Author Topic: Some how I got talked into going back to work...  (Read 3565 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Some how I got talked into going back to work...
« on: February 16, 2023, 07:40:20 AM »
 ;D

I have a new project in the works.   Nothing crazy,  just developing 4 arces and 7 homes.

RIP. Inc is going strog.

( retirement  is pointless)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Some how I got talked into going back to work...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 02:43:09 PM »
Day 1 and I already had to tell a survey company to get lost.... asked for grade stakes for grabbing the road and they laid them for water, sewer, side walks and pi.....

Then tried to bill me for all of it.

Nope.... talk to the lawyer.  The contract is crystal clear.... you did the other work for free lol.  Its all going to get destroyed with grabbing anyways.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »
Day 1 and I already had to tell a survey company to get lost.... asked for grade stakes for grabbing the road and they laid them for water, sewer, side walks and pi.....

Then tried to bill me for all of it.

Nope.... talk to the lawyer.  The contract is crystal clear.... you did the other work for free lol.  Its all going to get destroyed with grabbing anyways.

Just like medical care, you have to ride herd on the contractors ALL. THE. TIME.

In ND, my little town was involved in replacing a county road (dirt up), and decided to piggyback upgrading the water, sewer and storm drain lines since the county was paying the big freight. The contractor put the water lines 18" under the ground surface. In ND. Where it gets -25F every winter. Yeah, they ate the cost of re-burying them 8 feet down where they belonged.

BTW, the so-called "inspectors" on the project signed off on the 18" work . . . .
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 07:56:59 AM »
Just like medical care, you have to ride herd on the contractors ALL. THE. TIME.

In ND, my little town was involved in replacing a county road (dirt up), and decided to piggyback upgrading the water, sewer and storm drain lines since the county was paying the big freight. The contractor put the water lines 18" under the ground surface. In ND. Where it gets -25F every winter. Yeah, they ate the cost of re-burying them 8 feet down where they belonged.

BTW, the so-called "inspectors" on the project signed off on the 18" work . . . .

18" deep might be fine someplace like Florida, but I think 18" deep will freeze in most states that have 4 distinct seasons (of 3 months length) per year. It doesn't take crazy sub-zero temps to freeze that far below the surface. They may as well have laid the pipes on the surface, crossed their fingers, and hoped the water would move fast enough not to freeze. And you know how well that would work.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 08:39:39 AM »
18" deep might be fine someplace like Florida, but I think 18" deep will freeze in most states that have 4 distinct seasons (of 3 months length) per year. It doesn't take crazy sub-zero temps to freeze that far below the surface. They may as well have laid the pipes on the surface, crossed their fingers, and hoped the water would move fast enough not to freeze. And you know how well that would work.

We have to be 4' here.  Even that is questionable in some places if there is no flow.   A sustained 0 for a few days would freeze at 18" with out lots of flow.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:58:52 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 11:47:28 AM »
Ah another reason to live below 34N. Generally we bury it deep enough so the landscaper doesn't hit it when planting new Azaleas or Magnolias.  ;)   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 08:48:11 AM »
Finally got all the pipe in the ground.  Had some weather delays. Grading crew starting Wednesday. If all goes well should be done by the 1st week in June.  Not building the homes, they did not like my price lol.   This retirement thing is hard. 

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »
This retirement thing is hard.

I think a lot depends on whether you can divorce yourself from your job and whether you have some replacement activity or hobby. (And of course sufficient funds.)

I've had 7 different fulltime careers, and all but two of them had hard deadlines.   While most were very rewarding, and I do miss the smell of grease paint and roar of the crowd, I don't miss the stress.   My grandchildren and hobbies have taken over my time and need for feeling useful.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 03:03:22 PM »
I quit feeling useful 17 years or so before I retired. But now I don't work as hard and don't punch a clock. Good thing too since I've been up I think 39 hours so far. I got some yard work done yesterday since I was up. I even had someone point out the difference between my yard and the yard next door. "Night" and "Day" he said, mine being day. I planned on going out to fix something else today, but it rained and I stayed in.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 07:59:11 AM »
Some how same investor wants me to do his next project... still not sure.  Feels great to be working, but I really don't need the money

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk