Author Topic: M U S E U M - S H I P S - W E E K E N D - 2 0 2 3  (Read 1337 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
M U S E U M - S H I P S - W E E K E N D - 2 0 2 3
« on: May 22, 2023, 05:19:21 PM »
We are 11 days away from another Museum Ships Weekend https://www.nj2bb.org/museum/.   97 ships are signed up so far....there should be well over 100 by the time it starts on 0000Z June 3, 2023.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: M U S E U M - S H I P S - W E E K E N D - 2 0 2 3
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 09:16:57 PM »
Holy ship! That's a lot of watercraft! Amateur Radio isn't my kind of thing but, I took a quick look at the list out of curiosity. I see ships from all over Europe on the list, and the LS Huron too.

I looked at the Huron Lightship Museum online not too long ago, and really should visit some day. It's only a 65 minute drive east on I-69 to Lake Huron where it's docked. It was the last operating lightship on the Great Lakes, and was dedicated as a National Historic Landmark in 1990. Admission would only cost me $7.00, and the Thomas Edison Depot Museum, a 2 minute drive away, would be another $7. I could entertain myself all day for $14 + the price of gas. If that's not enough to occupy my time, the Fort Gratiot Light Station is another 4 minute drive, and the Carnegie Center, with the Kammer Cabin living history exhibit, is only a 3 minute drive the other side of the Huron Lightship Museum. That would be a good starting point and could take all day. If it did, I could see all the rest another day. The two furthest of the four points are an 8 minute drive apart. The $7 admission to each place is still cheap entertainment compared to amusement parks, which is just about the only other place I (used to) buy tickets to.

I'm going over the whole Museum Ships list to see if I get any more ideas for a day trip or vacation.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 07:14:22 AM »
Since I'm hanging mainly on 20m working on VOTA (I finally snagged HI on 20m), I'll keep the list by the radio.   Would really be great if they were VOTA points as well.   I've become mostly a snob preferring to work VOTA points.   I'm about 170th in GA right now.

W4ADS
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 08:22:08 AM »
There are now 100 ships onboard for the event.  Below is a link to DxSummit where people post contact information.  If you click on it during the event you'll see where people are posting information for the 97 or so ships I've included (completed prior to update to 100 ships).  That information includes time and frequency so...if you're wondering where to tune your shortwave in to listen or your transceiver to get a contact this will help. 

Once you make a contact, if you delete it from the list of callsigns you'll see on DXSummit then you won't see that callsign again helping you to focus on the one's you haven't heard or made contact with. 

http://dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=K1USN,WA4USN,NI6IW,W5LEX,NB6GC,K6AA,N0P,NJ2BB,NI4BK,K4DSR,NI6BB,N4WIS,NE1PL,KH6BB,N5T,WW2OK,W4BSF,K8E,DL0MCM,DL0MFM,OE3XHS,W4NNK,KN4RAM,NE6JP,N1SLM,WW2IND,W2PE,NS7DD,NT4HI,W5KID,VK2VMP,W4A,WW2DD,WW2DEM,N5FKP,K2EAG,K5BS,OZ1RDN,CS5DFG,W1HNJ,R1LK,8S0HRA,W8AGB,K6JOB,K8JWB,DF0MF,DL0CUX,NM8GS,W2AQ,DL0BRF,ON9BD,N8LST,WW2LST,W1WCC,W5MSQ,PA37AC,K0FPO,PA6PARE,N6MSCO,N7F,K3SAV,OE6XMF%2F9,W6RO,PI4PHAL,WD4PBR,OE3XNO,N5E,DK0SN,W2C,W8COD,N1S,N5R,K5LDA,NJ6VT,NS6OI,VA2GNQ,EH5TOR,DL0DMB,DM200TUS,N8SUB,W7SUB,NB9QV,WW2SUB,IT1NS,N3ARB,CS5SUB,KH6SP,NM1JY,W1WQM,N7P,RU3AWK,N4HLH,N5H,W2LGA,W4AVM,K6YVM

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 10:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the DXSummit link.  I couldn't keep track otherwise. 
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:07:49 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 06:09:52 PM »
Pegleg, are you going to miss this by being at the beach again?

Mr. Kennedy...got your HF up and running?

Les, didn't you once have duty with an elephant cage?  Maybe you'd want to tune in on SW...

And anyone else????  It's pretty easy to listen in on a shortwave radio.  Anything below say 7.3 MHz it's lower sideband and above is upper sideband.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1404
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 09:22:07 AM »
Mr. Kennedy...got your HF up and running?

And anyone else????  It's pretty easy to listen in on a shortwave radio.  Anything below say 7.3 MHz it's lower sideband and above is upper sideband.

Nope. My stepson is coming over soon to help me with it. And please leave off the "Mr.". The name is Jim.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 02:58:16 PM »
No RCA plugs for my amp.  Dang.  So, running around 90-95 watts instead of 450 or so. 

Also, I am relying on the 80 meter loop and nothing else so...It's pretty much N-S orientation which makes it a little tough to contact all of the east coast and west coast ships. 

That said, I've gotten 16 contacts so far which isn't shaping up real well to match my previous high of 34 or so.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 04:55:42 PM »
OK Jim.  I'll drop the Mr.

How's that HF antenna going?  Do you have much space to put one up?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 05:34:36 PM »
I don’t know if I did or didn’t work any MSW.  I’m just camping on 20m FT8 and working anything I can.  Probably did 25 contacts last weekend.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk