Author Topic: SUPER El Niño 2023 is Going to be a Beast!  (Read 1230 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
SUPER El Niño 2023 is Going to be a Beast!
« on: June 29, 2023, 01:25:19 PM »
After being concerned about it for months, on June 8th, climate scientists confirmed the El Niño event for this year. They're calling it a Super El Niño, and this is going to be a really hot Summer. I already knew it was going to be a hot Summer, because I already had both air conditioners running before I woke up on the first day of Summer. I had them both running all night the last day of Spring. Before that I was running the one in the bedroom mainly at night and the one downstairs when I was down here, but it was staying too hot at night, and taking too long to cool off again. You can expect it to be even worse next year. Scientists are predicting 2024 to be the hottest year ever recorded! Just let that sink in for a moment, then reevaluate whatever opinion you may have about climate change. The warmer winters are nice, and as long as I'm not forced to live where it gets really hot and humid, like Louisiana, the summers are tolerable too. But there are some places it's going to get so hot, people will feel like they're going to spontaneously combust. But it's a dry heat. ;) ;D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: SUPER El Niño 2023 is Going to be a Beast!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 04:20:05 PM »
Don’t pull that “dry heat” crap on me.  It’ll kill you quicker than any 110% humidity in the low country. 

While this might be the hottest year ever recorded, in the big scheme of things that’s ~200 years if that. Even then how accurate where those measurements?  This will be far from the climate extreme over human history.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 08:13:55 AM »
To Alf's point, we are still moving out of an ice age, the fourth in a series over the past 750,000 years or so according tot he scientists. The last glaciers retreated in North America about 12,000 +/-years ago so it ain't been that long since we would have been freezing. 200 years is a VERY short timespan, geologically speaking. Not even a blink of the eye. It is our natural hubris to think it's all about us. Guess what, it's not.

Is the earth warming? Yes. No. Maybe. Don't know. What we do know is that various organizations who have been responsible for the data fed into the climate models (and that is all they are, models; think the spaghetti models for hurricanes) have "cooked the books" so to speak so they get the results they want - and that will give them the greatest financial rewards. And if they can't tell us if, where or when a hurricane will hit a specific point in 5 days, what makes you think they can predict the temperature in 100 years, 50 years, or even next year?

Besides, I learned a long time ago that all models are wrong. Some are useful.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 08:15:12 AM »
It won't be as deadly as a year there was no summer and people starved from lack of food, but this year will be a killer. All climate extremes suck, but when volcanic ash blocks out the sun it's not part of a yearly pattern, like increasing heat. This won't be the worst extreme, but it's a pattern.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 08:20:44 AM »
To Alf's point, we are still moving out of an ice age, the fourth in a series over the past 750,000 years or so according tot he scientists. The last glaciers retreated in North America about 12,000 +/-years ago so it ain't been that long since we would have been freezing. 200 years is a VERY short timespan, geologically speaking. Not even a blink of the eye. It is our natural hubris to think it's all about us. Guess what, it's not.

Is the earth warming? Yes. No. Maybe. Don't know. What we do know is that various organizations who have been responsible for the data fed into the climate models (and that is all they are, models; think the spaghetti models for hurricanes) have "cooked the books" so to speak so they get the results they want - and that will give them the greatest financial rewards. And if they can't tell us if, where or when a hurricane will hit a specific point in 5 days, what makes you think they can predict the temperature in 100 years, 50 years, or even next year?

I mostly agree with you. The weatherman can't even tell me if it's going to rain tomorrow or not. But there are signs they've been looking for that certain models predicted, and when those things happen it's like the magic 8 ball ALL SIGNS POINT TO...

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:38:11 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 09:15:22 AM »
Periodically I track our local weather prognosticator to see the accuracy.   I follow the WSB-TV weather who also, being owned by the same company, is the ATL Journal newspapers weather source.

Here's the rubs.

-TV News gives out weather predictions based on "daytime" highs and "overnight" lows.  This in contrast to the NWS and the "records" which are based on a 24hr day 00:00:00 to 23:59:59.  So sometimes the daily high isn't the daytime high and visa-versa.

-TV News rarely gives or at least dwells on yesterday's numbers.  And when they do they don't make it clear whether they reporting "daytime/nighttime" or 24hr day.

I base my data on the TV news projected highs and lows from their 6pm broadcast.  I record they projected high and low for next day, 3 days and 5 days.  I base my actuals on the NWS at Fulton County Airport, not ATL.  ATL numbers are skewed because of all the concrete and jet exhaust.   I record the time of each actual high and low.    Throw out the anomalies like overnight highs and daytime lows.

I only do this about once every year or two but here's what I found.

1)  On average they're usually within one or two degrees overall.  I've even heard them tout that number with pride.

2)  At least once, in every month I've charted, they're off on one predication by 5 to 7 degrees.    Usually they predict 7 degrees too high for a low. Let that sink in.   They might predict 35 for a low and the actual will be 28. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 01:31:12 PM »
But there are signs they've been looking for that certain models predicted, and when those things happen it's like the magic 8 ball ALL SIGNS POINT TO...

No, it's the broken clock syndrome, right twice a day. Or perhaps it's the "Throw enough crap on the wall and something is bound to stick" syndrome. Or "Even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while".

Whatever it is, it ain't science. It's a model, just a model.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 04:52:06 PM »
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2023, 06:47:12 PM »

I thought this was the fifth ice age that we are climbing out of. Fourth or fifth doesn't matter. Either one demonstrates that this earth has been there, done that in the past, and that while our activities may have some effect, it is going to happe one way or the other.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 10:56:23 AM »
I thought this was the fifth ice age that we are climbing out of. Fourth or fifth doesn't matter. Either one demonstrates that this earth has been there, done that in the past, and that while our activities may have some effect, it is going to happe one way or the other.

I learned a now-culture-appropriating insensitive and probably mysogenistic mnemonic for remembering the North American glaciations: Never Kick Indian Woman.
N - Nebraskan
K - Kansan
I - Iowan
W - Wisconsinan

These were all labeled indicating the southernmost advent of the ice sheet. Think about that for a moment. An ice sheet 3-9,000 meters thick sitting where Milwaukee is today.

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk