Author Topic: SOG Tellus FX Fixed Blade Knife  (Read 1126 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
SOG Tellus FX Fixed Blade Knife
« on: November 03, 2023, 11:35:09 AM »
I bought a SOG Cash Card Folding Knife and a SOG Tellus FX Fixed Blade Knife, and a pile of other stuff, from Midway USA. The Red Cash Card was on sale for $14.99 instead of $34.95, and the Blaze Orange SOG Tellus FX was on sale for $24.99 instead of $59.95. I'd much rather have an Olive Drab or Wolf Gray knife instead of blaze orange, but for ~58% less than the other 2, I had to buy the blaze orange. The Cash Card has a 2.75" blade and you can clip it to your pocket or use it as a money and card clip.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102521607?pid=568704

The Tellus FX has a 4.2" CRYO 440C stainless steel blade, with a hardness of Rc. 58-60, and an overall length of 9". The handle scales are GRN, Glass Reinforced Nylon, and the weight is 6.7 oz. The sheath is Sage color nylon, the same as the olive drab model, and incorporates SOG’s Universal Mounting System, UMS. The wolf gray knife has a wolf gray sheath.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102442486?pid=242569
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: SOG Tellus FX Fixed Blade Knife
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 12:08:44 PM »
I have other, bigger, hunting knives to carry in the woods, so decided to cut the blade down to 3" so I can carry it in Flint TWP and not be thrown in jail for doing so. I thought about cutting it back at about a 45 degree angle so it would still be kind of a clip blade, with the point terminating at the original bottom edge. Then I thought, this knife has a broad blade and full belly, so I can cut it straight off and make it into a cleaver style blade. There's enough of a taper left to make it easy to re-sheath.

I really didn't like the blaze orange handle, so I rubbed some USMC Black leather dye on it. I was hoping some would soak into the surface, or at least adhere to it. I ended up with a crappy, brownish rusty looking color that's easier on the eyes IMO. I'll see if any of it stays there long term, or if it all comes off on my hand.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 12:23:27 PM »
When I was filing the end of the blade after I cut it off, I had a little whoopsy. The knife was pointing straight up in the vise, and I pulled the tip of my left index finger against the edge of the blade on the backstroke. I cut it about 1/2" deep on an angle and immediately applied pressure. While maintaining pressure on it, I wrapped electrical tape around my finger, using it as a tourniquet and band-aid. 10 minutes later, when I was done filing on the knife I washed my hands. The tape was on for 15 minutes before I took it off, and I hadn't spilled a single drop of blood yet. But that was soon to change. I managed to get the bleeding slowed down enough to get a band-aid on, and another one over top of that, and another one over those two, trying to get them tight enough to stop the bleeding again. It didn't work, but it slowed way down.

So I went to the ER yesterday morning, and when I checked in I didn't have to sign anything. I was wondering if I would. With blood on both hands, I was kind of a walking bio-hazard, and they didn't want me touching anything I didn't have to. Because of where the cut was, the ER doctor said it would heal better, or faster, whatever, if it was glued together instead of stitched up. It took multiple tubes of glue to hold my finger together, but I can't remember if it was 3, or only 2.

Here's a picture of my ER doc. I didn't post any bikini pics but saw some online. She looks half my age and twice as good. ;) And she's twice as smart too. She wasn't the one sitting there bleeding on a surgical sponge. ;D She's a world traveler and a foodie with a big social media presence. She asked when my last tetanus shot was, and of course I didn't remember. I never do. So she said she'd give me another tetanus booster to get me  caught up. But she never came back, and when a discharge nurse finally came to the room to give me my instructions and let me go, she said I wasn't getting any medication. When I told her I was waiting for a tetanus shot, she said, "That's news to me." She took off and when she came back, she said I had one 2 years ago. Now I'm wondering, what the hell did I do 2 years ago that I needed to get a tetanus shot for? I still can't figure it out. I think 2 years ago was around the time I totaled out my truck, but I didn't even go to the hospital.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1440
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 12:34:43 PM »
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 01:07:24 PM »
And Board Certified in Emergency Medicine. Because I only deserve the best care.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:47:46 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 01:34:53 PM »
I forgot to mention something. There's a no weapons policy at the hospital, and you need to go through a metal detector when you use the emergency room entrance. You can walk right in the main entrance unguarded, but the ER has a metal detector and a guard. So I took everything out of my pockets except my hankie, and the metal detector went off when I walked through. I took my multi-tool out of the pouch and knife out of my pocket before I left home, and I didn't have a neck knife on. The security guard wanded me, and let me through. When I left, I told her I thought I knew what was setting off the big metal detector. I have Luxury Leather Laces from Lace Lab in my walking shoes. They have metal aglets on the ends, and since they can't be tied tight like normal laces, I had metal lace locks on them. I haven't made up my mind yet which looks better with the solid black shoes, silver or gold, so I have one of each and I'm asking people for their opinions. Sometime after I got home, I realized what actually set off the metal detector. It was the SOG SNARL knife clipped onto my belt, just a few inches to the left of my nylon belt buckle. I guess 2 ounces of steel was enough to set it off. ;D

https://www.lacelab.com/collections/luxury-leather-laces

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 03:02:47 PM »
All my medical docs are ladies.  GP, Cardio and  Derm.   What's really weird is I knew my GP when she was in going to high school.

A point of interest.  The Tetanus shot is a preventative one, not curative. 

From the Mayo Clinic: 
There's no cure for tetanus. A tetanus infection requires emergency and long-term supportive care while the disease runs its course.

So giving you the Tetanus vaccine if you already contracted the disease doesn't help, but it does guard against any of the buggers who are in the wound but haven't yet infected you.  Of course if it's been a couple of days and you've cleaned the wound multiple times...eh.  My mother use to wash wounds out with H2O2.    And in those days we also used Mercurochrome and had pHisohex, an anti-bacteria scrub.

Also the Mayo say boosters only needed once every 10 years.  No harm in more often though.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 04:00:58 AM »
I thought tetanus shots were every 10 years too, but the doctor asked if I had one in the last 5 years. I had a headache and my ears were ringing, but I think I know what I heard.

After about 45 hours I finally washed my hands and took the bandages off. They had some kind of anti-bacterial stuff in them. My finger doesn't look so good, but maybe it will be better tomorrow. If not, I'll go to the doctor. A piece of skin must have been glued to the bandage, because the back of my finger has a divot that was never there before. It hurt to unwrap it. The cut went from next to the crease at the joint all the way to the fingernail. If I didn't have a fingernail, I think the whole thing would have come off. Then I wouldn't know whether to leave it on the basement floor or take it to the ER with me. I have a little bit of leather dye on my hand, but not on that nasty looking finger. The pictures get progressively worse.

Don't click on a pic or you may get sick.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 11:42:57 AM »
Yuk.  I'm glad you'll recover though.  Always good to know when to seek medical attention.

Just had my wife's best friend's husband sit in his easy chair, suffer two heart attacks, with all the appropriate symptoms and failed to call 911.   She called, but not until his head flopped back and his eyes rolled over.  Funeral on Tuesday.

Be careful out there.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 09:40:50 PM »
Dang Alf.  You are a party killer.  Back on the diet after I take an aspirin.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk