Author Topic: Black Friday Sales -- Post Them Here  (Read 2530 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Black Friday Sales -- Post Them Here
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2023, 01:43:32 PM »
I have a UPS running my Internet modem, router and VOIP (plus a small night/light).  I've got the 2,400Wh solar unit in the garage that I can power lights and freezers with.  The truck has a 300W unit but the engine must be running.  This will be for those occasions where I'm either away from the truck or I don't want to idle it for several hours just to get 120Vac.  Plus I can charge it off the solar cells at home. 

Over Halloween to run my SFX for the kiddo's I opted a long extension cord.  Now the whole thing can go anywhere.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2023, 12:06:38 PM »
I remember your solar unit in your garage.  Now that it has some age on it is there anything else you'd do with it?  I hope to gather up a solar backup system after the holidays so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 09:26:58 AM »
I think I'd go with a 2,000W inverter instead of the 1,000W one.  Most of the hand-held power tools draw too much to use on the current inverter.  Of course that would mean going up a size in wiring and main fuse.

It powers my bench grinder and belt sander and all my various battery chargers, including the Jackery portable I just added.  I'm fairly please with it as BACKUP unit.  While it is on wheels, because I went with Gel batteries it's very heavy.  While that's a downer it's not worth the price of LiFeP batteries. 
Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2023, 11:58:19 AM »
I STILL don't have a UPS Battery Backup for my computer. I really should get one this winter, before rain freezes on trees all over the city and weighs them down. The ice usually doesn't take trees down, but snaps off a lot of branches every year. When my power goes out, it's almost always just a blink before the next transformer or substation, whatever, has the power back to 100%. Just long enough to where I have to reset several digital clocks. But once in the 32 years I've been here, the power was out for several hours. If I didn't have a sleeping bag and battery powered camping lantern, I would have been VERY cold, sitting in the dark. At least the gas and water still worked so I could cook, and make full use of the indoor plumbing, instead of going in the back  yard like an animal.  If I had a UPS on the computer, if it was big enough, I could turn off the computer and plug in the chest freezer if the power went out a long time again. The freezer is only about 4' from my desk, in the dining room. I don't think it would fit down my basement stairs, and never felt like trying it. My freezer and stove are on opposite sides of the wall so I only have to walk through the doorway to get from one to the other.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2023, 03:25:32 PM »
I think I'd go with a 2,000W inverter instead of the 1,000W one.  Most of the hand-held power tools draw too much to use on the current inverter.  Of course that would mean going up a size in wiring and main fuse.

It powers my bench grinder and belt sander and all my various battery chargers, including the Jackery portable I just added.  I'm fairly please with it as BACKUP unit.  While it is on wheels, because I went with Gel batteries it's very heavy.  While that's a downer it's not worth the price of LiFeP batteries.

So why the gel instead of the LiFeP? 

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:57:52 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2023, 08:59:23 AM »
So why the gel instead of the LiFeP?

<SHORT VERSION>    Cost.  1/5 the cost of LiFeP.

<FULL STORY>

LiFeP has two major advantages.

1) Its cycle life (50%+ discharge and back to full) is somewhere in the 7,000 range.  If you discharged it every day then it would last ~10 years.
2) Very light weight compared to Gel (20%-25% of a Gel cell).

Disadvantages:

1) Cost.  4x to 5x what a Gel Cell costs
2) Can be ruined in freezing weather.   it's the charging cycle that kills them and most caution about using them below 40f.  You can; install it in a heated environment, or don't use it below 40f, or pay even more for cells with a built in heater, which shortens the capacity.
3) Complicated.  Very complicated internally, which multiplies the possible points of failures.  Not like the old NiCd days.  If one of your Li power tools goes defunct, crack open the case and take a peak.

I have yet to fully (50%) discharge my batteries, so the increased cycle life of LiFeP is no advantage in a purely backup situation.  The weight is a bummer but I only plan on rolling it from one side of the garage to the other.

One other thing: LiFeP  and Gel cells nor do not self-conflagrate,  That is they won't catch on fire by themselves and they won't sustain a fire.   Unlike Lithium Cobalt, LiCoO2, and Lithium Manganese, LiMnO2 which are used in cars, scooters, etc.. and catch fire seemingly frequently.  I've notice Golf Cart makers tend to use LiFeP rather than the others.  I
Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2023, 08:12:33 PM »
Thanks.  Your explanation just saved me a ton of research time.  I read where LiFeP batteries need to be heated...I did not know they could be ruined by cold weather though.  I just thought that it was a capability diminishment. 

And yes, complexity is a bugaboo.  Especially when you come to rely on something.

Self-conflagration....I did not know that LiFeP were safe in that manner...gel cells yes.  We used a lot of those offshore for backup power to start equipment from a cold start condition. 

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2023, 09:40:25 PM »
Blk lbl had $100 off.  I bought 2...

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2023, 03:59:59 PM »
Storacell has The Festive Duo Combo Pack for just $6.55. Each of these battery  caddies normally sells for $4.95 and they aren't available in these colors. So you save $3.55 and get a limited edition. The code for buying 5 or more could apply, but these sets probably count as one item if it does.

https://storacell.net/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2023, 04:20:41 PM »
Blk lbl had $100 off.  I bought 2...

I like the idea of those, but like how small my UTG Pro Super Slim M-LOK Handguard feels. It's only 2.2" tall and under 2" wide. The BLK LBL is narrow enough but it's 2.56" tall and weighs twice as much. I'll stick a bipod on the rifle when I want to, like an  8"-12" center height UTG Recon 360 TL Bipod, M-LOK for 90 bucks if the bipod I already have doesn't work out. And do without the excess weight the rest of the time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk