Author Topic: Well It was nice while it lasted  (Read 2087 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Well It was nice while it lasted
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2023, 03:39:42 PM »
There are about 50 C5M models flying see screen shot from ADS-B tracking.

The main problem is USAF/DOD/Congress wanted EVERYTHING NEW.   Well that takes a while to design and assemble so by the time the first a/c rolled out it was already out dated.  The other problem is with so many untried, untested NEW systems the problem multiply exponentially. 

One good example on was the Inertial Nav system on the early models.  All brand new design.  Somewhere north of $100k.  Only one gyro.  Very fragile. Placed in the nose cone (why nobody knows).  Very heavy, ~100 pounds, with all the black boxes.  AND voluminous.  I think somewhere around 18cuft all told.  At the same time Boing was shipping there 747 with 3 (THREE) Honeywell, off the shelf INS systems.  Three system that I think ran a total of 20#ea, cost $10kea and only occupied about 4 rack units in a STANDARD 19" rack.

Somewhat reminds me of the old joke about NASA's high dollar space pens vs Russian pencils.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2024, 01:34:24 AM »
<snip>... It's been awhile since I've had one stolen, but had a total or 4 Polaris ATVs stolen from my driveway. <snip>

Somebody did you a favor...

By stealing the world's best selling ATVs from me? I don't think so! And before you say it, they
weren't the world's best selling just because they kept getting stolen and had to be replaced.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2024, 02:08:01 AM »
Somewhat reminds me of the old joke about NASA's high dollar space pens vs Russian pencils.

There are a ridiculous number of people who think that old joke is true. Social media users are re-sharing old posts saying NASA spent a decade and millions (if not billions) of dollars of tax-payers' money developing pens for its astronauts, while Russia made do with pencils. But the Russians weren't dumb enough to have pencil shavings floating around from sharpening them, wreaking havoc wherever they went. So they developed a trillion dollar pencil sharpener with a vacuum attachment and multi-stage HEPA filtration system.  ;D  No, not really. The Fisher Pen Company funded the Space Pen's development, not by NASA, and it was used by both American astronauts and Russian cosmonauts.

It reminds me of a meeting we had at work where someone from upper management was addressing us mere peons. According to someone working for GM who was well enough educated to be be an assistant plant manager (<-- well, there's your problem, right there ;)), the Chevy Nova had terrible sales in Mexico because no va means it doesn't run (literally not going) in Spanish. Most people in their right mind, no matter what language they spoke would probably look at the single word nova and think it means new, like a new star, if they attached any meaning to it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2024, 02:33:16 AM »
A couple more F***ing aircraft nicknames you may or may not know.  ;)

B-52 bomber, BUFF, Big Ugly Fat F***er. I've known that one for a very long time, but not the next one.

A-7 attack plane, SLUF, Short Little Ugly F***er.  It was based on the F-8 fighter, shortened by nearly 10 feet, restricted to subsonic speeds, and simpler and cheaper to make.

As far as I know, the only U.S. military helicopter* that wasn't named after a Native American tribe was the Cobra, and I still have no idea why. AFAIK, it didn't have a nickname like those planes did, but in Vietnam the pilots were called Snake Drivers. How cool is that?  Not all pilots get their own group nickname like that. I always liked the sound of that, but I don't think I would have made a good Cobra pilot. The cockpit looks like it's barely wider than my shoulders. Even if I fit in it I'd get claustrophobic in no time. I'd be the guy you see with the window rolled down and his arm stretched out on the windowsill.  ;D 

* Not counting variants, like Pave Hawks based on Black Hawks, etc., where the original model DID have a First Nations' name.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2024, 10:39:08 AM »
The SR-71 has been known as Habu.  The Habu is an extremely venomous snake native to Okinawa, Kadena AFB there being a major SR-71 base during the '70s.  Those associated with the SR-71 (and it's variants) are called Haburats.  I was not one.  I was however a MAC Trained Killer. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:14:20 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2024, 01:51:35 PM »
The SR-71 has been known as Habu.  The Habu is an extremely venomous snake native to Okinawa, Kadena AFB there being a major SR-71 base during the '70s.  Those associated with the SR-71 (and it's variants) are called Haburats.  I was not one.  I was however a MAC Trained Killer.

My neighbor's dad was one. I knew the man very well (his family and mine were "generational neighbors" and still are.....he passed away last year) and I was in my late 40's before he ever let on that he worked on the development phases of the SR-71.
He had had knee replacement surgery and we were visiting him one day and he got to talking about all the things that went on an how secretive they had to be back then. He talked for a long time saying they had declassified a lot of it years ago and he could talk now, but since he had never told anyone about it before nobody knew to ask.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2024, 02:15:19 PM »
It reminds me of a meeting we had at work where someone from upper management was addressing us mere peons. According to someone working for GM who was well enough educated to be be an assistant plant manager (<-- well, there's your problem, right there ;)), the Chevy Nova had terrible sales in Mexico because no va means it doesn't run (literally not going) in Spanish. Most people in their right mind, no matter what language they spoke would probably look at the single word nova and think it means new, like a new star, if they attached any meaning to it.

I used to work in an ad agency, the biggest independent HQ'd in Chicago. One of the stories I heard was of AMC coming up with a mighty and awe-inspiring name for their sports car, the Matador! Then they went and test marketed it and everyone loved the name - except in the Puerto Rico test market the car dropped like a lead turd. Turns out, in idiomatic Spanish, matador is an assassin.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2024, 03:01:39 PM »
But it turns out the exec's at AMC didn't care.  They named it Matador anyway.  Should have saved their money and not done the focus groups.

Which reminds me.  I took a class (believe it or not a whole college class) on corporate relocation.  Our team was given a supposedly real life example as a project.  We spent hours researching the proposed cities.  Labor, economy, transportation, natural resources, taxed, etc.  Gave our presentation, made our recommendation, got an "A".  I then asked that if this was from a real life scenario what did this company actually decide to do.   Prof said the relocated to Vale, CO.   VALE?  That wasn't even close to the cities they had recommended. WHY?  It met none of the requirements, had none of the resources.  Answer?  Because the CEO liked to ski.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1423
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2024, 03:06:26 PM »
  Answer?  Because the CEO liked to ski.

Don't you love it when, in life, people ask you for your advice, you spend time to help them, and they turn around and ignore your information? This has happened TOO many times in my life.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2024, 07:05:49 PM »
Interesting on the SR-71 was that the fuel guys had to put fuel in , take fuel out and then put some back in again...with the people watching never knowing how much fuel it took on as to gauge just how far it was going to go.  A friend of mine was in defense fuels and relayed the story...he said every time a Blackbird took off there seemed to be a food truck parked on public property under the takeoff path.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk