Author Topic: I finally got new wheels  (Read 512 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
I finally got new wheels
« on: April 12, 2024, 07:21:46 AM »
I finally got new wheels on the Yukon Wednesday. My old, peeling chrome-plated wheels leaked like a sieve, almost, but not quite. I ordered a set of black 10-spoke Dirty Life Roadkill matte black/black fake beadlock wheels from Discount Tire ($174 apiece) and was supposed to have them installed 4 or5 days later. They were the cheapest 20" wheels that fit, and would have had an offset of 13mm less, or an inch wider vehicle width. A guy called me from the store Monday and said the company that made them didn't have any, and didn't know when they would have them. He asked what I was looking for and I told him didn't want to spend any more than I had to. He called me back and said he would let me have a set of 9-spoke Vision Turbine gunmetal machined face wheels ($189.95 apiece) for the same price, $696 instead of $759.80. So I saved $63.80. Plus I save 5% with my military discount when I placed the original order. That was -$43.45 off the price of parts and installation, and our 6% sales tax was $43.77, so it almost covered that. The total was $869.32 out the door, and anything under $1,200 isn't too bad, considering the price of some of the other wheels, which run up to $698.00 each. I'll walk before I spend $2,800 plus parts and labor on a set of wheels.

They have the same 18mm offset, vs. the factory wheels' 31mm offset, and weigh 36 pounds each. It's a good thing they're aluminum! The other wheels are 42 pounds apiece, so I have a total of 24 pounds less weight than I would with the wheels that have 1 more spoke. I'm not worried about the 403 and 417 lb-ft of torque of the beast being able to handle the weight, but less rotating mass is always better. On the way home it rode like the tires were out of balance, but the tire pressure monitor told me all 4 tires were overinflated to different degrees. When I drop the pressure down to the proper 32 PSI, or 33, I'll see how it rides. Hopefully they balanced the wheels and didn't just slap the old tires on and call it good. I like the website's feature that lets you see how the wheels would look on your car before you buy them. If you car hasn't been crashed into, that is. I think the wheels I actually got at a discount look better than the ones I ordered.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/vision-turbine?codes=59172%2C59173%2C103441

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/dirty-life-roadkill?codes=62081%2C62083%2C62082%2C62079
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk