Author Topic: What's the story on "Green Tip" Ammo in 5.56  (Read 248527 times)

fullautovalmet76

What's the story on "Green Tip" Ammo in 5.56
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:52:02 PM »
I sometimes buy ammo from the Ammoman.com. The site advertises ammo in 5.56 that is green tipped. I don't know what that is supposed to mean. Would someone clue me in, please?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's the story on "Green Tip" Ammo in 5.56
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
I sometimes buy ammo from the Ammoman.com. The site advertises ammo in 5.56 that is green tipped. I don't know what that is supposed to mean. Would someone clue me in, please?

I believe that green tip is the M855 ammo, with the SS109 bullet, which has a steel penetrator core. Usually more expensive than the "normal" plinker ammo, usually flagged M193 (IIRC).
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the link, Hazcat! It completely answered my question.

-G

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »
We but exist to serve.  ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:21:17 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 01:32:36 AM »
For anyone who doesn't want to read the whole article:

Regular ball ammo is plain with no paint.
Armor piercing ammo is black tipped.
M855/SS109 is green tipped because it as a hybrid ball with penetrator.

As far as I know there aren't any other calibers with green tips.
The bullets will actually stick to a magnet but not really well.
Some people selling it advertise it as armor piercing ammo but it's not.
You can also get ammo with the same bullet weight without a penetrator.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
I do have one other question. According to the article the round is designed for barrels with a 1:7 twist; my barrel has a 1:9 twist. Given this, will the round still perform with a reasonable degree accuracy? Instead of getting 1 or 2 MOA at 100 yds., will I hit something on the planet Jupiter instead?  ;)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »
That bullet and similar weights will work GREAT in a 1:9 twist. The 1:7 is designed for the (extra long) tracer bullets. There's some argument about whether or not it was even neccesary for them. Winchester 64-grain PSP should work if you want to shoot game up to deer size.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »
JumboFrank,
I thought it might work, but I wanted to consult more experienced shooters with this type of rifle on this one...Thanks again!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 07:27:59 PM »
I copied this from www.cactustactical.com/reloading/tips2.doc

Long Range Shooting Secrets
Bullets Tips

Rifle Twist Rates

.223 / 5.56mm
      1:14         up to 55 grains
      1:12         55 – 63 grains
      1:9           63 – 70 grains
      1:8           70 grains or more

It not that clearly defined in real life. For 62 grain bullets I'd still take a 1:9 over a 1:12 no matter what they say. A barrel in with a twist in between those two like a 1:10.5 would be even better, but I'm not buying a custom barrel. I shoot 55 grain bullets out of the fast 1:7 and 1:9 twists because those are the barrels I have and 55 grain ammo is cheaper. It just won't have great accuracy because it's over-stabilized.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk