Author Topic: 5.56 brass discoloration?  (Read 5433 times)

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
5.56 brass discoloration?
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:06:59 PM »
Hey Guys. I have a question that I haven't found the answer to. In a lot of the ammo pictures I see, the brass is discolored about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. It looks like it has been heated up and altered. The description almost always says that the ammo is "new production". What is up with brass? Is it okay to shoot and store? I am wanting to stock up in case a majority of Free Americans volunteer to no longer be free this Nov.

Thanks for any help or info you might have.

p.s. Tried to add a pic but couldn't seem to do it yet.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/ai223pp55B_thm.jpg
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: 5.56 brass discoloration?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:25:36 PM »
very normal...  it was anealed at the factory, very normal.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:27:55 PM »
 ::) Of Course. Been out of it for awhile and couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Thanks for the help.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:43:47 AM »
5.56mm military type ammo is neck annealed and I believe .223 commercial cases are too but are polished afterward so you don't see the discoloration. Pretty brass sells more ammo.  :)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
Most of my new .223 shows the discoloration.  All of my new and purchased reload .22-250 shows it, but I don't see it in larger calibers.  You guy's gave me a chance to go play in the gun room and play with ammo this morning ... Thanks  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:05:24 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk