Author Topic: Colt Match Target HBAR or Bushmaster M4 A3 or Smith & Wesson M&P 15???  (Read 33498 times)

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Colt Match Target HBAR or Bushmaster M4 A3 or Smith & Wesson M&P 15???
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 04:20:27 PM »
OK....thanks for the replies guys...much appreciated.  I just learned that I have a chance at a Sig 556 this weekend....NOW what do I do.  Sig 556 opinions welcomed.

Thanks again.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 05:16:50 PM »
I've heard only great reviews of the 556, and not much bad about anything else SIG makes.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »
The Sig 556 is heavier. around 8.8 lbs. It is also heavier forward until loaded, than it achieves a wonderful balance.  Gas operated with 2 stage positioning, in case of lots and lots of shooting, position 2 gives more venting. USSA (the Moderator) for this thread, is doing a torture test on one currently. He was around 800 rds. with no love or cleaning, and NO problems. Waiting for the next follow up report.

The factory sights, frankly, stink, plan on some type of optics. I slapped a NcStar on it and to 100 yds. it is dead on. Mine also hated Wolf ammo, It may have been too new earlier this Spring, and may shoot them now, but it prefers full power 5.56 rounds, or any other name brand .223. Takes PMAGS, surplus AR mags, and the trigger pull is sweet.

Had a squib round damage the crown of the barrel, and customer service replaced it in 2 weeks for around $75.00 and shipping.

Michael Bane may still have his review on video here in the archives or product reviews.  It is good to watch.

Picitinny rails all over it, built very well.

You have a number of good options in front of you, and personal choice and application will lead you to the right one.

Plus it just looks cool. 8)
Let us know how it works out, post pics, and get quick.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  I just re-watched Michael's video review of the Sig 556 and I must say there were many smiling faces all around after shooting the Sig.  Walt Rausch was especially effusive and impressed with the rifle...predominanty over the trigger and its resulting accuracy right out of the box.  Michael mentioned that it doesn't "feel" like an AR 15.  Can anyone explain in what way it is different to shoot, aside from the weight?

Lastly, what is a going price for the Sig 556 these days.  I'm anxious to have a look at one...hopefully in a couple of days.

Thanks again everyone.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »
Gunsamerica.com has Sig556 for $1300 to unreal.  I paid almost $1100.00 NIB back in Feb. Prices have gone steadily up.

Check all resources online and local for the best price. It is right about what others toward the top will cost.

Partner of mine got a M+P 15T for $899.00 not a bad deal at all, (and its a fine rifle built with STAG specs) but compared to the Sig, feels like a feather. HBAR and other AR variants are just gripped differently. IMHO, the "feel" is similiar to grabbing a good ol' Ruger 10/22 and than grabbing a 300 Win. or Rem 700. They may shoot the same 5.56/.223 but the grip, receiver, (sorry hard to put in words), IS different. Kinda like driving a F150,all's good, and than getting in an F350 with a tow package. Kinda the same truck but Not.

Maybe MB can elaborate, it does not "feel" like an AR type, maybe its the balance.  But when I "turned it up" against cinder blocks, an old Dell Monitor, and some pumpkins, others stopped shooting to watch me roll through (5) 30 rd. clips as fast as I could rock n roll. ;D Nothing was left but some ghoulash and glass.

I can't quite describe the "it" factor,  I know others have their own thoughts. But if you can get any of the previous brands listed you won't be disappointed. Test drive them if you can.  Pick one your going to use it for, and go get one..

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 12:43:03 PM »
Did a quick search on the SIG556.  Able Ammo has it for 1500 w/holosight and Dynamic Armament has the same for 1800.  Weight is 7.8#.  Has collapsable stock.  If I was looking, I would probably get the SIG.
DesertMarine

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
Thanks guys for all your thoughtful and thorough replies.  I right now have a few local options that I am mulling over.  I just found out that a dealer I frequent will be getting in some Sig 556 Halo rifles, the version with the SeeMore holographic sight, which would be the model I would want.  Not sure when they will come in but the guess is within a few weeks.  Their price is $1,550 and I am seriously thinking that that could be the way to go after viewing Michael's video on the rifle in the Tactical Rifle section of the DRTV Videos.

Alternatively, I can pick up today, locally, either a Bushmaster M4 A3 for $1,099, a Colt Match Target 20" for $1,299 or a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 flat top with no sights for $899.

That Sig DOES look nice!!  This one is tough.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »
The only real big complaint I've read about on the reviews of the Sig 556 is the really cheap plastic used throughout the rifle with respect to its furniture.  It also appears to be loosely fitted which can be felt when shot....for a gun as well thought out as this and for an expensive price, I'm a bit surprised if this is true.  Can anyone who has shot or held this rifle comment if these issues are true?. 

It may be a few weeks before my local dealer gets the Sigs in in to see and feel for myself.  Part of me says to go and get the Colt Match Target right now and another part of me says to hold off and wait to see the Sig.  Unfortunately, the option of getting two is non existent....so I need to pick one. By the way, I tried tonight a S&W M&P15 and a Bushmaster M4A3 (NY State "post ban" versions with the ridiculous pinned/welded "unretractable" stock) and was very disappointed with the tons of creep in both triggers.  The Sig sounds like it has a marvelous trigger and the Colt Match Target I've tried is a bit heavy but breaks like a glass rod with no creep.

I really want to see the Sig 556 but probably will risk losing the Colt while I wait.  No Colts appear to be arriving anywhere these days.  I would love a Colt M4 but to find one that is NY State compliant is a monumental task it appears.  The Match Target would have to do.

Thanks

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 08:15:38 PM »
As an owner of a Sig 556, and only speaking as as an owner,  opinions will differ as to the comfort and feel. "cheap plastic" is IMHO an insult, (not from you), but the difference MB was talking about not feeling like an AR. The foregrip is two piece and locks in place around the barrel assembly rather soundly.

Sig didn't just throw this rifle out there like some other AR varients, it is different than an M+P, or Olympic, or others that "feel" llike a traditional AR platform.

The "furniture" could be considered on other models, but that will be ultimately up to you. I don't feel it or consider it a factor.
Col. Jeff Cooper.

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
I apologize for posting too early. I was photobucketing and etc,...

Anyway, the Sig is not an AR "feeling" rifle, but is built well, and opinions will carry from each person differently.

I have not had any FTF, FTE, or any other issues with good ammo. Customer service was spot on, and if its what YOU are looking for will be a good choice.

The others previously posted will do what they were built to do, and will depend on how you apply their use.

I have others on my short list, but can honestly say the Sig556 kicks a**.

Others will as well, just my .02cents,...  Oh, I owe after Obama gets in office, .29 cents, so I'll have to put it on my TAB. ::)
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk