Author Topic: Colt Match Target HBAR or Bushmaster M4 A3 or Smith & Wesson M&P 15???  (Read 33496 times)

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Colt Match Target HBAR or Bushmaster M4 A3 or Smith & Wesson M&P 15???
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »
That is a gorgeous rifle TW....many thanks for taking the time to post the photos of your Sig 556.  I was surprised and taken aback by the plastic comments I read on some of the reviews and agree that it is insulting.  I know Sig has always made a top quality product and to think that they would cut corners on this new rifle, when so much thought and effort has gone into its development, makes little sense.

I am anxious for my dealer to get his shipment of Sigs and think it will be worth the wait.  Can you tell me what you like most about the rifle and also describe the feel of the trigger.  It seems a foregone conclusion with many AR 15 owners that the triggers are awful out of the box, with the exception of a few makers.  It seems Sig has done an excellent job in this regard from what I have read as well as Walt Rausch's comments in Michael's video.

Thanks again TW...much appreciated and congratulations on a great rifle.  What scope is that you have mounted on your Sig?  The one my dealer is getting has a SeeMore Halo sight....no idea if they are any good, but one review stated that it was hard to see in the sunlight.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »
From what I hear, the SIG appears to be a great rifle.  For my Oly AR I will be getting an Aimpoint sight for it.  I am not familiar with the holo sight on the SIG, so no comment.  I have two nephews, one retired Army Ranger MSGT with tours from Desert Storm to Iraq and Afghanistan and the other Army 10thMtn, LERP and SpecOps and Marine Recon.  They both recommended the Aimpoint, having used different sights in combat.  Just a suggestion.
DesertMarine

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:14 AM »
Agreed DesertMarine.  It appears the state of the art for red dot sights are the Aimpoint and EOtech as they are both widely used by our military.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »
Hey CDR, I haven't made the transition to Holo, or Red-Dot, I'm, I guess, just a traditional crosshair guy. The scope is a NcStar 6x42 P4. It has an illuminated reticle in green or red, with adjustable brightness. Quick yardage compensator on top. Very budget oriented, (to buy more mags and ammo).  8)

I enjoy the extra weight," feels"  very, very solid when fired. For me, when shooting slowly, the recoil doesn't even move the rifle off target, and the field of view remains on the target.  At 100yds. or less, it is right at POA.  If I had a local facility that had 200-250-275 yds. or more, I'm confident it could consistently reach out. I never really purchased it for long range apps anyway.

I put a plain black vertical fore grip up front, after trying with and without, and the ergonomics "feel" better with it on. (IMHO).
No other plans to add light, lasers, hood ornaments, or accessories. Although, it has the rails for it.

The trigger, when slow precision firing, on a rest has some travel to the "break". I usually take up the travel and the pressure needed to send the round "downrange" is just a little "pressure". In "fun" mode, the trigger is reset almost instantly, and travels right back. I have no problem with the trigger. I don't have a trigger pull tool, but it cant be that much? Does anyone else know?

The factory sights are a ligit complaint, flip down huge blade up front, and thats it.

Hope it works out for you to get one. 
Good shooting.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »
OK......I found out today that Sig Sauer, for the four states that require post pan configurations, i.e. New York, New Jersey, California and Massachusetts, don't do what every other AR manufacturer does with respect to the stock and compensator.  They don't pin/lock the retractable stock, they replace it with an A2 style solid stock.  Further, they don't pin and weld the compensator, they remove it.  I must say that I am bummed by this as I feel it completely changes the look of the rifle for the worst.  This is the only configuration that they will ship to these four states as confirmed by my conversation directly with Sig Sauer.  It's bad enough we have to comply with the absurdity of these rules, but Sig could have at least maintained the look of the rifle and still complied, just like Bushmaster, Colt and all the others do.  I even put a $100 deposit on the Sig 556, prior to learning this, which is expected to arrive in a week or so but am turned off by the modifications.  There are a couple on Gunbroker with the A2 stock and removed compensator if you are curious what the converted Sig looks like.

Lastly, I have a lead on a Colt M4 Match Target, New in Box, which is as scarce as it gets for an M4 these days....about $60 less than the Sig.  I'm seriously considering the Colt given what Sig did to the 556 to make it post ban.  Any opinions are welcome.

Sponsor

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 09:11:52 AM »
OMG. A couple at Gunboker are selling for almost 4 times what I paid for my first AR-15. I didn't see the converted 556 but I can imagine what they look like. The folding stock version sure looks good.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »
OK...I went with the NIB Colt Match Target M4.  The modifications Sig Sauer has made to the 556 for the four postban only states is completely unacceptable and horribly executed, IMHO.  They could have secured the collapsable stock instead of putting a solid A2 style stock, which destroys the look of the rifle.  They also could have pinned the compensator instead of just removing it. Those two modifications are what all the other manufacturers do for those lucky enough to live in the states of NY, NJ, MA and CA.

The Colt box was still sealed when I arrived at the shop. I picked it up this weekend and also got a few of the Colt 9 round magazines, the same ones that come with the AR.  More importantly, I was fortunate enough to also pick up, at the same gun shop, four 30 round preban magazines that are brand new old stock and legal in New York State.  Magazines manufactured prior to September 13, 1994 are legal but scarcer then hens teeth these days.....  ;D

Thanks everyone who replied for all your assistance.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 06:31:09 PM »
Ahemmm ..... of course you know....there will need to be pictures..
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »
But of course..... :D

I will be happy to......right after I get to play with it and take it out of its box on Christmas Day.  It gives me time to look at Aimpoints, EOTechs and ACOGs as well as all the tremendous information found on ar15.com. 

Here's a great article I found last night on keeping your AR running.  Pat Rogers, who writes for SWAT magazine, wrote this article and contributes regularly to the site.  He's a fountain of knowledge and a top national instructor on the AR 15 platform.

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »
But of course..... :D

I will be happy to......right after I get to play with it and take it out of its box on Christmas Day.  It gives me time to look at Aimpoints, EOTechs and ACOGs as well as all the tremendous information found on ar15.com. 

Here's a great article I found last night on keeping your AR running.  Pat Rogers, who writes for SWAT magazine, wrote this article and contributes regularly to the site.  He's a fountain of knowledge and a top national instructor on the AR 15 platform.

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

I know where you're coming from.
A couple of years ago my wife and I passed a hardware store while returning from a 'Friday after T-Day' shopping adventure. They had a sign that said 'All Guns Reduced For Clearance'. Of course I did a U-turn. They had a neat little single shot .223 that I liked and it was priced at $200 out the door. The wife said it could be a Christmas present, along with a varmint scope I had on order already for another rifle. So, I had to take it home and wait 'til Christmas to play with it.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk