Author Topic: Perfect .22 cal plinker  (Read 23629 times)

wheels

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
That is the one I was talking about earlier
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 11:02:20 AM »
This gun is kinda like a .22 cal version of a .357. This gun you pictured is the answer to the model 617. It also has a very heavy trigger pull. Plus the black sights make it very difficult to aim. This gun is also very heavy. White out will fix the front sight but the trigger is still difficult. The price is about right.

Snake45

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Perfect .22 cal plinker
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 11:14:11 AM »
The Taurus 94 is built on their small frame--same size as the Smith 317 you posted.

25 ounces is not heavy. That's on the light end of the weight I want in a handgun. In your initial criteria, you said you wanted to use the gun for competition. You wouldn't want to go any lighter.

Black sights make it difficult to aim? White-Out on the front sight? Dude, I really don't know what to tell you at this point.
And he's dreaming about an intruder or two
And the promise of burglar blood,
And he's yearning to chew on a gangster tattoo
And to hear the proverbial sickening thud...

--Warren Zevon, "Rottweiler Blues," Mutineer c1995

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 08:31:43 PM »
That Taurus looks sweet.  But...4" for competition shooting...I don't know if you can shoot any of the run and gun stuff with a .22...they usually require .38 super or larger.  A 4" gun may be just as accurate as a 7-1/2" or longer barreled gun....but its the sight radius that makes the difference.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

jbbooks

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 11:18:23 PM »
First of all I'd like to say that .22 ammo isn't crap as long as you aren't buying the cheap stuff. If you buy the bulk boxes you will occasionally get a misfire, but a rimfire round by the very nature of the priming system will have an odd bad round. I used to compete in bullseye and used a S&W model 41 and it never jammed. You are in MHO giving the Ruger a bad rap as well. I've been shooting for going on 50 yrs, and I've never found a perfect gun/ammo combination. Anything mechanical will have a failure at some point. I have a single six that I bought in '67 and it's the one gun I'd keep if I could only have one gun in the safe.
Quit being so demanding from your gun/ammo and enjoy the shooting!

wheels

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 09:12:52 AM »
My intention of this post is to get a better stock .22 from the manufactures. The gun should not cost an arm and a leg, be easy to shoot and easy to clean. The trigger pull on the wheel guns is very hard. Your s&W 41 is a pretty expensive gun isn't it?  I think it would be great to have a gun made that every shooter would benefit from. This discussion is providing something valuable. With luck, the gun manufactures are reading this as well.

I love to shoot and enjoy every bit of it. I am having great fun with the .22 H&R.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:54:50 AM »

MaSIGshooter

• Forum Member
  • "SnowShooter"
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »
I recently purchased a S&W 617 - 4" - 10-shot cylinder and have had a blast with it.
I really like this gun and other than the HIGH CO$T, it meets all of my criteria for the "perfect plinker".
Nice trigger (SA and DA), very nice sights - I hope someone makes a speedloader for it someday.
As it turned out a Model 63 followed me home too, and that also meets the criteria but the 10-shot cylinder on the 617 brings a smile to the face of everyone who sees it...  ;D

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »
The gun should NEVER jam
Lots of luck on that one.
I have a Sig 226 that has NEVER jammed, but I don't delude myself that it can't. It's a piece of machinery.
Machines break or wear out just like tires can go flat.
The trigger pull should be between 2 - 3 pounds.
If you want a wheelgun and a light trigger you are flirting with failure to fire. You need to have enough force to squash that primer.

You say: "speed load is important".
No. It's not.
It may be desirable to you, but it's not "important" or you would already have an auto. 

You claim autos jam, but that isn't my experience unless you're talking about a P22. About the only time I clean my Mark II is when it has digested so many rounds I feel guilty about shooting it more...or once a year. Whichever comes first. Always the former.
You are shorting yourself by automatically excluding the Ruger.

So far you have talked to dolts that don't understand the Ruger mechanism. Guys at a gun show and some guy at the range are not the same as talking to
"The Burning Bush" or chatting with JMB hisself. (Same thing??)  Employee of the range or not.

To put the Ruger .22 back together:
Put the top end back on the frame.
Push the bolt stop pin through the frame and through the barrel/bolt assembly.
Place the top of mainspring/latch assembly back where you pulled it out of.
This is the important stuff---**The hammer strut swings freely. Swing it to the rear by pointing the muzzle up. That way it can be aligned to the recess in the mainspring housing where the spring and it's plunger are.**
Push the latch back into place and load 'er up!
It ain't rocket science and it takes longer to read than to do it.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »
My Tac-Sol Ruger 22/45 semiauto will feed dirtclods, not to mention Remington green box. It'll also shoot right alongside my S&W M-41, which is a racehorse (it was featured in HANDGUNS a few years ago as a real tackdriver).

I also like my S&W 617, too, but deep in my heart I long for an ancient blue K-22 Masterpiece with one of those amazing S&W DA actions from the Old Days. I've always found the J-Frame .22s and Kit Guns to be too light and whippy to really shoot well. One of my first guns was a Colt Woodsman I got for my birthday when I was in high school...it accounted for a lot of snapping turtles and assorted small varmints. I shoot it occasionally,but I think of it as being in genteel retirement.

I'm going to try to shoot 2 classes at the Ruger Rimfire Championships in May at the Hogue Range in Morro Bay, CA — unlimited, with Tac-Sol Rugers, and the "mechanically operated" class with a pump Taurus 62 rifle and the S&W 617 (unless that Masterpiece falls out of the sky!).

Hi Snake! Hi kmitch!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

wheels

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 05:01:14 AM »
I just read the ruger manual about how to put the gun together. Nice simple 10 step process. Apparently this gets easy after practice. The price on the ruger seems to be pretty good and that gun has been out for a long while. For those of you that own the 617 .22 S&W - what do you think about the trigger pull on that gun? I did not realize the wheel gun's needed such a stiff trigger just to shoot the gun.

Michael - I am looking forward to the results of the .22 competition in May. While your making the show please highlight the guns that are used as much as you can.

It kinda looks like if you want a plinker to compete or have an easy trigger then you have to be willing to spend more than 700.00. Is that correct? I just noticed a Benelli .22 cal semi auto but that is for about $800.00 plus. The S&W model 41 is about $1k. I wonder what it's like to shoot those type of guns.

Thanks to everyone for posting to this topic. I am learning a lot!

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 12:40:47 PM »
You know, Wheels, you've actually identified a problem that I'm not sure how to solve. On the micro scale, DA trigger pulls on .22s tend to be heavy because .22 ammunition is so wildly inconsistent...some of them take a concrete block to set 'em off, and most of them are dirty dirty dirty. Typically, people buy .22 ammo the same way I do...what's on sale at the Big Box Outdoor Store. I keep premium .22s around, but mostly I want cheap! People also want their plinkers to go bang, no matter what.

On the macro side of things, .22 manufacturers are in a tough place. Used to be we went through a common ramp-up learning to shoot as kids. We started with .22s and moved to centerfires. Yeah, just lile a lot of other people on this forum, I used to ride my bicycle down to the hardware store and buy .22 Green Box ammo; more than once, I carried a Winchester 62 in the bike's basket for plinking. Those days are dead, gone and buried. The hysteria around "kids and guns," the loss of plinking areas, and a flood of gun laws has pretty much broken the old paradigm. Since kids are no longer the primary market — where price is a huge consideration — .22 manufacturers make guns for adults, with similar pricing structures.

When you move to high end .22s like the S&W M-41, they are finicky beasts, designed as target pistols. My M-41, which dates back to the 1960s, likes premium ammo, PERIOD. It's not much of a plinker. It'll run with cheapy ammo, but not for long.

You mght look at the browning Buckmark. The Lovely and Ascerbic Lisa Farrell shoots a Tac-Sol barreled one in competition, and a standard one is $362 MSRP (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=407). If you love it to death, you can step up to a Tac-Sol premium barrel later.

Yeah, the Rugers are a pain in the butt to disassemble...they're still the best value out there. A 22/45 5 1/2 inch bull barrel is $307 (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdSpecsView?model=10107), and you can usually find one for less than that. Hard to argue with.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk