Author Topic: Finally fired my Mossberg 464!  (Read 14570 times)

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finally fired my Mossberg 464!
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
Well I finally did it!  I was able to get to the range and try out the Mossberg 464 Lever Action that I won in the Winter Giveaway sweepstakes!

Now, so you know, this is the first 30-30 lever action I have ever shot.  In fact, It is only the third "high powered rifle" I have fired in my life!  :o  Being so new at this, I cheated and went to the 50 yard range. 

Doing excatly what it said in the book, I started to load the rifle.  Pushing the first round in to the point where it held the loading gate open, but not all the way in,, I watched in amazement as i poped back out half way.  "Is it supposed to do that?"  I though.  Pushing back caused to do the same thing again.  So I shrugged my shoulders and grabbed another round.  When I put that one against the back of the first, I was alarmed at how it hit the primer.  (I can see why Hornady rounds are so popular.)  Since this was my first shot, I decided to just pust the first shot in all the way ad see what happens.

Putting the second round back, I completely load up the single shot, rack the action, take aim, and BANG!

Now that's a much larger push to it than my .22 that I was shooting minutes before.   ;D
I loaded up another round.

BANG!

Oh yea!  This is fun!  I gotta say here that the recoil pad on the butt of this rifle is fantastic!  It turns whatever kick this gun has into a push or shove instead.  You feel it, but its not uncomfortable or scary.  Very good for a first timer like me or for someone with pains or deminished bone density.  I also noticed that the rifle was jumping up more than expected.  That had to be a wrong shooting stance on my part.

The next time, I loaded up three rounds together.  I had to see how the loading went.  I am amazed at how much pressure is put on the backs of these rounds when loading!  I swear I was half expecting a primer to crumple under the pressure.  It makes me wonder how much pressure a firing pin has as it goes through its arc.  I was also so comfotable with the Mossberg that I forgot to set the safety this time when loading.  (oops.)  I know a lot of people out there don't like safeties on guns, but I have to say that Mossberg did a great job with this one.  It works well and isn't intrusive.  Using it is your choice, but it doesn't scream out, "I'm here!  Use me"!  You can totally concentrate on your shooting.

I like the Leopold scope was well.  This is my also first scope so it broke a few misconceptions for me.  The biggest is the magnafication.  I was expecting a huge increase in the view, like the zoom of a camera lense but more so.  Instead I got a clear veiw of the target with a nice, crisp "X" on it.  That scope is as clear as a sunny day!  I did get a magnification, just not as dramatic as I expected.  (A learning point for me.  ;) )  I'd like to say the scope was spot on, but in reality, I was so excited with my first shooting of the 464 that I was all over the place.  Next time, I'll bring a rest and set up the sighting correctly.  (That will also be a first for me since I've never shot at a target 100 yards away before. :) )

I emptied the box of ammo and left with a huge smile on my face.  I really like this rifle.

Thank you.  Thank you!  Thank You! Michael, Marshal'ette, and Marshal for this wonderful gift.  It's already a classic in my eyes!  And to everyone out there, keep entering those contests!  If I can win, anyone can!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Finally fired my Mossberg 464!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »
'bout time for a range report!

Big bangs are fun!  Congrats and I look forward to your next 'sighting in' report.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »
  If I can win, anyone can!

What I dont understand is how Haz has not won anything yet?

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »
AHHHHH, but I have!

LOTS of friends!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 11:18:57 PM »
Tigre Hazmaticus, your moment will come, Ulmus congrats and keep going, learn your rifle well. ;D ;D ;D
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:42:32 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:08:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing your first shooting impression Ulmus. And congratulations on winning.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:30:08 AM »
Congrats on a really great prize! It had to be killing you to sit and just look at it for so long!
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »
Hazcat has friends?  Oh, what is this world coming to..  ;D

My dad was just talking the other day about wanting one of these rifles.  Thanks for the report.  I may have to take him up on the offer..

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk