Author Topic: Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas  (Read 10556 times)

1776 Rebel

Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »
The Jean Shepard story of his childhood Christmas has probably been heard, read and seen by more folks than all the gun blogs, advertising and TV shows by ten. I thought the ending was a positive statement and sentiment towards guns in a very gentle way. This Christmas marks its silver anniversary.

Nov 30, 7:33 AM (ET)

(AP) In this Nov. 13, 2006 file photo, a pedestrian passes by the home used in the classic film 'A...
Full Image

CLEVELAND (AP) - Fans of the holiday classic "A Christmas Story" are celebrating the film's 25th anniversary with a convention and trips to the house where the movie was made.

The 1983 film, an adaptation of Jean Shepard's memoir of a boy in the 1940s, was set in Indiana but largely filmed in Ohio. The movie starred Peter Billingsley as Ralphie Parker, a young boy determined to get a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas.

The film was a modest theatrical success, but critics loved it. It eventually joined "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street" as a Christmas cult classic.

"It's a film about being a kid and looking back," said Brian Jones, who owns the house where the movie was shot and the neighboring museum dedicated to the film.

About 4,000 fans are attending the convention at Cleveland's Renaissance Hotel, where they'll meet some of the film's actors, watch three documentaries made about the film and see the original 1938 fire truck from a famous scene in the movie involving a child's tongue stuck to a frozen pole.

"It is unbelievable that a movie has touched the lives of millions of families," said Phil Gillen, son of the late actor Jeff Gillen who played the movie's worn-out Santa Claus. He traveled from Miami with his family to attend the convention.

Avid fans Mark and Becky Tompkins also traveled to the meetup with their children, Madison, 9, and Brandon, 5.

"It's a Christmas movie that you can watch and relate to," Mark Tompkins said. "Everyone, whether they want to admit it or not, really wanted a special gift one holiday."

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »
You'll shoot your eye out.......

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
I was a manager at a movie theater this played film played in back in the day. This movie was a 'perfect storm'. I don't recall a film since that has such a great combination of perfect pace, characterization and interaction with a story line everyone can relate to.  It's a  feel good movie that brings you back to a simpiler time, both in history and your own personal life. Who doesn't remember when school was something you did before getting to the important stuff, or when Christmas was a magical season where the excitement was almost electric?

It ultimately didn't do well because of one thing - poor advertising.

There is a sequel to A Christmas Story, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Different cast, decent but compared to ACS, it is found wanting.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
I still have mine that my Grandfather used to teach me how to shoot with when I was a little kid.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 06:24:58 PM »
Never got a "Red Rider" rifle but I did get (and still have-I'm 62) a neat SA Army type BB gun.  Have to dig it out and fire it up!  Been a long time.

Richard

PS:  Went to the "Christmas Story" house last year.  Not much there but a lot of memories.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:12:27 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:56:28 PM »
I was in the army when the movie came out but don't remember it EVER being on at the theater. Then when they showed it on TV I was always waatching something else, if I was even home, but I finally saw it last year and I liked it. I never had a Red Ryder but I had a Daisy BB gun 40 years ago that I shot until the mainspring was worn out. The BBs almost fell out of the barrel instead of shooting out. I had fun with my first "gun".
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:25:40 PM »
I was in the army when the movie came out but don't remember it EVER being on at the theater. Then when they showed it on TV I was always waatching something else, if I was even home, but I finally saw it last year and I liked it. I never had a Red Ryder but I had a Daisy BB gun 40 years ago that I shot until the mainspring was worn out. The BBs almost fell out of the barrel instead of shooting out. I had fun with my first "gun".

It was in my theater one week before Christmas, gone soon after for ummm... Terms of Endearment, I think. THAT stayed for 2 months.  Anyway, Christmas Story is our Christmas Eve family tradition now.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »
It is always on our TV on Christmas Day.......and we always stop wheat we are doing to watch the parts that make us howl..

(Like ... 3/4 of the movie.. )  :D ;D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »
I'm thinking duck for dinner  ;D ;D ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:55:38 PM »
with flied lice?  ;D ;D