Author Topic: Show #88: Plaxico Burress deserves jail time  (Read 11793 times)

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Show #88: Plaxico Burress deserves jail time
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 11:16:08 PM »
It is much easier to ask forgiveness than to beg permission.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:57:51 PM »
Are you trying to suggest that laws requiring a permit for concealed carry are unjustified and should be ignored? Or are you simply using a large font and something that sounds like a zen koan to give the illusion of meaning?

Yes, and if I served on a jury where an otherwise law abiding citizen was charged with carrying without a license I would vote Not Guilty.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Are you trying to suggest that laws requiring a permit for concealed carry are unjustified and should be ignored? Or are you simply using a large font and something that sounds like a zen koan to give the illusion of meaning?

I am suggesting nothing.  I am saying that illegal laws can can only be used to bully the sheep if the sheep allow it.  Choosing to follow an illegal statute or not is a matter of personal choice.  One can choose to ignore the law but bullies, being what they are, will take you to task for it.  A system is only fair if the people who are running the system see to it that the system is fair.

Fairness, an idea whose time has apparently come and gone.  We have ridiculous laws on top of laws now...whenever there is outrage politicians pontificate and pass another law to cover the other law(s) that were not enforced in the first place.  The only laws consistently enforced...those that collect revenue from the little guy who has something to lose.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »

I am suggesting nothing.  I am saying that illegal laws can can only be used to bully the sheep if the sheep allow it. 

As anyone who has worked with livestock knows.....a fence only works until the stock figure out that it can be pushed over....
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

PoorSoulInJersey

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »
I don't think he deserves jail time for carrying the gun without a permit (though he did commit a felony in the PRNJ).

I think he deserves some penalty (maybe a fine enough that actually HURTS someone that rich) for discharging a firearm in a crowded public place when there was no threat against him. THAT is the kind of irresponsible thing that I think every gun owner tries to prevent him/herself from doing.
-Tom

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:59:18 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:47 AM »
Let me again remind folks of Jury Nullification and give a couple of link that might be of interest.

Early in our history, judges often informed jurors of their nullification right.  For example, our first Chief Justice, John Jay, told jurors: "You have a right to take upon yourselves to judge [both the facts and law]."  In 1805, one of the charges against Justice Samuel Chase in his impeachment trial was that he wrongly prevented an attorney from arguing to a jury that the law should not be followed.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/zenger/nullification.html

http://www.fija.org/
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 10:57:57 AM »
He reached down to grab his Glock as it was slipping down into his sweatpants and while trying to catch the gun from going down further into his pants, set off the trigger..... ::)    The risk he exposed himself to and others in the vicinity cannot be ignored or dismissed.  Further, he could be prosecuted by the State of New Jersey as he only possessed a Florida carry permit.  As there is no reciprocity with Florida or non-resident permits allowed in either New York or New Jersey, he should consider himself lucky that New Jersey has left him alone so far.

Personally, I think a VERY heavy monetary fine, commensurate with his income, and 1,000 hours or so of Community Service would be a fair trade off for jail time, especially since NYC carries a 3 1/2 year mandatory jail sentence for possession of a handgun without a carry license.  He would do more good to the community in that regard then just sitting in a cell IMHO.  In reality this "mandatory" NYC sentence is often times not applied and deals are struck between legal parties.  Mandatory is negotiable these days, however, given the high profile of this case and Bloomberg's previous comments, hypocritical as they may be, to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, the fine and community service could work and is more than fair IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I abhor the ridiculous gun laws we have in place in New York and New Jersey and agree they are unconstitutional. However, I believe we have to abide by the laws established and feel equally strongly that a society without laws cannot exist.  So we do our best to fight as best we can, but people like Plaxico Burress have to learn that they are not above the laws established within the United States, irrespective of who they are, how much they earn and how well they can run a slant pattern..
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Trevor

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
The news is Plaxico Burress has entered a guilty plea and agreed to a two-year prison term for the incident with the Glock and the sweat pants.  Mr. Burress is now a political prisoner of the State of New York.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk