Author Topic: It Finally Arrived! AR Varmint Upper  (Read 7776 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
It Finally Arrived! AR Varmint Upper
« on: December 20, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »
After 5 weeks, my new AR upper w/ 20" Shaw barrel finally arrived.  It shipped Tuesday, got hung up at FedEx in Kansas City for 24 hours, then I had to wait till today to sign for it.  Can't wait to go to the range and give it a try.

Now all I need is a new lower so I can have both a "stock" A2 and a varmint A4.   When prices settle down, I'll find a suitable lower, but for now here's my new PIF.   Even they wife says it looks more sinister in with the new upper than the old A2.

And shown with original upper.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: It Finally Arrived! AR Varmint Upper
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »
Sweet Alf.  Pop a bulls for me and enjoy.  :)
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:09:38 PM »
Nice!!!

Now we want range reports.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »
What are you planning on for a scope ?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:18 PM »
Very nice Alf. That looks like the same free-float tube I put on mine. I plan on geting a Harris ultralight bipod for it. I have a standard barrel so the tube seems even more important.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:48:20 PM »

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »
What are you planning on for a scope ?

He wants this:

Gosh Fatman, I was hoping you'd buy us all one of these.  Only $11K without PIF.

http://www.botachtactical.com/elspspthwesi.html

But I haven't hit the lottery yet.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 01:35:00 AM »
Sweet upper!  Looks great and have fun
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 11:27:27 AM »
Sweet set-up, Alf. Please let us know how it shoots.

***Side Note: If you need a baby sitter for it, I'm only a couple of hours away.    ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 12:56:53 PM »
Here's the plans.   First I need a set of rings.  (Two actually cause I don't like the set on the Savage 25.)   Under the tree is a Bushnell Legend 5-15x.  So Thursday afternoon, that goes on the Savage as the permanent scope and the Simmons Pro-Air 4-12x will go on the AR temporarily!   Then maybe Friday or Saturday to the range.  (Long term the Simmons Pro-Air goes back on the Beeman R-7 where it belongs.)

So, besides the $11k Elcan, I'm not sure what to put on this.   I was thinking something in the 4-12x range to take advantage of long ranges.  But 3-9x would work.   This isn't a close in tactical configuration.  I was disappointed in my Leupold VX-I.   I can't seem to get it to focus for me.   I'm thinking smallish (under 40mm), black and evil looking.   Also, to make things more difficult, I prefer a scope not made China.   (I don't hate the Chinese, just don't want to reward them with this next purchase.)
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Jim Urban

• Top Forum Member
  • Stay Frosty-Stay Safe
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 05:48:46 PM »
alf

Premier makes a damn fine Made in U.S.A. scope. http://www.premierreticles.com/Products.html

Not too evil looking, except to the woodchuck or taliban in the crosshairs, to them it looks like Armageddon.

S&W 340PD....I Won't Leave Home Without It.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk