Author Topic: AR-15 bolt carrier key  (Read 13381 times)

tombogan03884

Re: AR-15 bolt carrier key
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 01:17:40 AM »
Read an article recently that said the majority of Scope problems resulted from over tightening.
I agree with Frank, go by (or buy  ;D  ) the book .

JohnZ

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 04:31:02 AM »
I got my information out of ARMY TM 9-1005-319-23&P and AIR FORCE TO 11 W3-5-5-42, which is all one manual and was up to date as of 1997. I haven't seen a newer version of this manual but it could possibly be out-dated. MARINE CORPS TM 05538C-23&P2 from 1984 says the same exact thing, 35-40 inch pounds, and the 1991 Army and Air Force manual, updated in 1997, is supposedly based on it. As I used to say when I was in the army... hey, it's good enough for government work.  ;D  I wouldn't torque it any tighter and risk stripping the threads unless I see a manual that reccomends higher torque.

Cool. I shoot my N4 as is. Hasn't failed me yet.

JohnZ

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »
Read an article recently that said the majority of Scope problems resulted from over tightening.
I agree with Frank, go by (or buy  ;D  ) the book .

Tom, about 24 hours ago you had no idea what we were talking about here....  :o

Kilroy

• Active Forum Member
  • JAFMP
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »
That's true. But I expect gun magazines and their writers to know more about a 50 year old design that they've reviewed over and over again. I almost said respected gun magazines.  ;)  Next they'll be telling us about a new M1911A1 that has some kind of new-fangled feature like a grip safety.  ::)

Once upon a time, I'd have agreed with you...

Having worked in the gun industry, government and private training sectors, I've had ample opportunity to examine what is written and how accurate it is.  I've had the fortune to be on the same range, and survive unscathed, with some of these gun writers.

It is stunning the amount of technical errors seen in gun magazines.  Even such as the American Rifleman can be prone to technical mis-cues.

Take a gun magazine with a grain of salt.  If they don't have advertising so as to appear impartial, it won't mean they don't make mistakes either.  Due diligence is required to make an informed purchase.  Forums like this can help toward that effort.

Proper staking of the the bolt carrier gas key to the bolt carrier goes a long way to insure reliability.  Poor or scant staking can result in problems.  Many manufacturers realize that most owners won't shoot their rifles enough to really detect a difference, until the key is loose enough to allow gas to leak.

Kilroy...

...was here.

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
Tom, about 24 hours ago you had no idea what we were talking about here....  :o

I knew what you were talking about, I was just applying it to the wrong part. Nomenclature fart  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:13:38 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk