Author Topic: Glock 22C Accuracy  (Read 6186 times)

Rebog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Glock 22C Accuracy
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »
I've had a Glock 22 since 1991.  I "upgraded" to a 22c about 8 years ago.  I've shot since I was 5 years old but mostly just played and shot trash etc.  I am currently shooting an unmodified Glock 22c. 

In the recent year I've started trying to make good groups with my pistol and have had inconsistent results.  I seem to have good days and bad but at best I am making ping pong sized groups at 21 feet, but not doing this consistently.  I shoot Winchester USA brand ammo with little attention to the grain I'm firing.  I'm looking to make better groups and I am asking this forum for suggestions to this end.  I've done some research that resulted in changing my grip and stance some and feel better about this.

My main questions are:

How good of a group should I expect standing my a Glock 22c at 21 feet?

Does the brand of ammunition play that much of a role at that range?

What are some things I can do to try and meet the accuracy potential of the pistol?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Glock 22C Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:24:15 PM »
You get what you pay for.  And yes different makes and styles of ammo will vary in accuracy.   Cheap ammo will not be as consistent as that which is more carefully (and expensively) made.  (Rule of Thumb, there are exceptions.)   You're going to have to experiment with different ammo to find the one that shoots best in your gun. 

If accuracy is your ONLY concern, gather as many different makes of ammo as you can afford and shoot them for the sturdiest rest you can find.    Then you will know which shoots most accurately and potentially the smallest sized group you could possibly shoot with that gun.   

If you want particular terminal characteristics, then it will limit your ammo selection.    This is one reason some people reload.  They can select the particular type of projectile they want and then vary the velocity (within reason) to get the optimum accuracy from that bullet/gun combination.

Having said all that, don't over-stress on accuracy.   Shooting man sized targets at 21' doesn't require Minute of Angle precision.

Now personally, and I wish I had done this years ago, I suggest a new shooter start with a true target pistol.  Could be a long barreled, .357/.38, like a SW 686, or it could be a rim fire, like a SW41 or a Buckmark.   This takes the gun pretty much out of the equation and allows you to practice the fundamentals knowing that anything outside the X ring isn't the gun's fault.  Yes there will be some differences going to a different gun, but the basics are still the basics.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rebog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »
You get what you pay for.  And yes different makes and styles of ammo will vary in accuracy.   Cheap ammo will not be as consistent as that which is more carefully (and expensively) made.  (Rule of Thumb, there are exceptions.)   You're going to have to experiment with different ammo to find the one that shoots best in your gun. 

If accuracy is your ONLY concern, gather as many different makes of ammo as you can afford and shoot them for the sturdiest rest you can find.    Then you will know which shoots most accurately and potentially the smallest sized group you could possibly shoot with that gun.   

If you want particular terminal characteristics, then it will limit your ammo selection.    This is one reason some people reload.  They can select the particular type of projectile they want and then vary the velocity (within reason) to get the optimum accuracy from that bullet/gun combination.

Having said all that, don't over-stress on accuracy.   Shooting man sized targets at 21' doesn't require Minute of Angle precision.

Now personally, and I wish I had done this years ago, I suggest a new shooter start with a true target pistol.  Could be a long barreled, .357/.38, like a SW 686, or it could be a rim fire, like a SW41 or a Buckmark.   This takes the gun pretty much out of the equation and allows you to practice the fundamentals knowing that anything outside the X ring isn't the gun's fault.  Yes there will be some differences going to a different gun, but the basics are still the basics.

I probably should have mentioned this but I carry a Ruger MKIII with me to the range and go between the two pistols generally.  I shoot consistent small groups with the Ruger but cannot seem to be consistent with the Glock.  Thats one reason its such a mystery to me.  It's not that I am stressed about the accuracy it is just that like most things I do I want to improve at it.  At this point I don't understand why I cannot shoot consistently.  I would think that if the gun with the ammo I have is only going to produce say 4 inch groups at X distance then I should at a minimum be consistent with that grouping.  I go from 2inch groups to 4 inch groups. 

TSB

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
Are your groups consistant but off target or are they helter skelter all over the place?

Rebog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »
Are your groups consistant but off target or are they helter skelter all over the place?

They are consistent but off target.  I find myself shooting a bit low most of the time.  I place my front post over the target whereas with my Ruger its just under.  They are usually in the 4 to 5 inch range and usually low.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:08:27 AM »

TSB

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
Buy some snap caps and practice some dry fire drills.  Get a good grip with firm, equal pressure from both hands and make sure that when you squeeze the trigger, the sights don't move at all from your original sight picture.  Focus hard on the front sight until the rear sight is just a blur and the target is fuzzy.  Use the pad of the finger and squeeze straight back, keeping focus on the front sight and you will be able to detect if your pulling the muzzle down and left. 

That is generally the direction of my misses after some time without practice.  I'll get a good group, just down and left of center.  When I'm shooting regularly, I'm pretty consistant but when I take a couple of weeks off, I sit and snap off about 300-500 dry fires to get the feeling back and practice the fundamentals.

Your front sight is your friend....

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »
I probably should have mentioned this but I carry a Ruger MKIII with me to the range and go between the two pistols generally.  I shoot consistent small groups with the Ruger. 

COOL Rebog.   I wish I had bought a quality pistol first.   I would have learned much quicker.

The only way to tell if it's the gun is to shoot it very carefully from a rest with the various ammo you're using.  Also keep a log each time you go to the range, with ammo type and results.  (Sadly, I don't do it every time, but I do keep a log when testing new guns and re-loads.)
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »
What these guys have already said is is top notch info. The only realistic way to know the potential of the gun is a very sturdy rest and lots of test ammo, as already stated.

Another alternative would be to order an aftermarket barrel to see what it will do, there are several companies out there making aftermarket Glock barrels. But, you will still need the above mentioned rest and ammo quantities to test it also.

That being said, 2" to 4" groups standing with a Glock ain't that bad.  ;)
 8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

sig232

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:38:50 PM »
I like my Glocks at lot, they are very reliable and a joy to clean, but.....................I will have to admit I have never been able to shoot them well.

Compared to my Kimber 1911's and my Ruger 22 autos my Glock target groups are not real impressive. That said, my Glock groups are all in the kill zone but they are not going to win me any medals.

Put in a Lone Wolf match barrel and a new 3.5 trigger connector and the group sizes will shrink somewhat.
NRA - Patron Member
Patriot Guard Member
Harley Softail Owner

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 05:01:51 PM »
At 21 feet you should have tight groups out of a G22. Granted the G22 for me seems to not be as accurate as some of the other calibers. However, it should still be better than most other .40's out there. I own a few Glocks and there are a few things that can and will effect group size. 1)Ammo selection. Some guns I got one Glock that shoots winchester better and one that shooting remington better, for example. If you can tinker with different types, you might find one that will cut group size in half. 2) Cleanliness of your barrel. Glocks are accurate..compared to most b/c of their polygonal rifled barrels. They must be kept nice and clean... that will help accuracy too. 3) Practice. I have found that if I got for long or longer periods of time without shooting my Glocks .. that I'm not as accurate when I go back to the range. But, the more often I go to the range.. my average group ..on an average day is better. The more practice you can get in..the more accurate your groups will be.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk