Author Topic: Mountain Men on History International channel tonite  (Read 11725 times)

TSB

Re: Mountain Men on History International channel tonite
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
Here is another question...I remember one story of a mountain man who was I think attacked by Indians, stabbed, stripped and left for dead. His party deserted him (I think Kit Carson was one of them) and he walked like 200 miles naked with no supplies to the nearest fort and survived. Was it Bridger? Somehow I remember it was Bridger?

Hugh Glass

The expedition was to travel the 1800 miles by keel boat. They met with many obstacles, among them the mauling of Hugh Glass by a she-grizzly with cubs. Glass, with the aid of Bridger and Fitzpatrick, killed the bear. In the fight, Glass was horribly wounded, and expedition leader Henry became convinced that Glass couldn't survive the wounds when he lost consciousness. Henry asked for volunteers to stay with Glass until he died, and who were then to bury him. Bridger and Fitzpatrick agreed and the expedition continued. The pair started to dig the grave then took Glass' gun, knife and provisions and left him. They overtook the expedition and claimed to have been assailed by a band of Arikaree Indians and reported that Glass had died. The trek of Glass, who was far from dead, back to civilization through 200 miles of wilderness became one of the most enduring legends of the American West. Hugh Glass forswore vengence upon Bridger, attributing the desertion to Bridger's youth.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 12:58:41 PM »
Thanks Tim!!
I thought it was Bridger also. Mountain Men were a different kind of wild bunch. Crazy sob's ;D
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

1776 Rebel

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
Timothy, god bless ya ! Much thanks for that one. I can not believe the pure grit these mountain men showed. Their exploits traveling alone or in small groups thru uncharted and unsecured lands makes me marvel. I guess for sure there are guys up to the same today (I am thinking of Chris Ryan British SAS who walked 200 miles to escape from Iraq in 91). But in todays world where folks start to panic if they can't remember where they parked the car, these guys just stand out as giants. Sadly I don't think todays kids get taught the history of this country as it should be taught.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
+100

Growing up trapping with my dad, I can remember how cold you can get. Your hands and feet and thats with rubber gloves and waders. Since fur pelts are at top dollar during the winter months these men were a different breed.

Can't get enough of these guys.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 869
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 04:13:47 PM »
I believe it was John Colter.  He was with Lewis and Clark first, but he did not return east at the end of the expedition.  Instead he returned to the mountains.  When he was captured the indians gave him a head start and and he was able to escape and make it to a fort or trading post.  I think he was killed by another tribe at another time.  However, he wasn't abandoned - just on his own by choice.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:42:37 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 01:49:35 AM »
Hugh Glass

The expedition was to travel the 1800 miles by keel boat. They met with many obstacles, among them the mauling of Hugh Glass by a she-grizzly with cubs. Glass, with the aid of Bridger and Fitzpatrick, killed the bear. In the fight, Glass was horribly wounded, and expedition leader Henry became convinced that Glass couldn't survive the wounds when he lost consciousness. Henry asked for volunteers to stay with Glass until he died, and who were then to bury him. Bridger and Fitzpatrick agreed and the expedition continued. The pair started to dig the grave then took Glass' gun, knife and provisions and left him. They overtook the expedition and claimed to have been assailed by a band of Arikaree Indians and reported that Glass had died. The trek of Glass, who was far from dead, back to civilization through 200 miles of wilderness became one of the most enduring legends of the American West. Hugh Glass forswore vengence upon Bridger, attributing the desertion to Bridger's youth.

My earlier post was wrong (heaven forbid  :o  ) This was the incident I was thinking of.

I was going to ask about Coulter, I remembered a story about a mountain man who out ran the indians, if I remember right he had to cover something like 80 miles naked and bare foot, running and trying to stay out of sight the whole way because the indians were tuogh men too and they REALLY wanted to catch him.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 02:05:28 PM »
Hugh Glass

Wasn't the movie "Man in the Wilderness" starring Richard Harris based, loosely in part, on this incident?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067388/

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 869
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »
Wasn't the movie "Man in the Wilderness" starring Richard Harris based, loosely in part, on this incident?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067388/

You are correct.  I had watched "Jeremiah Johnson" the night before and got my movies mixed up when I asked the question earlier.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 02:08:59 AM »
You are correct.  I had watched "Jeremiah Johnson" the night before and got my movies mixed up when I asked the question earlier.

That was a pretty good movie, "You skin grizz Boy"   ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »

Never been a big Redford fan...but I liked that movie....Butch Cassidy &the Sundance Kid was OK too.   
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk