Author Topic: DIY guns  (Read 8451 times)

tombogan03884

DIY guns
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »
As I posted in another thread according to what I have seen , it's legal to build your own guns from scratch if they are not otherwise restricted, and are not for sale. The other post simply dealt with machining parts. This link involves a gentleman in England. BE SURE to read the section about his parole hearing, this type of "Law" must NEVER be allowed in America.

www.thehomegunsmith.com

Note, I got busy reading about Mr. Lundy's legal experience and never got around to checking out his firearms, as stated above manufacture of fully automatic, short barreled or other NFA weapons IS NOT legal.

1776 Rebel

Re: DIY guns
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »
Note, I got busy reading about Mr. Lundy's legal experience and never got around to checking out his firearms, as stated above manufacture of fully automatic, short barreled or other NFA weapons IS NOT legal.

You sure about that? I thought there was a court case that went pretty high up (SCOTUS maybe?) that said NFA only applied to weapons moved across state line in commerce. I remember it was exactly this kind of situation. Guy who was a machinist built a machine gun. So he won.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »
You sure about that? I thought there was a court case that went pretty high up (SCOTUS maybe?) that said NFA only applied to weapons moved across state line in commerce. I remember it was exactly this kind of situation. Guy who was a machinist built a machine gun. So he won.

No, I'm not sure. Any one planning to do this would be wise to check with a lawyer or the ATF.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »

No, I'm not sure. Any one planning to do this would be wise to check with a lawyer or the ATF.

To be sure consult a lawyer specializing in the Class 3 world before making a machine gun for yourself. My understanding is that one has to be a Class 2 manufacturer in order to make one. Also, one can call or write the BATF for an answer, but I would definitely dot my i's and cross my t's before going ahead with that project.....

1776 Rebel

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:00:02 AM »
I absolutely agree that if the fun of building a machine gun at home comes with being the roomie of a large man with tattoos I would just go back to watching the NY Giants football. :) Consult "a" lawyer should be consult a couple of lawyers! But that being said I found the case I referenced on another forum. This is the one from just a couple of years ago that I was thinking about...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102402&highlight=circuit+and+machine

You can see from the thread that this discussion was all pre-Heller. Only a lawyer could figure out what the final call was...

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:35:36 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »
I absolutely agree that if the fun of building a machine gun at home comes with being the roomie of a large man with tattoos I would just go back to watching the NY Giants football. :) Consult "a" lawyer should be consult a couple of lawyers! But that being said I found the case I referenced on another forum. This is the one from just a couple of years ago that I was thinking about...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102402&highlight=circuit+and+machine

You can see from the thread that this discussion was all pre-Heller. Only a lawyer could figure out what the final call was...

This and the other thread I posted were NOT specifically directed toward building "machine guns". As I said, I got side tracked reading about Mr. Lundy's parole problems and neglected to check WHAT he was building. The other thread has instructions on MACHINING from scratch, your own receivers for 1911, AR's 15 and 10, and other perfectly legal firearms.
Personally I've always thought it would be cool to have a series of firearms that I could point to and say  "Yes , I built those".
Then your venison stew really IS from scratch !  ;D  (except for breeding the deer )
While others DEFINITELY disagree with with me, I've long felt that full auto ownership was too expensive in ammo, and aggravation for something that in civilian hands is really no more than a toy. I'm not talking about throwing them under the "gun control" bus here, most of you are aware of my no compromise attitude toward the 2nd A, but really, from a working man's perspective what are you going to do with it ? 650 rounds per minute equals 32 1/2 boxes of ammo, There goes the mortgage payment ;D Home defense ? Any anti gun Prosecutor that got his hands on that would have a.. let's just say he would be VERY VERY happy  ;D Hunting ? with a SMG, BAR, or belt fed ? Hope you like hamburg.  ;D As for the last 2 weight is also a factor. No, My OPINION is that I would prefer to spend my limited funds and energies on something I can use for multiple purposes, and actually AFFORD to shoot, not something that will sit in the safe until TEOTWAWKI.
I know some of you are in a financial position that allows other opinions. Congrats to you and if we meet at the range I will probably ask to take some pictures. 

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:04:18 PM »
Personally I've always thought it would be cool to have a series of firearms that I could point to and say  "Yes , I built those".
Then your venison stew really IS from scratch !  ;D

Comment of the day award!

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 12:10:15 PM »
That was fast Eric, I was barely done typing and you had 2 comments up. WOW !  ;D

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
... but really, from a working man's perspective what are you going to do with it ?

Zombie control!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk