Author Topic: The Jim Zumbo "Defection"  (Read 69214 times)

fatdog

• advanced hobbyist
  • Forum Member
  • well rounded dilletente
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Jim Zumbo "Defection"
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 07:37:01 PM »
How lame this guy is.  I am so glad the NRA is no longer dominated by this Elmer Fudd wing of the shooting community.  I am not accepting this half ass apology.  I got this particular magazine sent to me on a 1 year subscription because I bought a bunch of ammo and the like from one of the online retailers.  They will get a call in the morning to let them know I don't want another issue darkening my mailbox.

BGregory

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 09:09:20 PM »
Mr. Zumbo's second post in response to the criticism he's been receiving has me wondering even more about what this guy actually believes.

I didn't see any retraction of his use of the word "terrorist".

An apology from Mr. Zumbo?  Nope, not by my book.

An attempt at damage control?  Bingo!

As has been said before, "you wrote it, you own it".

I believe that Mr. Zumbo was sincere in his first post and does not feel that the AR platform is appropriate for hunting.  If he had the huevos to stand by his first posting, I'd have less of a problem with him.  His second post is just more fodder, which already is being spun, to the advantage of the anti-firearms crowd.
Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?

scott220

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 09:11:10 PM »
I think the apology is probably more or less a CYA strategy.  That being said, I have to take exception with all who keep referring to hunters as "Fudds".  I am a hunter, as well as a black rifle owner.  I own many, many hi-cap magazines for all of my weapons.  I own expensive over and under shotguns, as well as some older collectible military rifles.  Am I a Fudd?  Am I a Fudd with superior firepower?  I only raise this issue to point out that all the childish name calling only makes us look more like fools and serves to further divide us as gun owners.  We either band together, or we will swing seperately at the end of our own rope.  I don't agree with what Jim Zumbo said, but I won't throw names and insults either.  A simple professional statement with out names or profanity is what is needed.  Take the high road always.

fatdog

• advanced hobbyist
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 09:25:48 PM »
The term Fudd in the current venacular refers to those gun owners who think that the only legitimate purpose for a firearm is hunting.  No offense is intended by those who use it, towards people who hunt, just those who think the only good purpose of a gun is to hunt.  The term as best I can tell was coined on ar15.com, and specifically directed toward people like Zumbo.

A group of Fudds in our area (mostly wing shooters) recently stacked the elections of the gun club (Little River Gun Club in West Georgia), took over, ran off the IDPA club, banned black rifles, etc.  Mr. Zumbo is not alone in this arrogant elitist attitude.  Most of the people in the gun owning community who think that way are hard core hunters and feel just like he does.  That is who a Fudd is...

There were way too many of them in positions of authority or on the board of the NRA back when the first AWB was passed. Not this time I think.

I guess I am just neither classy or professional like Scott 220, I have no problem letting my derision, resentment, opprobrium or scorn towards these hypocrites show..

Lawrence Keeney

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 09:28:40 PM »
He apologized like Kerry..not truly sorry about what he said, just that what he said got him in trouble.  Chances are he still believes exactly what he said, but is just doing it because he was blown away by 1200+ messages from people who used to admire him and his writings.

Also, from now on, he's owned by Sarah Brady. They will from this day forward use him in their propaganda as an outdoor writer who was cowed into a false apology by the evil gun lobby.

No one will look at him or his magazine articles or tv shows the same ever again. The Brady bunch has turned him into the fourth dixie chick.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:19:27 AM »

pdg45acp

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »
I'm more worried than mad..

Now that the Brady Bunch is running with it we can be sure that Zumbo's statements will be presented to Congress during the Assault Weapon Ban hearings as evidence that hunters do not like semi-automatic firearms and they would be glad to have them banned.

Before we know it.. an Assault Weapons bill that didn't have a chance of passing will turn into a "You don't need any semi-automatic firearms" bill that passes with a veto proof majority.
Retired, retired, retired

matthew26

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 09:21:34 AM »
Once my "evil" weapons are banned, the next weapons that will be considered "evil" will be those nasty deadly-accurate sniper rifles used to stalk their master's prey. I hope hunters realize that the slope is slippery.

I hope hunters don't enjoy their sport too much, because they are sure to lose it shortly after we lose ours. Go ask the Australians - owing a firearm is so difficult that even hunting is a chore.

This is what the framers must have thought: ::)
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the dinner table of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms for hunting, shall not be infringed."

Snake45

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 09:36:36 AM »
From Remington's website:

NOTICE: Remington is in the process of severing our sponsorships with Mr. Zumbo. Remington in no way shares or advocates any of the comments made by Mr. Zumbo on his blog site. A formal announcement will be released by noon today.

Source: http://www.remington.com/
And he's dreaming about an intruder or two
And the promise of burglar blood,
And he's yearning to chew on a gangster tattoo
And to hear the proverbial sickening thud...

--Warren Zevon, "Rottweiler Blues," Mutineer c1995

Middle Man

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »
Zumbo invoking Nugent in his pablum apology was rather absurd...
I don't want any part of your change.

McCarthy was right...

fatdog

• advanced hobbyist
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 03:13:12 PM »
Apparently at least Remington is getting some professional PR advice in the matter.   I think most of us in the hard core RKBA community understand that if we cannot make those who take our money tremble in fear of crossing this line, there is zero chance that any lame shiftless politician is going to take it seriously.   Our rights only survive on the back of their fear of our wrath through political activisim and fury at the ballot box.   Zumbo's downfall is necessary for that message to be clear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk