Author Topic: Setting boundaries ( shaggy dog story )  (Read 3589 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Setting boundaries ( shaggy dog story )
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »
Tonight's episodes Title, containing setting boundaries, brought up and old situation that happened to me and really hammered home the idea of having boundaries.

About 1987, I worked as a full time automotive technician, and worked from 10 am, to 10 pm, sometimes later, the office closed at 6pm, so I was by myself for 3-4 hours at the shop. This was summer here in Texas and hot, so I had one big roll up over head door open, not a high crime area, but industrial and off the beaten path, with a public park across the street. My work area was about 15 degrees to one side of the overhead door and about 20 yards from the door, and while working, I normally faced the door. One night at the 9-10 o'clock area, a young man strolls in, blue jeans, cut out sleeve tee shirt, biker wallet, longish blond hair and he just strolls right toward my area, probably 16-19 years of age, and he has his hands behind his back, he gets about 10 yards inside the building and another young man, same ageish, plants himself at the door to one side, and he is wearing a black suit and tie. He is facing the parking lot, not watching us. My spidey senses went off big time, a slugger and a lookout. I did not know how to handle this, and it is coming on fast. I kept a .357 mag in the top drawer of my tool box, which is 1 1/2 arms length away, I took a half step back, opened the drawer and gripped the revolver, but did not bring it out, I then said, " can I help you?" in a loud voice, and he smiled and just kept coming, at this point I'm leaning forward with some tension on my strong arm to pull that revolver quick, He broke through my personal comfort zone, like 10' away and finally started to bring this hands around, and I said to myself " I'm going to have to kill this person " his arms and hands come around and they are empty, and he says " hey, what do you guys do here? " I explained that we repair automobiles and he says " Wow, cool, ok, goodnight " I shift back to the guy at the door and he is still there. They both leave and I go out after a few moments armed, to check the parking lot, and they are indeed gone.

Lesson learned, I will never let someone come into my comfort zone, without a challenge, " Hold it, your not supposed to be here, stop!!"  2) Thinking I was going to kill this kid really got my attention, I would have done it, If he had anything but hands to show me, of course if he had anything it was a toss up as to who gets who. but that's when it struck home.

Comments and observations are welcome, I got one or two more, one involving a dog, that I would like to tell you all, a dog and a potential bad guy is not cool.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tombogan03884

Re: Setting boundaries ( shaggy dog story )
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
Always trust your instincts. There is a reason they go ping.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk