Author Topic: AR-10 update from Rawles  (Read 10933 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR-10 update from Rawles
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
Letter Re: Advice on AR-10 Rifles (Updated)

Mr. Rawles:
I'm thinking about buying a Bushmaster AR-10 type rifle that comes with with one clip. What features should I look for, especially these days? Are the magazines an issue? Thanks, - C. in Oregon

JWR Replies: Let me start with a pet peeve. The terms clip and magazine are not synonymous. A clip holds cartridges only at one end, whereas a magazine complete surrounds a cartridge. In the context of modern detachable magazine battle rifles, a clip is what is used to fill a magazine. Please do not call a magazine a clip, especially around children. They are impressionable, and I 'd hate to see another generation growing up to use faulty nomenclature.

In today's frantic market the over-riding concern for AR-10 buyers is interchangeability of magazines. Some brands of AR-10s will accept inexpensive metric FN-FAL magazines, while others will accept only purpose-built AR-10 magazines. Let me explain:

Only a few brands of AR-10s take the plentiful FN-FAL magazines. The brands that can accept FAL magazines are American Spirit, Bushmaster, and Rock River Arms (RRA) . (BTW the new RRA LAR-8 will take metric FAL mags and "inch pattern" L1A1 magazines, with the large forward locking lug.) FAL magazines are still fairly inexpensive--as little as $14 each. I recommend that you buy 25+ of them. Someday, you'll be glad that you did.

The Armalite, Knight Armament (KAC), and DPMS brand AR-10s take only purpose-made AR-10 magazines. As reader "Mr. Smith" pointed out, the KAC and DPMS can use magazines interchangeably but the Armalite lower uses a magazine that is not compatible with the other two. M14 magazines can be converted, but only to fit the Armalite AR-10.

Mr. Smith also mentioned that CMMG is about to produce AR-10 lowers that will take very inexpensive German Army surplus G3 magazines! These are compatible with DPMS upper receivers. For anyone that plans to build a new AR-10, this is the lower to use! It is noteworthy that CMMG also makes a lower that is compatible with DPMS-type AR-10 magazines.

MagPul Industries announced 7.62x51 polymer magazines for the KAC and DPMS AR-10s at the 2009 SHOT Show. Based on the track record of their polymer 5.56 magazines, these should be great. They key question is: Will they make it into production before a new Federal; ban is enacted?

The going rate for 20 round Armalite, KAC, and DPMS steel AR-10 magazines is $65 to $75 each, and climbing. That means buying 20 spare magazines will nearly double the acquisition cost of a rifle. Yikes! If you know anyone that owns those brands of AR-10, tell them to buy plenty of spare mags, soon. After the upcoming ban, they will be $200+ each. I'm not kidding.

The bottom line: In today's market, unless you are absurdly wealthy, you should buy only AR-10s that can accept standard metric FN-FAL magazines, or HK G3 magazines!

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: AR-10 update from Rawles
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:32:24 AM »
JWR Replies: Let me start with a pet peeve. The terms clip and magazine are not synonymous. A clip holds cartridges only at one end, whereas a magazine complete surrounds a cartridge. In the context of modern detachable magazine battle rifles, a clip is what is used to fill a magazine. Please do not call a magazine a clip, especially around children. They are impressionable, and I 'd hate to see another generation growing up to use faulty nomenclature.

Haz is not alone,........ ;D

The going rate for 20 round Armalite, KAC, and DPMS steel AR-10 magazines is $65 to $75 each, and climbing. That means buying 20 spare magazines will nearly double the acquisition cost of a rifle. Yikes! If you know anyone that owns those brands of AR-10, tell them to buy plenty of spare mags, soon. After the upcoming ban, they will be $200+ each. I'm not kidding.

That is NOT encouraging... :'(

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »

That is NOT encouraging... :'(

You can get the DPMS mags for $45.  Still not cheap, but better than his quoted figures.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Harmony Hermit

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »
IT's sad that the AR10 was not adopted by the Military as the AR15 series was. Every AR 15 clone and many other 5.56 rifles use the standard mags.

Manufacturers should set a standard for the AR10 and stick to it, using FAL mags would be a great idea as they are common and cheep. The AR10 is an excellent platform and would be far superior to the FAL had it been adopted. Better triggers and sights and the modularity that makes the AR15 platform so great.

And get rid of the McNamara button (Forward assist) which is basically useless anyway.

Comon industry, get off yer butts and standardize.

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 06:53:37 PM »
You can get the DPMS mags for $45.  Still not cheap, but better than his quoted figures.

Please tell me where to find some!!!!! (at whatever price)  Any links would be appreciated.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:10:14 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
Please tell me where to find some!!!!! (at whatever price)  Any links would be appreciated.

Brownells had them last night.  I punched in 10 to see if they were available and the order accepted it ... I canceled it, because I don't have the pennies right now.  I may be sorry in a couple weeks.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:14:19 AM »
Like anything else magazine fed.. good luck.  The Bushmaster has been out of production for a while, and the RRA LAR-8 is the Bushmaster reworked (they bought it).  The DPMS/KAC use the SR-25 magazine, while the AR-10 uses the mentioned M14 magazine style.  Yes, you can convert the M14 magazine, but there are reliability issues with doing that.  Armalite came out with a Gen-2 magazine that is fantastic, currently very hard to find.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
I've got a bunch of FAL mags...all I need is an FAL, or a RRA!

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
Good mags are probably better than gold as an investment. They may even be the new currency.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

L.E. Keeney

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »

Midway had them two weeks ago..I found some for a friend that way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk