Author Topic: Snubby Question  (Read 18880 times)

Cancerman

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Snubby Question
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 04:34:30 PM »
CDR to add to the discussion, I have shot the light weight and standard steel snubbies. the light weight need awfully light loads to practice much with. With standard 38 special I felt like I was shooting a short barreled 44 magnum.  The steel ones although heavier ar far more comfortable to practice with for me. since I became a cancer patient I started turning a S&W 649 into may "cancer" gun. It is lighter than what I normally carry, since I don't have the forearm and grip strength I used to at the moment. Once it is finished I will post a picture of it and details of what was done.

Willie

norfdet

• Active Forum Member
  • www.usrange.org
    • Urban Survival Range
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2007, 09:05:30 PM »
After reading all these responses, I like this place more and more. I would like to suggest one alternative that I did not remember seeing in any of the responses. Have you considered the airweight j-frames? I see some mentioned the 642. I daily carry a 638-3 in a pocket holster when I am off duty and it rides in an ankle holster when I am working as a BUG to my department issued Glock 19. I have owned scandium revolvers and found that they are just too punishing to even practice with. I have a steel 640 and unless you plan on buying a used older model 38 special only, the new 357 versions are (IMHO) too heavy for every day pocket carry. I would suggest (as some have) the 642, 442, 637 or the 638. I recently added the Crimson Trace LG-405 grips to mine and find that this is just about the best CCW package that I have encountered in the 16 years that I have been carrying guns.

You have been given some good advice by some of the experts and what I have is pretty much .02 cents worth compared to theirs but I thought it was worth mentioning. Whatever you decide I think that everyone would agree that a j-frame is a fine choice.

Regards.

rich642z

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »
I have a 642-2 with the lock on it and it shoots just fine. I use remingtons green and white box 125+ps .38 ammo to shoot in the gun along with the LG305s grips. The 305 grips are even with the grip part of the frame. And I group at 25 yards 3.05 inches. Not bad for a Smith 642-2.   And I have no problem with the locking system on the gun.    Rich Ziemies,642z,Omaha,Ne. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »
Right now, I have a 28 oz Taurus 617 in my front right pocket. I'm Barely noticing it's there. You should have no problems carrying the 640 that way. I have it in it's Bianchi model 6 Leather IWB holster. Now I DON'T carry this everyday. I did this just to test it out. I too will be getting a pocket revolver sometime this year. I'm Wanting either a S&W 649 in .357, or a Taurus 651. I'm leaning towards the Taurus. Cause they seem a little easier to find at the gun shows and such. When I get one, I'm gonna put Lasergrips on them. I'm almost as big a fan of them as Mike Bane. I don't like the ones for GLOCKS though. Changes the Grip too much.

How do Y'all feel about the shrouded hammer models like the S&W 649 and Taurus 651? I like the idea of having reduced snag on the draw with the option of still using single action when I may want.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
PS: Daly, the .44 Maggie snubbie "car gun" project continues apace with Jim Stroh...I think I'm going to have him set it up with C&S "Extreme Duty" fixed sigts regulated for 240-grain JHPs on the theory that a car gun gets bounced around a lot, and you don't shoot a big snub all that much for fun. I'll practice with an all-steel Taurus 3-inch .44 Special, whicih is pretty much a tank!

I'd like to hear more about that project. Sounds interesting.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 09:34:29 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk