Author Topic: AR .223/5.56 barrel twist question  (Read 30179 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR .223/5.56 barrel twist question
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:27:53 PM »
Ok, so I managed to get an AR before the election and the EBR and PIF frenzy started.  Have another that was put away that was built during the ban and is lacking some evil features.  Don't know much about them and have been asking a few questions here and getting good answers.  Although barrels seem to be hard to get, I have also been gathering some parts and tools to change the barrel on one and to build another, but I have a few questions on twist rates and bullet weights.

What bullet weights work best in the following twist rates and barrel lenghts?

16" barrel
           1:7
           1:8
           1:9

20" barrel
           1:7
           1:8
           1:9
Thank again for your help
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

tombogan03884

Re: AR .223/5.56 barrel twist question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
If I remember right ( feel free too correct me you guys) the lighter the bullet the tighter the twist.

D-Man

• Active Forum Member
    • 5 Arrows Tactical
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »
Actually a tighter twist can stabilize a much heavier bullet.  Such as a 1:7 is great for an 80grain bullet.  1:9 can handle the mid 50 grain bullets up to the 70 grain bullets.  1:8 is for the 60 grain to upper 70 grain bullets.  Those numbers are just based on my experience.

Darren

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor / NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home / NRA Metallic & Shotgun Reloading / NRA RSO

UT/FL/VA Certified CCW Instructor

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/

http://twitter.com/5ArrowsTactical

http://www.nevadabackcountrytours.com/

Semper Fidelis!

Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle - Psalm 144:1

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:50:19 PM »
So will a lighter bullet stabilize in a tighter twist barrel, such as a 45-55 grain bullet shooting well in a 1:8 twist barrel.   I have heard people use the term that a bullet can "over stabilize."  I always figured a bullet was either stable or not stable. 
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »
I don't know that you can "over stabilize," but if you put too much spin on a light bullet it will destabilize or even fly apart.  That might be what they were refering to when they said "over stabilize."

There is more to stabilization than just twist.  It is a combination of twist, bullet weight, and bullet speed.  That is where handloading gets interesting  ::)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:21:24 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:36:04 PM »
In the AR-15 the most common twist rate is 1 in 9". This will stabilize up to 69 grains quite well. I've read that some get fairly good accuracy with up to 75 grains, but that's pushing it. for 70 grains and above a 1 in 7" twist is preferable, and even necessary. You can try some 75 grain ammo in a 1 in 9" twist and see how it performs. The worst is they will keyhole, but you'll only be out a box of ammo. For very light bullets from 45 to 55 grains a 1 in 12" twist will work. Many .22-250 barrels are rifled with a 1in12", or a 1 in 10" twist. The longer the bullet the more twist is required to stabilize it. Weight is a second consideration to length.   Bill T.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
I just read an article on this.  It's a (slight) misconception to say that bullet weight determines proper twist for bullet stabilization.  It's actually bullet length.  However, since heavier bullets are generally longer in the same caliber, you can make that statement and be basically right.

In general
1:7 will stabilize 55-77gr bullets
1:9 will stabilize 45-62gr bullets
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »
Getting closer.  you need to look at the driving band of the bullet(the portion of bullet that comes into
contact with the barrel).  Heavier bullets being longer naturally have a longer driving band. I shot 75gr bthp
in my .223 for years with absolutely superb results.  55gr fmj have very little driving band. There are
variations depending on manufacturer.  I shoot frangible now and have almost the same driving band in
a 42gr bullet that I had in the 75gr bullet.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »
The twist rate is all about bullet RPM in the end, that's where barrel length and velocity with the same twist rate vary. Here is a pretty good article on the subject along with the formula for figuring it out.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/06/03/calculating-bullet-rpm-spin-rates-and-stability/

On another note, most jacketed rifle bullets do not have driving bands,  Lapua, Norma and Barnes are exceptions, as they definitely do have driving bands in some offerings.

I have a custom Krieger barrel, 26" 1/6.5" twist for using 80-90 grain VLD bullets in one of my AR's, it shoots the 77 grainers well too. The 77 grain is the longest bullet that will still feed and fit in GI magazine.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 06:01:05 PM »
Good info guys, I'm learning a lot in an area I am not as familiar with as I'd like to be.

Here is another link to a calculator for barrel twist. It was on the page m25 referenced above, but this is the straight link to it.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk