Author Topic: Scope Adjustments - are they really necessary?  (Read 13152 times)

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Scope Adjustments - are they really necessary?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »
They do indeed have a practical purpose.  It all depends on your skill level.  For precision long-range or sniper shooting, you train to read the wind, range, temperature, and other factors and do the math.  You can then make the adjustments you will need to avoid holding "off target" to compensate, or as some of us old school guys call it, Kentucky Windage.  After you take your shot (shots) you can easily reset your reticle to zero using the large knobs, even while wearing gloves.  At night, in the field, making adjustments is easier with larger knobs on the turrets.  In most hunting situations making those kinds of adjustments are not necessary. 

Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »
Some of you must think I'm stupid.  "What are knobs for?" 

The question centered around the use of such prominent knobs when coupled with Mil-Dot reticles.   I thought the purpose of mil-dot was so you didn't have to "adjust" anything except your point of aim.   The bonus  being there's nothing to remember to reset.  Also the dots and spaces, being of a given "mil" actually help you in ranging. 

I guess it just struck me as odd to pay for "target" knobs on a Mil-Dot reticle.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 06:14:20 PM »
Maybe the big knobs are for gross adjustments, 100 yards adjusting out to 700, then you use your mil dot to adjust for the target at 710 and then go to 760 and so on.  One may mark their knob setting for every 100 yards then switch to the mil dots for small changes.

And maybe they're just there to look cool.  You should know all about that SAUVE .

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:16:59 PM »
This is a difficult subject to discuss, if you have not used the mildot system, for what it was designed for, 1st is ranging target distance, this is an art unto itself, but it does work well, but homework and math are needed to use it effectively. 2nd, the mildot system can be used for holdover, the wind or leading a moving target, this is used for shots that need to be taken quickly ( generally ) at unknown distances, because the target is getting away, and is best used with a good spotter, unless your rifle has no recoil and you can see the dirt fly in your scope. As previously mentioned, the bar section of the reticle, between the dots is a milradian, milradian = 3.6 minutes of angle, the dot itself varies, but an inch is common, and must be included, SO, 1 milradian + 1 mildot, = 4.6 minutes of angle, but you can take away half the dot, if your shooting for the center of the dot, so it = 4.1moa. At 200 yards this means that the distance between the actual center of the reticle and the 2nd dot would = 8.2 moa, roughly 8".

I recommend you go to http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemohi.html and play with their demo game, not just to play, but take the reticle ( mildot ) and move it up and down on the targets presented at different distances, and just look at the relationship between moving between 1 dot to the next, aiming at the same target, and the center of the reticle.

Now here is a link to what all those dots, and lines equal and a short course in using them.
http://www.eabco.com/Reports/MildotRep01.htm

A scope that will fulfill most of what you expect is the Horace sighting system, here is a link to that, knobs are not needed too often, but the scope is busy. Benny Coolie uses one, and likes it, and Benny can shoot ;D

www.dtic.mil/ndia/2002infantry/cutshaw2.pdf
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Some of you must think I'm stupid.  "What are knobs for?" 

The question centered around the use of such prominent knobs when coupled with Mil-Dot reticles.   I thought the purpose of mil-dot was so you didn't have to "adjust" anything except your point of aim.   The bonus  being there's nothing to remember to reset.  Also the dots and spaces, being of a given "mil" actually help you in ranging. 

I guess it just struck me as odd to pay for "target" knobs on a Mil-Dot reticle.

Don't know about you , Alf but I always liked prominent knobs. ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:44:38 PM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 07:45:47 PM »

Howd you get that picture of M'ette...... I thought I had the only one.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »
Don't know about you , Alf but I always liked prominent knobs. ;D
[/quote
]

Those are "target knobs." And I dunno about ya'll but I don't think big knobs are ugly on a rifle. I have been called a "knob tweaker" too btw.  ::)  Maybe it's because I am thirty. But, I do think bigger knobs look better. Although reading what Alf said.. he's got a point. I don't think it's so important to have them with the mildot...unless you are doing serious long range shooting.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 12:41:14 AM »
So you can read them without moving your head from the scope? That is, from a shooting position.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Badgersmilk

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »
Only what I've been taught.  So if your looking to argue, or show off dont bother.

The knobs are for "deliberate shots".  When you have time to dial in the cross hairs for proper, most accurate firing. 

The dots are for "quick target aquisition".  You dont have time to dial in, but know your target is far enough away to require compensation.  Thats why Mil-dots have dots above the cross hairs.  Say you've dialed the scope in for a 600 yard shot.  All the sudden a guy pops up 300 yards in front of you and he's got a scope on your buddy.  Your buddy will thank you for not taking the time to dial in, but instead use the dots to compensate and maybe not make a "lethal" shot, but at least HIT the guy!

To many people on this site "know" everything though.  And only reply if they see an oportunity to show off.  So before they point it out...  What I said is ALL WRONG!

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »
Only what I've been taught.  So if your looking to argue, or show off dont bother.

The knobs are for "deliberate shots".  When you have time to dial in the cross hairs for proper, most accurate firing. 

The dots are for "quick target aquisition".  You dont have time to dial in, but know your target is far enough away to require compensation.  Thats why Mil-dots have dots above the cross hairs.  Say you've dialed the scope in for a 600 yard shot.  All the sudden a guy pops up 300 yards in front of you and he's got a scope on your buddy.  Your buddy will thank you for not taking the time to dial in, but instead use the dots to compensate and maybe not make a "lethal" shot, but at least HIT the guy!

To many people on this site "know" everything though.  And only reply if they see an oportunity to show off.  So before they point it out...  What I said is ALL WRONG!

He's talking about "LARGE KNOBS" on the turrets, as opposed to smaller, more "discreet" "Target turrets".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk