Author Topic: SIGHTS FOR AR 15  (Read 4893 times)

madarcher427

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SIGHTS FOR AR 15
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:24:34 AM »
MY BUDDY IS BUYING AN AR 15 ,HE WANTS SOMETHING THAT HE COULD USE AT CLOSE RANGE & OUT 200YDS ,HE WAS THINKING ABOUT THE EVOTECH (I THINK ITS CALLED )

HES BLIND AS A BAT ITS PRIAMARLIL FOR HUTNING & TARGET BUT JUST IN CASE  YOU EVER NEED WHAT DOES EVERYONE RECOMEND WHAT ABOUT THAT t1

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1088
Re: SIGHTS FOR AR 15
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:44:21 AM »
I think a variable power scope is better for hunting than an Eotech.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

kendric98

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:54:12 AM »
I think aimpoint might be a good idea, i think there better. Also i think you shouldnt yell.

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »
If your friend wants to use the AR primarily for hunting than I agree that a variable power scope would probably be a better choice.

If the AR is primarily for home defense, I would look at either an Aimpoint or an EOTech scope.  Make sure he checks out the scopes before he purchases one.  Some people with vision issues find the EOTech's difficult to use.

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

dnittler

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 11:03:45 AM »
I would skip the EOTech, and get an aimpoint.

I would be comfortable out to 120 yards or so with that and a 14.5" bbl for deer assuming you are using 5.56 - 75 grain hornady TAP or similar ammo with meplats (sorta like a hollow point), which is the load and length I use. Probably the longest hunting shot your buddy is likely to make anyway. That round is very effective on big hogs, too.

This would allow a superb home defense optic as well as a decent hunting optic. The scope option is a superb hunting optic, but is worthless at home defense range so your buddy is going to be stuck wtih his irons at home.

With an 18"+ bbl I would be comfortable that a humane kill could be made out a little further.

My personal floor is around 1,000 ft/lbs energy for a small So. Texas white taiil. At 100 yards and an 18" bbl, the 75 gr, .223 load is producing 2561 FPS and 1092 Ft/Lbs of energy. That drops to 2344 FPS and 915 Ft/Lbs of energy, so if it was a very very clean shot, I might go out to 200 yards with the 18" bbl with 3x magnifications if the rifle grouped well. I think 175 is a little more realistic max range for this load/bbl length.

120-150 yards is about my limit of good grouping with zero magnification red dot. I can get minute of terrorist groups out to 300 yards, but it's not enough for me to be comfortable with a humane white tail kill in heavy brush. I don't like rattle snakes, and a long walk through the deep brush is not fun.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:08:56 PM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:54:50 PM »
Your buddies got bad eyes.  Keep in mind scopes that magnify optical images also help "brighten up" the sight picture in low light situations.  Maybe look at some of the "shotgun" scopes with variable power like 2X-6X.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »
I wear glasses, without them the Eotech looks  like a hoop of fire, the Aimpoint is also sparkly, but usable, with the glasses on, the both work fine. I have a Leupold 1.5x5 vx 3 on 1 of my AR's and it works very well, usable even in the house, but not perfect. A scope you can adjust the ocular lens to fit your eyesight in most cases and leave it there.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

dnittler

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »
I have a Leupold 1.5x5 vx 3 on 1 of my AR's and it works very well, usable even in the house, but not perfect.

That is a really good compromise.

You get the magnification for long range work, and you are still faster up close than you would be with irons.

Just a tad bit slower than a true 1x red dot optic because of the 1.5x magnification, but not much slower. Any optic that is variable, short of a Schmidt and Bender 1x3, is going to be slower than a 1x red rot. 

Another random thought: I just picked up a used Colt one-piece mount for a 1” scope on ebay for like $26 (they are on their regularly). You can slap an inexpensive 3-9 x crosshair scope in there for hunting, and put the red dot back on for up-close work.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:32:08 PM »
That is the same mount I've got the 1.5x5 on, and it returns to zero pretty well. It came with my Colt Hbar upper many moons ago.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm reading some key items:

1.  Hunting;
2.  100 to 200 yards;
3.  Blind as a bat

Magnification comes to mind.

Variable due to wide range of distances and eye sight limitations.

I am looking in the Midway USA catalog and see several 3 - 10, 3-12, 4 - 12 (wide range of magnification and more than average eyes would need).

In the catalog I also see that most of these are large objectives which would give excellent light transmission (more help for poor eyes).

I would also suggest a mount on the AR that allows to use the iron sights through the scope mounts.  I have one of these that has three rails on it - 2-7 on top, a red dot on one side, and I can use iron through the handle mount.

I suggest going to a good dealer that will snap the scopes on a mount and let you test.  I do a lot of experimenting at Cabellas, because they have a good selection, different stock configurations, and the inside of the store is large enough to view several ranges (I get them to take out a range finder and mark different mounts around the building).
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk