Poll

Which is the best?

M1 Garand
Mosin-Nagant M91
Lee-Enfield SMLE mkIII/IV
Mauser Gewehr 98
Arisaka rifle

Author Topic: Best WWII infantry battle rifle  (Read 40164 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best WWII infantry battle rifle
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2009, 11:28:10 PM »
I agree wth you. On lest point there's a Great Churchill story, sort like LBJ, every Churchill story is great.
Churchill is speking to German ambassador and is warnd that if war comes "This time the  Italians will be on or Side".
Churchill responds, "Its only fair, we were stuck them the last time".
FQ13

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2009, 11:11:15 PM »
I just stumbled upon this so howdy everybody. 

Badgersmilk: Its a bit off topic as far as the rifles concerned, but the idea that one specific piece of equipment did this or that is a bit short sighted.  Spitfires: great airplane, but it wouldn't  be worth a crap without the radar used to direct them.  They were highly outnumbered, but the radar stations allowed the Brits to better position what little assets they did have. 

Hitler essentially  screwed himself by double-crossing the Russkies, but it was the Germans we were racing to get the atomic bomb. 

While Pearl Harbor pissed America off, even the Admiral Yamoto knew that they had "awakened a sleeping giant".  More effort and material were pushed toward the European Theater because that was perceived as the greatest threat.

If there is one word to attribute to an Allied victory; it would be attrition.  The Allies had more stuff.

With that being said, I voted M1 'cause Grampa would whoop my behind if I said otherwise.  That and the M1 was semi-auto. 

Everyone can save all the hoopla about this action and that round and those sights.  John Hinckley, Jr. fired 6 shots from a .22 "Saturday Night Special" that hit Four targets:  Two men doing their jobs, a president and the husband of the present anti-gunner nemesis.  Within 2 seconds a lunatic with a bit of motivation nearly killed a president, paralyzed one and wounded two others.  I haven't looked, but I don't believe anyone has ever asked Mr. Hinckley about sight pictures, maintenance of the weapon, trigger pull, etc.  A lot of it depended on providence or luck, if you wish.
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2009, 11:23:38 PM »
I said it before and I'll say it again.

Soldier, what's that weapon you're carrying?

Sir, U.S. rifle, M1, caliber 30, gas operated, air cooled, semi automatic, shoulder weapon, Sir.

AKA, the best in the poll.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

tombogan03884

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2009, 11:41:24 PM »
To expand on Broso's post,  Equipment doesn't matter as long as it is functional.
In the Spanish American War we beat the Spanish troops with obsolete second rate rifles. We used the 30/40 Krag Jorgenson rifle with black powder cartridges that gave off a cloud of smoke marking the shooters position, they were out ranged by the Spanish Mausers using SMOKELESS powder, It wasn't experience that made the difference, the Spanish had been fighting Cuban revolutionaries for years. The difference was HEART and Leadership. Our troops were volunteers who wanted to kick some ass, led by LEADERS against Spanish troops who while they put up a good fight, wanted to live through it, commanded by Officers who commanded from the rear.
What beat Germany in BOTH World wars was American Production and American numbers.
As to the Spitfire, P 38's, P 47's and P51's got into the war neither the British or Germans had a first rate aircraft. Ours could do everything theirs could with 2 or 3  (maybe more ) times the range. German aircraft from flying from France could cover South Eastern England with a loiter time of 20 minutes, American planes flying from England flew to BERLIN with about the same loiter time.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »
If I remember right, there were around 600 Americans on Teddy's attacking a force of about 200 Spainards.  Which is about the most common ratio of attackers vs defenders that is most commonly recommended.  Now, if they had been Marines probably a company and half would have done the job. 
DesertMarine

Sponsor

« Reply #85 on: Today at 06:28:06 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »
Could not quickly find a break down of forces actually engaged, but here are the Casualty numbers
Commanders

Flag of the United States                                                                          Flag of Spain
Casualties and losses
205 dead
1,180 wounded    58 dead
                                                                                                               170 wounded
                                                                                                                39 captured

Wiki is wrong when it says that Spanish defenses were badly sited so I question all the rest of their info as well

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »
If I remember right, there were around 600 Americans on Teddy's attacking a force of about 200 Spainards.  Which is about the most common ratio of attackers vs defenders that is most commonly recommended.  Now, if they had been Marines probably a company and half would have done the job. 

Here's a OK site for some info on the Spanish American War.

http://www.spanamwar.com/index.htm

http://www.spanamwar.com/tr2.htm

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Tanklet

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »
M1 Garand, I'd have shot the first German toting an Mp40 or a GEW 43 or an FG42 or an MP44; I'd ditch the Garand afterwards.
Rate of fire wins fights.

tombogan03884

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2009, 12:28:56 AM »
M1 Garand, I'd have shot the first German toting an Mp40 or a GEW 43 or an FG42 or an MP44; I'd ditch the Garand afterwards.
Rate of fire wins fights.

Ever handled the FG 42 or StG44(MP44) They are HEAVY. If you have ever been on a 10 or 20 mile march with pack you will understand.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2009, 05:00:26 AM »
Ever handled the FG 42 or StG44(MP44) They are HEAVY. If you have ever been on a 10 or 20 mile march with pack you will understand.

the M1 is not exactly a light wieght either...
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk