Poll

Which is the best?

M1 Garand
Mosin-Nagant M91
Lee-Enfield SMLE mkIII/IV
Mauser Gewehr 98
Arisaka rifle

Author Topic: Best WWII infantry battle rifle  (Read 40163 times)

Ocin

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best WWII infantry battle rifle
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:44:35 AM »
This poll is not meant to cover all infantry weapons, but I think I have those that were issued most covered.

If you think I missed one. please let me know which and why.

Ocin
Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.
Gandhi, An Autobiography, p. 446 (Beacon Press paperback edition)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Best WWII infantry battle rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:09:45 AM »
Interesting poll, I voted the Mauser 98. I own one, and have read the history of the rifle.  The bolt action used in the Mauser 98 has set the standard for modern bolt actions today.

When describing a bolt action the Mauser claw extraction and simple design and function are beautiful.

Yes the M1 was/is awesome, but the Germans and Japanese also knew when to listen for the "Garand Ping" fired on the last round, meaning the gun was in need of reloading. Moreover, one always needed the loading en bloc "clips" (sorry Haz), and reloading of those took longer than the stripper clips of the Mauser. Plus, the M1 was/is heavier.

The M1 semi-auto was the "equalizer" , however the Mauser, IMHO had more to offer for the Infantryman, and sniper. The 98K fitted with a scope, was lethal at longer distances than the M1.

Just my .02 cents. I am Mauser biased, and mine still shoots better than I can.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:15:37 AM »
P.S. I forgot to mention the Garand bite. You had to watch that thumb.. ::)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 07:23:28 AM »
Interesting poll, I voted the Mauser 98. I own one, and have read the history of the rifle.  The bolt action used in the Mauser 98 has set the standard for modern bolt actions today.

When describing a bolt action the Mauser claw extraction and simple design and function are beautiful.

Yes the M1 was/is awesome, but the Germans and Japanese also knew when to listen for the "Garand Ping" fired on the last round, meaning the gun was in need of reloading. Moreover, one always needed the loading en bloc "clips" (sorry Haz), and reloading of those took longer than the stripper clips of the Mauser. Plus, the M1 was/is heavier.

The M1 semi-auto was the "equalizer" , however the Mauser, IMHO had more to offer for the Infantryman, and sniper. The 98K fitted with a scope, was lethal at longer distances than the M1.

Just my .02 cents. I am Mauser biased, and mine still shoots better than I can.

Us cagey 'Mercans got around that one. The rifleman would toss an empty clip up in the air and let it 'ping' on the ground after firing a round or two... ;D

And as to Garand Thumb, a bigger suckage knows no man than one slammed by that bolt. I was introduced to it on my uncles rifle when his neighbor didn't heed his warning.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:08 PM »
At first I thought the Garand was the best because it was a semi-auto, but I voted for the Mauser because it's design influenced so many other rifles. But the SMLE is the most rugged from what I read. Now I think I should have voted for the Garand like my first instinct said. I'm still undecided.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:15:31 AM »

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
The only way you got an M1 thumb is if you pushed down on the follower and not holding the handle back and you only did it once.  More interesting was M1 trigger finger, which our DI's used on people for jerking the trigger.  I imagine that in combat, with rifle fire noise, artillery, grenades going of, that the ping would be noticeable.  If I remember right, the ping is when the clip(correct term, it is not a magazine) is kicked out of the rifle after the 8th round.  Fortunately, I did not use the Garand in combat but in live fire problems, the ping was not noticeable.
DesertMarine

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 10:06:47 PM »
My Dad talks about M-1 Lip, a fat lip from having your thumb hit you with each recoil.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »
I voted the M1 for several reasons, accurate, reliable, and more firepower, a better sighting system than anyone had to date, except for optics and I would bet more on the adjustability and durability, than the optics had at the time, not to mention the M1D optically sighted version, the M1 redefined the battlefield rifle, you could say the enbloc clip was a weak link, but single loading an M1 is not hard if you found yourself out of clips. I do believe I could put an M1 back in action as fast as someone could load a M98 with stripper clip, if not faster. I have experience with both and respect both, but in battle, I would take the M1, or more preferably M1A. I would not feel undergunned with either, but if given a bolt action, would change my tactics.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
What General Patton said.   ;D

As far as M1 thumb... Smart people only do that once...   :P
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 09:32:08 AM »
What General Patton said.   ;D

Everyone who didn't use it, pretty much had their asses handed to them in a sling.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk