Author Topic: Why Flat Mainspring Housings???  (Read 10013 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why Flat Mainspring Housings???
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
Just a little additional info about my small chubby hands I was thinking about today.  When I was golfing once a week I found that when I bought golf gloves a medium cadet (short fingers) fit best.  I have always used a FMSH but my GS turned me on to the short trigger.  I've also stated before that the Swenson style TS doesn't work for me.  I have had to have the thumb lever/shelf or whetever you call it extended about 1/4" past the front and widened and extended back to almost the back edge perpendicular to the pin that extends thru the hammer.  I have never seen another TS like mine but I am sure others with small hands/short thumbs could benefit from this mod.

FWIW

Richard

PS:  I'm retired from Ohio Dept. of Trans. construction dept where I worked with PE's an dyou can tell an engineer....but you can't tell him much!!!!!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
I have normal size hands for a big guy and found that thinner grip panels really helped me.  It feels right and everything is where I need it to be, narrows the gun down to about the width of the slide.  The grips screws and bushings need to be replaced with shorter versions, usually come with the grips.

Engineers can be led to water and be taught to drink from the fountain.....THE COMMON SENSE NEEDS TO BE JAMBED DOWN THEIR THROATS..... ;D

I hate it when people lose their jobs but this week we rid our selves of 4 guys, all frat boys with poop on their hands and two months salary in their pockets....

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1064
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
Just a little additional info about my small chubby hands I was thinking about today.  When I was golfing once a week I found that when I bought golf gloves a medium cadet (short fingers) fit best.  I have always used a FMSH but my GS turned me on to the short trigger.  I've also stated before that the Swenson style TS doesn't work for me.  I have had to have the thumb lever/shelf or whetever you call it extended about 1/4" past the front and widened and extended back to almost the back edge perpendicular to the pin that extends thru the hammer.  I have never seen another TS like mine but I am sure others with small hands/short thumbs could benefit from this mod.

FWIW

Richard

PS:  I'm retired from Ohio Dept. of Trans. construction dept where I worked with PE's an dyou can tell an engineer....but you can't tell him much!!!!!

I'd like to see pic's if you got 'em.
Your safety sounds like something I might be interested in.

I have medium sized hands and a standard or long trigger works, but I found I had better control when Bullseye shooting with the short. I have a Springfield Armory 1911 with slim grips and will be changing the trigger soon.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »
The arched MSH hits near the bottom of my hand and leaves a void between the center of my palm and the backstrap.    My hand isn't that big, it just doesn't fit the arched housing.   One of the first things I bought for my MK IV was a flat housing.  I would try one if the arch were higher up on the housing.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 07:21:52 PM »
PegLeg45 Wish I could post pictures but I haven't a clue!

Sorry,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:32:34 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »
KSail,

I went back and re-read your original post and after my little rant offer this for information.

I qualified on the 1911 in both its forms because it was then the militarys standard sidearm.  It's all we had and as a squid, any time at a range was quality time because we didn't get to do it that often.  Sailors generally don't carry a sidearm, nor are they required to qualify on one.  I also gained Marksman on the M14 as well for no other reason than to shoot free ammuntion that had been sitting in the armory for years and years.

I learned to shoot it well and never really thought about it until I re-read your post.  After I got out, the first gun I bought was a Beretta 92 or the grand daddy to the M9.  I bought it because it was cool, you could load it on Monday and shoot till Tuesday with the 15 round mags and I was 22 years old!  After thinking about it, it probably took me a couple thousand rounds before I could shoot the thing consistantly but, once I figured it out I could drive tacks with the friggin thing.

Your probably right, the A1 arch feels better because the muscle memory in your hand is tuned to the feel of it.  It's not a hard swap and there are a bunch of folks who sell them, some with beveled mag well extensions for race guns and such.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 07:32:53 PM »
PegLeg45 Wish I could post pictures but I haven't a clue!

Sorry,

Richard

That's quite alright.....I think I get your drift on what it would look like.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 07:37:36 PM »
Sorry just got off work so now I can reply again.

I read someone mentioned thin grips. I have fairly large hands size 10 or 11 depending on glove. I think thin grips Arched mainspring would be something I would like to try.

I dont know, I am a little younger and the guns I have put the most rounds down range with are Glock XD ect, most poly\modern handguns. So I think when I shot that Springer this weekend it felt really natural to me. A 1911 always feels different to me. It is something I have to get used to when I it pick up, long heavy front and now that I know what to feel for, flat grip. Which is opposite to people who have been shooting alot longer than me where the 1911 is natural and Glocks are odd.

Did we win???

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
Sorry just got off work so now I can reply again.

I read someone mentioned thin grips. I have fairly large hands size 10 or 11 depending on glove. I think thin grips Arched mainspring would be something I would like to try.

I dont know, I am a little younger and the guns I have put the most rounds down range with are Glock XD ect, most poly\modern handguns. So I think when I shot that Springer this weekend it felt really natural to me. A 1911 always feels different to me. It is something I have to get used to when I it pick up, long heavy front and now that I know what to feel for, flat grip. Which is opposite to people who have been shooting alot longer than me where the 1911 is natural and Glocks are odd.

Find what's comfortable to YOU kid, that's what matters.  It should be a pleasure to pick up a gun and shoot, if it feels odd, that ain't fun, don't let the ramblings of a grumpy old squid pursuade you otherwise...every once in a while even my own kid tells me to shut the f**k up!

Enjoy the sport with what ever tools you want to use.  There probably isn't one guy on this forum who has a "Stock" gun anymore unless is still in the original box!!!!!

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »
I have one of these with a slim grip set-up. You could throw an arched housing in there and bang away.    ;)

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=8

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk