Author Topic: Show #21 - 08/29/07 The neverending market of the 1911  (Read 29602 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Show #21 - 08/29/07 The neverending market of the 1911
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »

Michael talks about the 1911 and the question #1; Which make & model should I buy?

http://www.downrange.tv/podcast.htm

This week's references
             and learn more links :
    1911 Manufacturers in alphabetical order

MAGAZINES:

NOTE: 1911 Magazines and accessories are available from our sponsor MIDWAY USA

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Show #21 - 08/29/07 The neverending market of the 1911
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:21:45 AM »
I vote for all of them.

I've got a Gold Cup and a Springer GI

IF I had the money that Wilson Combat is calling my name
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:58:24 AM »
Wilson Rogers Magazines?  Are they different from the Wilson Combat Mags?
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

rr4406pak

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »
The 8/29/07 podcast is not showing up on iTunes!
I cannot download it! HELP!

I see it on the website fine but I cannot download it!
Thanks!
--------------------------------------------
Keith Bourgeois

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:19:21 PM »
My Fault!
I think I was the straw that broke the camel's back with my incessant worrying over which 1911 I was going to get.
It was me who made Michael go over the edge and talk about 1911's like they're the hottest thing since Jessica Beale.
Well, not that hot.
Maybe he'll talk about Jessica Beale if I keep asking....
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:05:45 AM »

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 11:29:08 PM »
The 8/29/07 podcast is not showing up on iTunes!
I cannot download it! HELP!

I see it on the website fine but I cannot download it!
Thanks!

Hi!

I just checked my iTunes and it downloads fine at this end. Could be there was a delay through the iTunes store last night.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't talk more about carrying them, but it was a GOOD podcast.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »
Lots of good information in that podcast.  Yes, there are lots of places that make them, and so are the variations.  What a way to tackle it Michael.. :)

My newest one is a Springer Loaded, which has digested thousands in the last 2 years, and been through some classes as well. 
My wife carries a Kimber Compact (old one from 1998, and I have one too).  These two have also digested many many rounds without a problem.

Get good mags, just as Michael said.  Almost all mine are Chip McCormick's or Wilson.  I have 4 Kimber magazines that I believe are Chip's.  I have not tried the ACT mags yet.  hmm.. time for some new mags.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

hodman

• Very Active Forum Member
  • I just need faster reloads with my wallet
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
OK just listened to the pod cast and I have a few random thoughts.

1.   I am a big fan of the 1911 I have some where around 5 currently (but I haven’t been to a gun store today) and I bet I have owned around 30 so far.
2.   I have a Wilson Combat in 9mm / 38 Super that runs perfect but I have had a Springfield in 9mm that I almost hurled into the wood line one day.
3.   I have a Wilson Supergrade in 45 ACP best handgun I have ever owned (besides the 3 I had before this one) runs perfect on Wilson mags can be choked on other mags. 
4.   I have one of the first Kimber Ultra CDP’s that the custom shop built that runs 100% with Wilson mags.   
5.   I have a STI Eagle 5.0 in 40 that just keeps running but I have 1000.00 in magazines to get it that way.

To sum up my thoughts the further away from a standard 1911 in 45 ACP you get the more it is going to cost to make it run 100% and don’t scrimp on Magazines!
 The only 1911 that I don’t carry or shoot in IDPA or USPSA  with is a Union Switch and Signal that had all value taken out of it in the 70’s (it was about 80% and was made into a gun to shoot IPSC with)

Jon
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »
Well, I can talk more about carrying them next week! I was sort of thinking about doing another all-1911 podcast. When I was out at the range a couple of days ago, I ran a bunch of 230-gr ball through my Wayne Novak/GUNSITE S&W lightweight Commander-length — one of my all-time super-deluxe favorite 1911s —  and the little Kimber Ulta Carry II that I had Wayne overhaul.

What a difference a custom gunsmith makes! As you guys know, I'm simply not a big fan of short-slide 1911s (the Ultra Carry's a 3 1/2 inch slide gun) with the exception of the Detonics CombatMaster. I've had the Ultra Carry around for a while, but haven't really put a huge number of rounds through it...it was an instructional gun. Wayne's overhaul made a staggering difference in the little gun. I figured I'd run a few rounds through it and then go to the S&W.

I started at 5 yards, then worked my way back to 15, stopping at 7, 10 and 12. When I was finished I had put 60-70 rounds of Black Hills ball into a single ragged hole, with exactly two fliers less than 1/2 inch from the main group.

HMMMMMMMM, I thought. It seems to working...REAL GOOD! Never had a blip, and I shot the little Kimber every bit as well as my S&W, which is the gun I used on one of my regular trips to GUNSITE and which I have 100% faith in. I may send it BACK to Wayne for a sight replacement (replace the rear Kimber with a Novak and the front with one of Novak's new fiber optic sights, which Wayne says will go the distance).

I can give you a short course in 1911 holsters in a single word...ALESSI. Best there is in leather. For range work I usually use a Blade-tech vertical belt holster or one of the Wilderness Tactical Zip Slides.

Michael B

PS: I agree with Jon...the farther you get from John Browning's basic 5-inch gun, the more likely it is to surprise you in an unpleasant way!
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk