Author Topic: Questions on AR's  (Read 13536 times)

Tenbones

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Questions on AR's
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:08:58 PM »
I don't have an AR and really haven't had much interest in them...but, having said that, lately I have been doing a serious bit of research on building one from a kit.  I'm thinking this would be a fun and interesting project.

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »
The modular design and adaptability of the AR makes it the 1911 of rifles.  You can configure it anyway you like for any mission you deem necessary.  It's used for everything from close quarters CQB to long range precision work and everything in between. 

It's really a do anything platform.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 11:22:34 PM »
My first is a RRA Gov't model (DEA gun) with goodies already attached, and liked it so much I picked up a stripped RRA lower reciever 'cause I thought it'd be a fun project.  It was - I'll pick up another before long.  Got a RRA lower parts kit w/ a match trigger, which made everything nice and simple.  Will probably pick up a LWRS 6.8SPC piston upper.  Hey, go big or go home, right?   ;)

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 08:15:02 AM »
I've been watching the 6.8's with some interest over the last couple of years.  I think it has some real potential, but until some major ammunition manufacturers really step up and start producing the round in quantity, the training costs are too prohibitive for me to switch over at this time.  Hopefully this will change, but until it does I'm sticking with the 5.56.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

Dharmaeye

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »
I'm a newby to AR15 myself. Bought a Bushy through aimsuplus.com  - good price. When shopping for the AR15 and asking lots of questions, the one common denominator among all in a good product was Bushmaster.
Only down side is now ammo is hard to find and/or a lot more expensive.
The Website www.ar15.com is great/ huge, but you have to spend alot of time searching to find stuff.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:13:28 AM »

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 12:35:10 PM »
I've been watching the 6.8's with some interest over the last couple of years.  I think it has some real potential, but until some major ammunition manufacturers really step up and start producing the round in quantity, the training costs are too prohibitive for me to switch over at this time.  Hopefully this will change, but until it does I'm sticking with the 5.56.

Erik

Erik,

I have been watching the whole 6.8spc and 6.5 Grendel thing for several years as well.  The 6.5 seems to be popular here in Montana due to the good ballistics, and use as a hunting round.  I am still thinking of getting one or the other, but yep, ammo cost is up there.  I do a lot of reloading, so it isn't quite as bad, but still expensive anyway.  I have a few years till my boys can hunt, so the thought was to make up my mind by then so that I can get them squared away for hunting.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 01:36:10 PM »
Well, here's yet another opinion...   ::)

I've got a 5.56 RRA gov't model, and a RRA lower that I bought and built up the day Pelosi became speaker...  I've been bouncing back and forth as to whether or not to go with another 5.56 upper, or to set it up with 6.8 or something else... 

Long story short, I'm about to order a LWRC 6.8 piston upper.  I've spoken to several operators who have used them in 'points East', shall we say, and can't break the damn things.  Also, there are several posts at LWRC's forum, Lightfighter, and AR15, that - while they should always be taken with a grain of salt - seem to point to several gov't tests and/or contracts that are about to become public in early CY08, with regards to certain agencies and/or organizations adopting 6.8SPC.  SSA ammo seems to be the preferred round, and there's plenty of examples of hunting success with this round, as well.

YMMV, and there's something for everyone out there...  But as for me and my money, I can only afford to pick one 'bigger' (than .223) round to stock up on as my 'do everything' gun if the fit hits the shan, and 6.8 is it.  If I find the links to some of the specific forum threads, I'll post links.  (Been a few days.)

Take care, watch your 6, and vote guns.

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »
 :P

Pardon my lack of coherence and forgetting that I'd already posted here once about the LWRC...  I have a 19-month old - 'nuff said.  One thing I did omit from the previous post that was outlined by some LWRC staff on their forum is that once the aforementioned contracts are finalized, ammo production in 6.8 will be stepped waaaaay up, which should help drive down the cost for us before too long.  Hopefully before the election and/or Iran finally snaps, but then that's a whole different post, I suppose...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk