Author Topic: Hawaii passes “Islam Day” law  (Read 9442 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hawaii passes “Islam Day” law
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:58:25 AM »
http://michellemalkin.com/2009/05/06/hawaii-passes-islam-day-law/

Hawaii’s state Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to celebrate “Islam Day” _ over the objections of a few lawmakers who said they didn’t want to honor a religion connected to Sept. 11, 2001.

…The resolution to proclaim Sept. 24, 2009, as Islam Day passed the Senate on a 22-3 vote. It had previously passed the House.

The bill seeks to recognize “the rich religious, scientific, cultural and artistic contributions” that Islam and the Islamic world have made.

Malkin notes:
There is, as far as I know, no “Christianity Day” designation in Hawaiian law, though the state did designate Good Friday a government holiday, which courts ruled was “primarily proposed to increase the frequency of legal holidays.”

No such rationale here.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Hawaii passes “Islam Day” law
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:05:06 AM »
Now here IS a perfectl example of what the 3rd Amendment clearly prohibits! 

Will it be challenged?  My gues is probably not.

Will it be struck down if challenged?  Once again, I think not! >:(

All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »
Now here IS a perfectl example of what the 3rd Amendment clearly prohibits! 

Will it be challenged?  My gues is probably not.

Will it be struck down if challenged?  Once again, I think not! >:(
I think you mean the 1st ammendment's prohibition on an "establishment of religion". The 3rd prohibits the quartering of troops in private homes.
FQ13

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »
I think you mean the 1st ammendment's prohibition on an "establishment of religion". The 3rd prohibits the quartering of troops in private homes.
FQ13

You are correct.  I was looking at the original, proposed "Articles".
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
Article 
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Article [II]
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Article [III]
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Article [IV]
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

sorry Haz, gotta rub it in  ;D
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:20:06 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
You are correct.  I was looking at the original, proposed "Articles".
No worries, I teach this for a living and its still an even money bet if I remember what the 7th does if you give a pop quiz.
FQ13

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:11:35 AM »
sorry Haz, gotta rub it in  ;D

BUT as usual young padawan, you are incorrect.

Article the third [Amendment I]

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

http://www.constitution.org/billofr_.htm#04

tombogan03884

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »
FQ13

Don't interupt the Cat ... Just like Bluto "He's on a roll."   ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk