Author Topic: SR556  (Read 30962 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SR556
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
I'm just afraid that the trigger pull will be about 20 pounds like my GP100 felt.  I loved the GP100 but I could not keep it on target with a double action pull.  Put a lot of holes in the upper right quadrent until I took it to a good smith who lightened and smooth the trigger.

For me to spend 2k on a rifle it had better darn well be national match quality and give me 1 moa at the least.

If I am going to spend $2,000 on an AR, I'll go buy TWO Stag ARs!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »
Bane Ruger video here:
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/?page_id=6

Unauthorized version here:
I was standing at Ruger's booth when Michael Bane showed up to film. Captured the event on my FlipCam....and here it is for your readers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNmIlSdM3hw
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1123
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2009, 07:57:14 PM »
I'd rather have the rifle Para USA has with a folding stock.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »
..............What I think would sell even better is a .308 battle rifle.  ...........
Ruger are you listening?

Yeah.  .308.

Also...an SR9 that didn't have a 10lb trigger...or a trigger upgrade you could buy to get to the 4-7 lb range.

Although I must say I am pleasantly surprised with the LCR, which I own.  My SR9...gave that to someone with hopes of a real trigger some day so I can buy another one or two and make it my carry weapon...
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2009, 08:14:15 PM »
Yeah.  .308.

Also...an SR9 that didn't have a 10lb trigger...or a trigger upgrade you could buy to get to the 4-7 lb range.

If you're charging me 2K for a rifle, it damn well better not need upgrades.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 09:39:34 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1123
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2009, 08:16:13 PM »
For $2K it should come with a bayonet lug and and bayonet.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
The one thing I noticed here that most have overlooked is the ammunition question. Assuming that I would want to spend $2K for this rifle, where will I get the ammo to shoot it? As of this date, ammo is still scarce and a purchase of this rifle would be nothing more than buying a $2K club.

And this next comment touches Para too:
The AR market is extremely crowded right now. I do not see the rationale to get into this market with nothing more than a "me too" product.

The AR market reminds me of the SUV market in the early to middle part of this decade. In business school I learned that one of the signs that a market is saturated is when manufacturers that normally produce luxury goods of type X, start producing luxury goods of type Y, though type Y is produced by everyone and their kid brother. And we know what happened to the SUV market when gas prices started rising past $2.75 per gallon.....

We are seeing the peak of the AR market and that means consolidation and lower prices may not be too far off in the future.....

Ruger could have wowed me with the best AK 47 ever produced, but that title is owned by Valmet of Finland......

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2009, 08:29:37 PM »
But it comes with 3 mags.

Now it doesn't seem overpriced at all. ::)
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »
Well said on every point, but I'll tell you why Ruger is doing this. Colt's contrct with the military is coming up to expire. They want to get it. The same way they were hoping to get the military to adopt the mni as a carbine (which would have been easier if it took the @$#$ AR mags). The problem is that the army is starting to reconsider .556 and looking at a heavier caliber. Ruger is saying "Me too, and mine is better". Maybe. But now would have been the time to innovate and come up with something new and shiny in say .308.
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1064
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2009, 08:38:33 PM »
The one thing I noticed here that most have overlooked is the ammunition question. Assuming that I would want to spend $2K for this rifle, where will I get the ammo to shoot it? As of this date, ammo is still scarce and a purchase of this rifle would be nothing more than buying a $2K club.

And this next comment touches Para too:
The AR market is extremely crowded right now. I do not see the rationale to get into this market with nothing more than a "me too" product.

The AR market reminds me of the SUV market in the early to middle part of this decade. In business school I learned that one of the signs that a market is saturated is when manufacturers that normally produce luxury goods of type X, start producing luxury goods of type Y, though type Y is produced by everyone and their kid brother. And we know what happened to the SUV market when gas prices started rising past $2.75 per gallon.....

We are seeing the peak of the AR market and that means consolidation and lower prices may not be too far off in the future.....

Ruger could have wowed me with the best AK 47 ever produced, but that title is owned by Valmet of Finland......

Like a bolt of lightning from a clear blue sky.....comes a voice with reasoning.............  +1

Like paying $2000 for a brand new bowl ............ while ice cream still costs to much to eat.

***edit***
that's why I don't have any other brand of AR now also.

Now as others have mentioned, since they already make a Mini-30, why not make one in .308....but the ammo thing still applies if the price is too high.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk