Author Topic: Tactical Coach Gun  (Read 29925 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tactical Coach Gun
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 05:11:14 PM »
I disagree with choke tubes for a close range tactical shot gun. (For anything else I am all in favor). But for civilian SD we want a decent spread of buck at sub 20 yards. Cylinder is the way to go. It will also fire slugs.  If you want tighter groups, counter intuitively, low recoil ammo patterns much tighter than regular buck at the same distance. Go to www.theboxotruth.com there are two articles on buck, one standard the other on low recoil, the results are surprising.
FQ13

Badgersmilk

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 05:41:24 PM »
Why I do like choke tubes:

The one in the gun (my 870 Express Super Magnum 12ga.) is a Cylinder choke "Tactical Breacher".  Say "Bye, Bye" to that door lock / hinges!
The two in the middle are labled
The one on the bottom is a "Jelly Head" Super Full choke

One gun, and a baggy full of little tubes does it all!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »
Why I do like choke tubes:

The one in the gun (my 870 Magnum Express) is a Cylinder choke "Tactical Breacher".  Say bye, bye to that door lock!
The two in the middle are labled
The one on the bottom is a "Jelly Head" Super Full choke

One gun, and a baggy full of little tubes does it all!
Does a cylinder tube shoot slugs ok? Thats my predjudice against them. I always beleived that you would lose accuracy from a cylinder choke vs a straight cylinder bore. If I'm wrong, I will be glad to hear it.
FQ13

Badgersmilk

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »
I'm sure there's a big differance with which slug you use, but last time my dad and I went shooting I had this gun with me (we used a sheet of cardboard proped up in an open field with a home made bench to shoot from).  I got stupid lucky on my first shot & punched out the bulls eye at 78 yards (dont ask about the range, I didnt set it up).  After that I said.  "Guess mines all set!!"  And refused to shoot anymore...  Guess why... ;D  

Saboted Remington 2 3/4" slug.  I had the Improved Cylinder choke in.

I kept telling him. "Once the bulls eye was gone that target was no good to me anymore!"   ;D ;D ;D

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
Badger,

I was specifically talking about chokes on a coach gun.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:36:03 AM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »
Several questions here.

1) I like screw in chokes and even the old poly choke, ( never seen one on a SXS ) for the versatility.

2) When We talk about accuracy with slugs, or shot, a shotgun is like a .22lr, you just don't know what its gonna like, maybe wally world 1 oz wnchester, maybe remington green label premium.  Slugs are the same, try several and see what it likes, and more importantly, find out if its pretty close to point of aim. I have been surprised by slugs, out to 50 yards, all of my shotguns shoot them close enough for wet work, with a bead sight. A deers brisket or a bad guys sternum are just the right size for them.

3) I have a bunch of the reduced recoil TAP 12ga. but have not patterned them yet. I have heard and read good things.

4) FQ, I used to subscribe to the good spread theory, until I went to a LE shotgun class,  where my perception got changed was head shots with buck shot, and more importantly, head shots with no shoots = hostage situation. Our instructor was a very good shot with pistol and shotgun, and opened my eyes. I would have never tried a head shot with a No shoot close by, until he demonstrated several types of ammo, 1st on a 18" x 24" gong, at 18 yards, which he explained was the maximum yardage a 9 pellet 00 buck, would keep all shots on the target from a cylinder bore shotgun. His favorite was WW 9 pellet 00, 2 3/4" and demonstrated it against remington and federal.  funny thing is he did not bring a shotgun, he used the students, duty gear, and the ww did print 4-5" groups with no flyers, the others would cluster but have flyers several inches from the cluster, just 1 or 2 pellets, but enough. He then set the standard IPSC targets made of steel up and placed the head portions adjacent to each other, and proceeded to make head shots without hitting the no shoot, He would hold off and cut half the head off the shoot target. I said wow, and learned how to do it. When I run shotgun matches I run this drill but closer 10-12 yards, as we use birdshot, it is an eye opener for most people, they suck at 1st but then get the hang and have a new skill set.  I do want to try some of the TAP 12 and see what happens in my cylinder bore gun, that is next to the bed.

Last: and I know you guys are ready, shotgun chokes are nowhere near an exact science, the stated choke is a percentage of reduction to the inside diameter based on the actual bore size behind it, this varies quite a bit not only from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the same model from 1 manufacturer,
any of you who have screw in choke guns, clean the barrel well and the look from the chamber end and with a good light source, and don't be surprised if the bore is not concentric to the choke, you very may well see a slight lip of the choke peeking out. Usually does not hurt anything. Production barrels are not turned or threaded on a lathe, forged, cast and then threaded with a tap. I think this is the difference with a high end gun, not SD guns, but sporting clays, skeet and trap, some gunsmith, factory or otherwise performs excellent quality control with the machining, and assembly, then takes the gun and patterns it, and tweeks it until you have the tightest predictable pattern at a given yardage for the specific purpose of the individual.

Now Hans Vang does this, for production barrels and I have shot some, nice work you can count on.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 12:20:17 AM »
I'm a little late on the thread but..........................TACTICAL COACH GUN my hiney.

It sounded too goofy to open the thread. Didn't think that they were actually serious. A coach gun is a coach gun and will never be tactical. It's two short barrels of up close OH S&^%$it.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Badgersmilk

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »
Remeber Mad Max's double barrel...  If your really using it in "coach gun" fashion (nothing beyond stun gun range).  I think Max's gun was perfect.  I would maintain the only use for tubes in a coach gun might be something like the Rem "Tactical" tube.  That way if you bury the barrels in a guys chest and pull the trigger, or the barrels get pressed up against anything else for that matter before being fired, no worry about something going POP in the gun because gases that couldnt escape.

I can vouch for the "Tactical" tube being sharp enough that if you jabbed it into a guys gut its going to keep moving until it hits a bone or comes out the other side...  Bayonet style action.  And one BIG OWWWEEEEE hole that isnt going to stop bleeding!  Also useful if you were out of ammo, or had some kind of jam.  Imagin the damage from two of these side by side rammed through a gut!  Yesterdays lunch will be laying on the floor!

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »
Remember Mad Max's double barrel...
Very, very cool. Pistol grip, leg holster, super short and the perfect up close and personal "coach gun". Why Badgersmilk, a Mad Max reference.........from you. I wasn't sure if you had ever heard of the Mad Max movies. ;D

That's what a coach gun was all about....up close, serious damage.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »
When I was a kid my cousin (back in a coal mining town in PA) had a 20 guage cit down and looked just like an old black powder pistol.  I bet if ya mounted a BS lockset on it you could get away with it hanging on yer wall.  ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk