Author Topic: Now thats a squib load!  (Read 9457 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Now thats a squib load!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »
I was thinking maybe an end mill on a Bridgeport...maybe not!

That was my first thought, but when I looked at it THAT time the end cuts didn't look square, but it definitly looks like a milling burr at the muzzle end.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »
must have bee no  powder in those rounds.  if there had been it would have bluged the barrel.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:33:37 PM »
Every time I see this thread come up I keep thinking it's about Squibby. 8)
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 10:38:26 PM »
Lucky and inattentive, it does look like the initial cut was done on a mill, and then a belt sander, the deep cuts are fairly straight, but the grain is all one directional instead of circular, and some of the edges are slightly rounded + the burr.

Had this happen to myself, shooting light .38 loads in a plate match, a really fast stage with big targets, 18x24, up close, probably 5 shots in 2 seconds to 2.5 seconds, from the holster, had a squib, but the booger hook was on the bang switch going for the gold, 3rd target no hit, 4th target 2 hits. It did bulge the barrel right in the forcing cone area, the old 686 shoots just as good as it ever did, you can only tell when you run a cleaning brush down her, it gets real easy for a 1/4". No RO would have been fast enough in this instance, .15 second splits. Like M58 said.

Last summer, the match director for the steel match, called me out and asked if I could help on a stuck 1911. We went to our tool shed, which is not bad, and there was a shooter with a Kimber that the slide would not operate, and the mention of squibs came out, it took me 20 MINUTES TO GET THIS APART. I had to use a vise and lube to get the barrel bushing out, after that I worked the barrel back and forth, and finally was able to remove the barrel, it looked like a reamer, it split at every groove, and was bulged big time, there were 2 bullets stuck, a squib sent one far enough to get the bullet out of the way of the next round, but the RO did not stop him, and he chambered the next in a clearance drill, and I expect the next was an underload as well, as it did not blow the grips off, but definitely locked up the pistol. I do need a pic as once it was apart, it was damn near comical.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 10:38:56 PM »
Every time I see this thread come up I keep thinking it's about Squibby. 8)

I keep HOPING!  (with pictures! ;) )
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:37:42 PM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 06:25:41 AM »
I keep HOPING!  (with pictures! ;) )

You're no kitty, you horn-dog!   ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1123
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 07:20:05 PM »
I had a squib in my Jennings .22 and fired another round and it bulged the barrel halfway down. I was using Federal Lightning ammo and I wrote Federal a letter and they had me send the gun in. They gave me a check and I bought another pistol with the next consecutive serial number from the same dealer. I think they even sent me 2 boxes of good ammo. That was the only squib I ever had and I think I would have noticed if it was anything more powerful than a .22.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 08:00:06 PM »
I squibbed a new Sig556 and cracked the barrel at the crown early last year. The suppressor kept it all together.

Sig replaced it for $100.00. Not Warranty by any means. Point being, the shot was different, the recoil was different, and I didn't check before firing another round.

After several rounds in these photos it would be hard to NOT notice something funny.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Swamp Yankee

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »
I am no expert by any means but the barrel looks to have a slight bulge between the last two rounds. I almost had this happen with my 1911 but it did not feel right so I stopped firing and took it apart to find a round stuck in the barrel. It made me pay more attention to my reloads. Now I tripple check before I seat a bullet.

Mike Mc
NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:27:24 PM »
Makes my hair stand on end looking at five rounds in a barrel. Really shocked that no one was injured.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk