Author Topic: When machinest, were machinest... not computer programers  (Read 5176 times)

tombogan03884

Re: When machinest, were machinest... not computer programers
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »
 The best mix would be "Old School" machinists with new CNC equipment, and materials  ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
when it comes to machine tools, its the same as every thing else...

there is no replacment for displacment.

more mass= less vibrations= more accuracy.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »
when it comes to machine tools, its the same as every thing else...

there is no replacment for displacment.

more mass= less vibrations= more accuracy.

That goes for the floor you mount them on as well. I was running an Amada CNC Punch Press in a shop that installed a Laser  cutting machine, they had a 2 ft thick slab poured right next to my machine, They almost fired the Laser Operator because he could not hold a tolerance. Then they put it on a 4 foot thick slab on the other side of the shop from my pounding machine and had no more problems  ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »
true.  I recently did a remodel at a print shop, the floor where the shear was instaled is 3' thick of 5000 psi mix.  yet every time it strikes, it still shakes the building. (60x120  tilt up)  under the press its 7' thick.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 05:09:18 PM »

That goes for the floor you mount them on as well. I was running an Amada CNC Punch Press in a shop that installed a Laser  cutting machine, they had a 2 ft thick slab poured right next to my machine, They almost fired the Laser Operator because he could not hold a tolerance. Then they put it on a 4 foot thick slab on the other side of the shop from my pounding machine and had no more problems  ;D

Been there, done that.....we have to cut a huge hole in the floor for our new machine.  Just needs to be isolated though, spec only calls for 10" thick, 5000 psi slab, no seams and 2 rebar levels.  Funny, I was just reviewing the installation spec today.  It is on the far side of the shop though.  We have no large turret presses, just the press brakes and they don't shake the building like an Amada is prone too do...Which model were you working with Tom?

My last shop had two turret presses and four 275 Ton Amada press brakes as well as two high power lasers.  The whole building shook when were full tilt boogie....!

P.S.  I convinced management to buy American made Cincinnati lasers and two press brakes.  For what it's worth, they were the right price and their service is second to none, IMO...

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:27:23 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
 Amada, Pega, Coma, and King models, also ran an Octo for a company that made gun cases. I've never run the Lasers, but I liked the Cincinnati milling centers I ran, T/C had a couple. All the Cincy press brakes I ran were mechanical, with the big fly wheel, of the CNC models I ran I preferred the Trumpf over the Amada as the controller was more user friendly. Of the Milling centers, Haas sucked the worst, great machine, controller SUCKS. Simplest was Matsuura, but I liked Robo Drill as well.

Timothy

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »
Amada, Pega, Coma, and King models, also ran an Octo for a company that made gun cases. I've never run the Lasers, but I liked the Cincinnati milling centers I ran, T/C had a couple. All the Cincy press brakes I ran were mechanical, with the big fly wheel, of the CNC models I ran I preferred the Trumpf over the Amada as the controller was more user friendly. Of the Milling centers, Haas sucked the worst, great machine, controller SUCKS. Simplest was Matsuura, but I liked Robo Drill as well.

I'm familiar with the Coma, I've programed for an older model for 10 years, still used the paper tapes for numerical control.  It was something you could make a mess of if you weren't carefull with the programs.  This is my first exprerience with the Cincy brakes but I'm not responsible for the brakes, only the laser install, maintenance, service scheduling and back up operator.  We have a small Haas mill and hopes for a few more but business has gotta get better before the beancounters cough another million bucks in capital money.  We did look at the Trumpf laser and press brakes but those guys are really proud of their stuff, clearly 30% more for a similar machine to the Cincys...  They make at least two of their new lasers and several turret presses in Hartford now.  Even their resonators are made in Harford...I went down their last fall and got the nickel tour AND and overpriced lunch...very impressive facility.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »
The best mix would be "Old School" machinists with new CNC equipment, and materials  ;D

I'll agree with that 100%.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »
I'm familiar with the Coma, I've programed for an older model for 10 years, still used the paper tapes for numerical control.  It was something you could make a mess of if you weren't carefull with the programs.  This is my first exprerience with the Cincy brakes but I'm not responsible for the brakes, only the laser install, maintenance, service scheduling and back up operator.  We have a small Haas mill and hopes for a few more but business has gotta get better before the beancounters cough another million bucks in capital money.  We did look at the Trumpf laser and press brakes but those guys are really proud of their stuff, clearly 30% more for a similar machine to the Cincys...  They make at least two of their new lasers and several turret presses in Hartford now.  Even their resonators are made in Harford...I went down their last fall and got the nickel tour AND and overpriced lunch...very impressive facility.

WOW, I haven't seen anyone use Tapes since Thompson Center back in the mid 80's  ;D

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »
My Old Man used to work in places like that   back when he was a Tool Maker

I have sent him the link to have a look at

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk