Author Topic: Barrel Harmonics Question RE: Accuracy & Accessories.  (Read 22262 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Barrel Harmonics Question RE: Accuracy & Accessories.
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
Something mentioned early in this thread was tensioned barrels, which I have seen but not shot except for a 10/22 barrel from a custom manufacturer, and that barrel did shoot very well compared to a factory 10/22, and unbelievably light. These are barrels that use a carbon fiber sleeve, over a really thin barrel, and a gland nut at the end, when tightened, pulls the actual barrel in 2 directions, ( guess which ) and that dampens frequency and amplitude, light weight and accurate, but they were too expensive for me to try, but I wish I had a buddy with one to try out, those hunting rifles were in the 5.5 - 6 lb range with 24" - 26" length. Dan Wesson used this technique and were known for their accuracy, and now S&W is using it on a few models.

I have had some oldtimers describe a Freeland product used on position target rifles in the old days, that does make sense. 1st the fore end has some metal ferules installed, that are threaded, placed at 45 degrees to each other near the far end of the forestock, into which you have threaded brass screws that are screwed in until they just touch the freefloated barrel. You had adjustable tension on the unsupported portion of the barrel and could play with it a little, just like using business cards to shim a hunting barrel, if your light weight don't want to shoot. A lot of times that shim will tighten things up, if it does We will usually glass bed the last 1 inch of the stock, to put just a little pressure on the barrel at that point, once again changing the harmonics. Free floating usually works the best, but some rifles like a little pressure.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Badgersmilk

Re: Barrel Harmonics Question RE: Accuracy & Accessories.
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
Magnum Research.  As fine a .22 as man will ever know!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk