Author Topic: EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks  (Read 27086 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »
OK...any of you guys out there think about what we are going to do if there is an EMP event and how we are going to get into our "big steel box" with the electronic lock on it?  No electricity for the drill to get in, no car to drag it till it breaks (bad for the guns anyway), no phone to call the safe company for help......

Hmmm?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

Re: EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »
I don't have the answer, just another question.

Don't these safes have an alternate method of opening them and if they don't, why don't they?

Seems an EMP event is pretty unlikely but personally, I wouldn't buy a safe I couldn't open under extreme conditions such as a loss of power or the circuit getting fried.

Tin foil the whole house I guess! ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:23:25 AM »
No tinfoil required. Here in hurricane country, being without power for two weeks is not unheard of. Why would I want something where I can't get to my survival tools in the most likely survival situation? Its like electronic windows on the truck, great for driving, less fun if you put it in a canal.
FQ13

Badgersmilk

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »
Ewwwwww.  A puzzler!  Good one!

My safe has a key lock, but its a great question!  Still trying to think of the best answer...

As far as possibility of it happening.  Anybody NOT heard that North Korea is setting up ICBM's specificly to reach us?  EMP will effect a MUCH larger area than the blast zone when a nuke is detonated...

Even OLD vehicles with point type ignitions are gonners depending on strength of the signal.  EMP can cook the coil, alternator, and even the starter.

Where's my armadillo hat!?!? 

Badgersmilk

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:43:39 AM »
Lets try this one:  

Even if said safe were plugged into 120VAC for power I think they use batteries for the computers in the locks.  At the vey least the 120VAC would be cut back to low voltage DC just like the computer your looking at right now to operate anything other than the safes dehumidifier & lights.  The solenoids that actually pull back the locking bars are going to be operated by 12VDC or less (UL would never allow AC current to be used in a home safe for this).  I've yet to see the keypad that couldnt be smashed with a hammer and chisel, or hacksaw.  Once inside the keypad you only have to trace the wires going out to the solenoids (very easy to locate), touch a 9 volt battery to the leads, and walla!  Open sesame!

If one 9 volt doesnt have enough juice (my bet is it would be enough), use two in series!

Locks only exist to keep honest people honest.  A dishonest, or determined person given enough time WILL defeat any lock.  If a human mind created it, a human mind can defeat it.

Batteries rely on internal chemical reaction -  Not effected by EMP.  You just wont be plugging anything in to recharge them once they go dead is the threat to them.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:42:26 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »
Which pretty much makes the 3K you spent on that safe worth the $15 dollars it costs to buy a hammer, chisel, some wire cutters and a 9 volt battery. Does it make me old to say I REALLY like analog and mechanical devices?
FQ13

david86440

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »
I know EMP works really well stimulating bone growth.  :)

All kidding aside, I have lots of reasons not to buy a safe with built-in electronics and really don't need to think about an EMP event to sway my opinion.

Think of any electronic item and how long it lasts compared to a lets say a mechanical combination lock. I'll place my bet on mechanical over electronic any day.

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »
I know EMP works really well stimulating bone growth.  :)

All kidding aside, I have lots of reasons not to buy a safe with built-in electronics and really don't need to think about an EMP event to sway my opinion.

Think of any electronic item and how long it lasts compared to a lets say a mechanical combination lock. I'll place my bet on mechanical over electronic any day.

Yes sir, electronics just start adding hundreds of points of failure onto any device they're attached to.  Add as tech dependent as I am, I'd use something electronic without having some sort of redundancy, don't use GPS without a map and compass, don't use electric lantern with out having a propane backup in the truck.  Electronics are just looking for a reason to crap out on you.  Being completely immersed in the tech world, recently in the past two years I've been having some kind of tech backlash.  I'll use it for work, but I won't buy tech stuff to fill my free time.  I love pen, pencil, and paper now as opposed to the computer for art, and tabletop wargaming rather than videogames, even though I still play them on occasion.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
Yep! I can't even change the water pump on my F150. Only the third non-scheduled (meaning a part hadn't oulived its shelf life) failure I've had in 10 years on this vehicle, because its wired into the the chips that let me know when the truck is over heating. Granted, if I knew what I was doing, it would be zero problem, but the days of getting out a socket wrench and just fixing the damn thing seem to be over. Hooray for simple mechanical parts. Damn few left.
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »
Like Badger, mine has a keyed lock in conjunction with the battery powered lock.
And, like he pointed out, it may be possible to jump out the circuit if it ain't fried.......used to do it all the time at work with interlock solenoids.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk