Author Topic: Pronunciation  (Read 11600 times)

bbbean

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pronunciation
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:57:23 PM »
Hey, Michael!

A guy who grew up in Memphis should know that "New Madrid" is pronounced Nyoo MAD(rhymes with sad)-rid. I have no idea where this New Modrid fault you talked about might be.

BBB (who lives in scenic New Madrid County, right on top of the New Madrid Fault)
--
Barry Bean
Fastest of the slow shooters, best of the bad shots

tombogan03884

Re: Pronunciation
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »
Hey, Michael!

A guy who grew up in Memphis should know that "New Madrid" is pronounced Nyoo MAD(rhymes with sad)-rid. I have no idea where this New Modrid fault you talked about might be.

BBB (who lives in scenic New Madrid County, right on top of the New Madrid Fault)

Enjoy, the last time it REALLY let go it rang Church bells in Boston and made the Mississippi river run backwards.

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/PAO/history/MISSRNAV/steamboat.asp
Invention of the steamboat in the early nineteen century brought about a revolution in river commerce.The first steamboat to travel the Mississippi was the New Orleans. Built in Pittsburgh in 1811 at the cost of $40,000, she was a side-wheeler 116 feet long and 371 tons. She was taken to New Orleans by Nicholas Roosevelt, a relative of the presidents. On her maiden voyage, the New Orleans was caught in a series of tremors known as the "New Madrid Earthquake," probably the worst nonvolcanic earth shock in American history. Nevertheless, she continued his downriver on a nightmarish trip to become the first steamboat to travel the Mississippi, arriving in New Orleans Jan. 12, 1812. She was then placed trip in service between New Orleans and Natchez. Two years later she hit a stump and sank.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »
Hey, Michael!

I was in St. Louis during one quake, judo class in college. I sat on the mat going left as the far wall of the building was going right. Weird.

Freaked one of my roommates out - he's from NJ and was asleep at the time with his girlfriend - so being the kind, gentle, sensitive souls we were (not) we would sneak periodically into his room, shake his bed, yell "Earthquake!!!!!!!!!!!" and then run like sissies. Seems he had a temper . . .

Not as bad as the early 1800's but bad enough for this boy.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:47:27 AM »
You shouldn't get too upset over pronunciation of different words.

Take for instance the word, pecan. I hear a lot of people say pee-can. Yes it grates me but that is their way of saying it. To me, it is pa-con.

My town is actually known as the "Pecan Capital of Texas". At the courthouse, we have the worlds largest pecan, even though it is fake (being something like 9 feet in diameter and 5 feet long one might only assume it is fake).

What it boils down to is this; let it slide. You say something differently then others and they may be offended. If you don't let it go when others say the wrong thing, don't expect them to forgive you.

Of course I am sure you are only trying to rib MB over it which is totally cool to me. Jokes between friends are the best kind.  While jokes at the others expense are even better. ;D
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:39:34 AM »
Where did the New Madrid fault come up? We shake all the time here in CA. My geology professor used to remind us that it was good to let some pressure off now and again and would always refer to the New Madrid as where the real "big one" would hit. He would bring up that it had the largest recorded earthquake in the continental US and that we don't see much let off. He said they found some pretty big faults in New York City, when they were building the subways. All we can do is prepare. At least we don't get tornados.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:40:59 AM »

BAC

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 05:34:05 AM »
Where did the New Madrid fault come up? We shake all the time here in CA. My geology professor used to remind us that it was good to let some pressure off now and again and would always refer to the New Madrid as where the real "big one" would hit. He would bring up that it had the largest recorded earthquake in the continental US and that we don't see much let off. He said they found some pretty big faults in New York City, when they were building the subways. All we can do is prepare. At least we don't get tornados.

"At least we don't get tornados."  That's the nicest thing I've heard anyone say about Kalifornia in a long time.  Maybe it should be the state's motto?   ;)

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »
"At least we don't get tornados."  That's the nicest thing I've heard anyone say about Kalifornia in a long time.  Maybe it should be the state's motto?   ;)

Tornados Vs Pelosi, Boxer, and Fienstien.  ??? Hard choice, I stick with nice quiet blizzards up here.  ;D

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »
Tornados Vs Pelosi, Boxer, and Fienstien.  ??? Hard choice, I stick with nice quiet blizzards up here.  ;D

Hell, I'll even take the assclowns on Beacon Hill over THAT trio of hermaphrodites!  And you left out Maxine!

>:(

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »

They should be names of hurricanes.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »

Tornados Vs Pelosi, Boxer, and Fienstien??? Hard choice, I stick with nice quiet blizzards up here.  ;D

My ancient Greek is kinda rusty, but I do believe those were the names of the Harpies.    8)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk