Author Topic: A little news on a coming AR glut....  (Read 9684 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A little news on a coming AR glut....
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 08:00:20 PM »
Rock River Arms manufactures the LAR-8, a .308 caliber AR style rifle.  It accepts FAL (metric) or L1A1 (inch) magazines.  I have heard, but not confirmed, that RRA bought the basic design of this rifle from another manufaturer and tweeked it until they got it right and reliable.  There is quite a wait for them.  I have a LEO friend that has had one on order for quite some time.  When ordered he was told probably better than a year and he was given priority over some others.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 869
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 11:30:18 PM »
I think that the biggest economic hit in this rebound market will be the gun shops that either stocked up or ordered at higher prices.  Those that have the finances will be able to "buy high and sell low" to minimize losses, but those living close will need the higher price to come out and could be done over it.

I think that manufacturers will do some restructuring, but right now they have done most of their increase with overtime work.  So, while there may be some layoffs, most correction will probably come in terms of return to normal work hours ... something that many workers will be ready for after many months of long days and weeks.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »
An update from today's gun show:

Plenty of ARs on sale! I saw several complete units for around $900. And plenty of dealers willing to deal on new handguns too..

On Ammo:
Georgia Arms was there and had plenty of the popular calibers except .45 ACP (limited to 100 rds/person) and .380 (none). I asked them if their supplies are stabilizing and they said it is still sketchy....And for the bellwether, WalMart, had no ammo....The .45 ACP (230 gr.) was selling at the gun show for $17.99 for 50 rounds.....A local dealer has received a big shipment of ammo in the recent days and is selling .45 ACP ball ammo for $349 a case and this is Blazer Brass ammo too....At least in my neck of the woods, things might be bottoming out in terms of supply for ammo...we'll see....

And for a completely unsubstantiated report (if the news media can do it, so can I):
I was told by a dealer, to whom I give some credence, the FBI is converting the rest of its force over to .40 cal. With all of this in mind, the feds have decided to purchase $330 million dollars worth of .40 ammo over the next few years. The impact is expected to 70 percent of the capacity of manufacturers who make this ammo.....Hmmm.....I think if any shoot .40 cal they might want to start stocking up if they haven't been doing it already.......

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »
An update from today's gun show:

Plenty of ARs on sale! I saw several complete units for around $900. And plenty of dealers willing to deal on new handguns too..

On Ammo:
Georgia Arms was there and had plenty of the popular calibers except .45 ACP (limited to 100 rds/person) and .380 (none). I asked them if their supplies are stabilizing and they said it is still sketchy....And for the bellwether, WalMart, had no ammo....The .45 ACP (230 gr.) was selling at the gun show for $17.99 for 50 rounds.....A local dealer has received a big shipment of ammo in the recent days and is selling .45 ACP ball ammo for $349 a case and this is Blazer Brass ammo too....At least in my neck of the woods, things might be bottoming out in terms of supply for ammo...we'll see....

And for a completely unsubstantiated report (if the news media can do it, so can I):
I was told by a dealer, to whom I give some credence, the FBI is converting the rest of its force over to .40 cal. With all of this in mind, the feds have decided to purchase $330 million dollars worth of .40 ammo over the next few years. The impact is expected to 70 percent of the capacity of manufacturers who make this ammo.....Hmmm.....I think if any shoot .40 cal they might want to start stocking up if they haven't been doing it already.......

The FBI is giving up on 10mm?
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »

The FBI is giving up on 10mm?

Not sure about 10mm, but they are leaving the 9mm for .40 cal.....I think .40 cal is the default cartridge for most LE agencies today anyway.....

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:06:25 AM »

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »
And one more thing from today's gun show report:
Reloading supplies are available, and small pistol primers continue to be hot items....So I got some small rifle primers instead.....

Lmccrock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 04:48:44 PM »
Rock River Arms manufactures the LAR-8, a .308 caliber AR style rifle.  It accepts FAL (metric) or L1A1 (inch) magazines.  I have heard, but not confirmed, that RRA bought the basic design of this rifle from another manufaturer and tweeked it until they got it right and reliable.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread - a little behind in my reading. The LAR-8 is an improved Bushmaster, which was licensed from RRA in the first place. I believe it was about 3 years from announcement to shipping, and they are very backlogged. The popular makers are still very backlogged for all models. What is showing up was ordered way back.

Lee

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »
I believe it was about 3 years from announcement to shipping, and they are very backlogged. The popular makers are still very backlogged for all models. What is showing up was ordered way back.
Lee

Understood....What I saw today was plenty of supply and not alot of demand....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk