Author Topic: AR-15 Lower - which one?  (Read 10214 times)

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR-15 Lower - which one?
« on: October 13, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »
My son is looking for an AR-15 Lower. Is one better than another? Here is a list, are there others? These range in price from $210 - $280 with an A2 stock.

Armalite Eagle
Bushmaster
CMMG
DPMS
Rock River Arms
Double Star 
Stag Arms 
High Standard

Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

mnshooter

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: AR-15 Lower - which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:48:49 PM »
I've built a couple dozen on DPMS and had only one (their no longer made cast receivers) with a tight mag well which they replaced no questions asked.  The quality of most receivers is more than adequate for any typical AR build.  You will pay more for some of the names, but will probably get much of it back if you sell it -a bushmaster stripped will sell for nearly twice that of the DPMS, but if there is any difference in quality I haven't found it.  If you want to build a "best possible" rifle, you could look into the matched uppers and lowers offered by Rock River, Les Baer and others.  They will have the least possible or even no play between upper and lower; but consider that much testing by match shooters shows no quantifiable increase in accuracy; it just feels better to not have any play.  When you get it, look for clean sharp markings and attention to removal of forge lines along the rear curve and inside the trigger guard.  Slip some magazines in and out of the mag well; they should fit without much play, but drop out freely. If you have the upper, pin it on and see if the fit is acceptable.  There is some variation in finish quality and color between brands; check to see how well it matches your upper, unless you're going to give it a paint job; then you're better off with one of the basic phosphate-looking finishes instead of the teflon based versions.  AR-15.com can give you more information than you would probably ever need about all this and more.

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 05:45:49 AM »
I have a Bushmaster and a Double Star and am completely happy with both.
Life Member of the NRA

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »
You have listed a pretty good bunch there Don.

I will add that if you know which upper you are getting, get the same manufacturer lower as then the colors should match.  I know, black phosphate, but they do vary a little bit here and there.

They get out the Krylon.. :)

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
Built mine on a RRA lower; love it.  $115 stripped; ordered the parts kit from RRA directly.  Building it up yourself is half the fun.  (Shooting, obviously, is the other half.)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:24:31 PM »

ponyexpress

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »
Don,

I assume you're looking for an assembled lower?

From your list I would pick CMMG, Double Star or Stag Arms.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »
Built mine on a RRA lower; love it.  $115 stripped; ordered the parts kit from RRA directly.  Building it up yourself is half the fun.  (Shooting, obviously, is the other half.)

Must have been a while back - stripped lowers from RRA are now $155. Like everything else, the prices just keep going up.   >:(

One of these days I will have to try a DIY black general purpose, er, Patriot's, um, well, high-tech rifle.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »
I think I will go with Stag Arms. Why? My son said so. He has 2 uppers, so I'm buying two lowers.
Don Worsham

RBeach

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 06:32:23 PM »
I used Rock River on my first one.

When I was looking for my next one, I couldn't find Rock River anywhere.  I got a Stag lower from a company near me.  They were at a local gun show and I picked one up for about $100.

Del-Ton

http://www.del-ton.com/

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 06:16:23 PM »
I am now the proud owner of an AR-15. Put it together last night. Need to clean and lube then get out to the range this weekend.

My son and I ended up with DPMS lowers for our Colt uppers. Standard A2 20" rifle. Pictures later...maybe. I'm hoping to get it zeroed and enough rounds through it over the next two weekends so we can go up to Camp Perry on November 17 for the Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association second Annual Modified Record Fire Shoot (aka Snowflake Shoot) for the Friends of Camp Perry.

The match involves shooting at human size 3-D targets at distances ranging from 50 to 300 meters. The targets pop up from behind earthen mounds in a random (as far as the shooter is concerned) sequence. Shooters were presented with 40 target exposures of the seven targets for five seconds each.

This link is from last year... http://www.friendsofcampperry.org/112506PopupMatch.html

Mr. Bane, please put me back in the "he'll do" column now that I've joined the fraternity.
Don Worsham

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk