Author Topic: Savage 110 FCP-K .300 Win. Mag.  (Read 30029 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Savage 110 FCP-K .300 Win. Mag.
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:37:08 AM »

These are a few quick photos of my new Savage long range thumper. It's the new Model 110 FCP-K Heavy Barrel in .300 Winchester Magnum. I've been wanting to set up a long range .300 Win. Mag. for some time now, and almost went with a Remington 700 Police in that caliber, but then heard about this new Savage and decided to wait because I really liked the features that it has and the 700 Police didn't. First is the new Savage Accustock which has the Aluminum spine running the full length of the forend. It is really supposed to help in accuracy. Next is the brake which combined with the new super soft recoil pad which Savage calls the P.A.D. (Personal Anti recoil Device), along with the guns weight, (right around 9 pounds out of the box), should make for a really nice, soft shooting .300 Magnum.

The gun also has the Savage Accutrigger, which I also have on both of my Savage .308's. For me there isn't a better factory trigger out there. All and all I'm happy with the gun as it came from the box. Fit and finish appears to be good, and the action is very smooth. Now comes the task of scope selection. I haven't made up my mind yet, and considering that today it's supposed to hit 116 degrees in the shade, I've got plenty of time to make up my mind before the cool weather comes. I'm seriously thinking of going with another Bushnell 5-15X 3200 Elite Tactical. I have that scope on both of my Savage .308's, a Model 10-FP, and a Model 12-F/TR, and I've been very happy with the results.

For rings I'm for certain going with the excellent Burris Signature Zee Rings with the plastic inserts. Again, I have these rings on several rifles and the results have been nothing but good. With the Posi-Align Offset Insert Kit I can dial in any MOA tilt I want without the need for tapered bases. I'm excited about this gun because I don't think there has been a better long range performer than the .300 Winchester Magnum cartridge. With 190 and 200 grain Sierra Matchking's, along with healthy doses of IMR 4831 powder, you have to look long and hard for a better 1,000 yard rifle. Cost per shot in relation to performance is pretty hard to beat. I'll have it ready to go by Fall. Between this rifle, and the 3, M-1 Garands I have on order from the CMP, I'm going to be very busy putting a lot of lead downrange!  Bill T.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Savage 110 FCP-K .300 Win. Mag.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:54:41 AM »
Bill
I think I speak for everyone on this board when I say between the cool guns and the beautiful wife, I hate you. ;D Seriously though, that looks like a great rifle. I'd looked at .300 win mag as a sendero gun for long range shots on Tx. deer when I got dissatisfied with my 30-06 (problems with the rifle not the round). I decided to go with .270 as I didn't really think that long range hunting was my game. But looking at it tactically changes things. I would be very interested in hearing about range reports on the rifle,scope, mounts ammo etc. Congrats on the new toy. ;D
FQ13

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »
Nothin' like a Savage for accuracy out of the box!  I don't have the accustock but I have a 30-06 with the accutrigger.  love it!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Badgersmilk

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »
You lucky, lucky $)*)#!  NICE GUN!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
Nice rifle, Bill.

I wish I'd never got rid of my Savage '06 some years back. It was the most accurate rifle I had at the time, but I was able to sell it for a hundred bucks more than I paid for it, so........
Now I wish I had held on to it.

I really like Bushnell scopes. Great compromise between value and function. I would like to try a NightForce (my friend has a couple on his competition rifles), but don't have the scratch for the $1600 price tag.

Good luck, and we all anxiously await a thorough range report, when you finally get to wring it out.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:06:20 AM »

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »
Nothin' like a Savage for accuracy out of the box!  I don't have the accustock but I have a 30-06 with the accutrigger.  love it!
+1
I have a Savage 270 with the accutrigger. It was great the first time. I sighted it in at my buddy's house where he has a 100yd range.

I rested it and took three shots to sight it in and then four in the same hole at 100 yds. It shoots much better than I do. ;D

Congrats Bill.....The 300 Win Mag is awesome and I have read great things about the AccuStock and P.A.D.

Can't wait for the range report.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
You're really turning into a prick.........I mean nice rifle.

Yeah, that's it.....Nice rifle.

;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 01:13:55 PM »
Congrats Bill.....The 300 Win Mag is awesome and I have read great things about the AccuStock and P.A.D. Can't wait for the range report.

The P.A.D. is the absolute softest recoil pad I've ever seen or felt. It is even softer than the Kickezz pad on my wife's Beretta Trap Gun. It has a nice "grippy" surface. It's designed to spread out across your shoulder upon firing, increasing the surface area contact with your shoulder. I have no doubt it will be comfortable to shoot. It's nice to see these manufacturers getting away from these rock hard "pads" they've used for so many years.  Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 01:42:37 PM »
I'm still kicking around optic options. As I mentioned it's way too hot here to shoot, so I've got time to make a selection. My "dream scope" for this gun is the Leupold Mark IV 16X, 30 MM tube. This scope has an almost unbelievable 140 M.O.A. of elevation adjustment. With the .300 Winchester Magnum cartridge and 190 grain Sierra Matchking bullets this equates to being able to hold "dead on" at phenomenal ranges. The problem is even with my C&R discount from Midway, this scope runs right around $1,300.00 with shipping and insurance. The performance it delivers is well worth the cost. This is the same scope David Tubb uses in his video, "The One Mile Shot". He has it mounted on a custom 6.5 X .284.  Bill T.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:09:14 PM »
I really have a hard time thinking rings with plastic in them are the best choice...  Solid steel would SURELY be my coice.  Dont forget to consider temperature changes, as much as we try to treat these rifles with kids gloves, that scope WILL get a good bump sooner or later.  The worlds finest rifle isnt worth a squirt of pee if the optics arent rock solid reliable.  So Plastic? :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk