Author Topic: What is Preferred for Home Defense?  (Read 38418 times)

RGJOHNS

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What is Preferred for Home Defense?
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
Or you could always just shout "HEY, MR BAD GUY...I'M OVER HERE!".

Not trying to bust your balls, just pointing out another possible way of looking at that 'scary' sound idea.

the best enconter to have with mr bad guy is the one where he leaves because he dose not want to mess with you. if you entered someones home and heard the 12 gauge loading would you stay? or find and easyer target.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »
Hey, as I said I'm not trying to get into a pi$$ing contest with ya.  Just my belief that unloaded rifle is a expensive club.  (Not chambered is unloaded in my book).
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Kelly Neal

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »
You're not supposed to count yourself. :D

I already decided long ago that I'm calling you. 

Erik

Don't call me, I'm on the other team! 

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2008, 08:14:09 AM »
Exactly!

I want to know who you'd hate to have to go up against.  (Then I'd hire you as a Subject Matter Expert!)

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »
Just watched Robert Pincus of the Valhalla Shooting and Training Center DVD with the sheetrock/penetration demonstration.
He used everything, and the shotgun with #9 shot had the least amount of over penetrating walls in most homes. HOWEVER,
late at night, half awake, dark, etc,.. a shotgun is going to temporarily deafen you and may temp. blind you as well. This is true for a pistol, but a good revolver for someone, even if it's a 38 JHP, will be easier to handle, safer to move around with, and will not over penetrate. Just a thought.

Practice, Practice, Practice!
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 10:47:01 AM »

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »
Good point, Tom. But if you do use a shotgun, you are more likely to feel the thud of a really dead body hitting the floor. Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

specops72

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2008, 01:29:52 AM »
I Have to agree that the .45 cal is a fine choice for a HDW. All of the ballisticts charts that I have read and studied over the years, and wet phone books that I have shot through, I have came to this realization: The .45 auto CorBon 165grain JHP+P has 1250 fps and 573 ft lbs.The Phone book that I shot with the 165 grain JHP+P was shot out of my sig GSR 1911 @ 15 ft. Needless to say that with 2 rounds the phone book wouldn't be letting any more fingers do the walking "if you know what i mean! The exit holes of the two holes that were shot into the phone book you could fit a pretty good size grapefruit in them.I use the Cor Bon 165 and 185 JHP+P's for home and carry in all of my 1911's and my HK USP G21SF & G30. I've never had a jam,stovepipe or
misfire with this ammo. Hope this helps.

inthe10

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2008, 01:22:45 PM »
This might be a little off subject,  but my dog is first in my line of defence.  Not a big dog, but a very loud and alert one.  My dog is not a fighter however if someone touches my front gate or my door she goes off.  I have full confidence that my dog will know well before me (especially when sleeping) if there is something wrong in the house.  Alarms are great but they are not companions.  The 30 seconds that my dog so graciouly gives me is enough time to arm myself with what is available ( a 14 round Beretta .40 would be the closest).  Just a little praise to the one that gives me minutes when seconds are lifetimes. 
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

tombogan03884

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »
A Kibble powered alarm system that gives you company, as well as security, and  functions without electicity. What more can you ask for  ;D

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »
That it bites them in te crotch!
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk