Author Topic: What is Preferred for Home Defense?  (Read 38248 times)

noskilz

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is Preferred for Home Defense?
« on: October 30, 2007, 07:47:13 PM »
I'm fairly new to the world of firearms. But since I've been old enough to buy my own huntin' magazines (long before the Nobel Peace Prize Winner invented the internet), I've always read that a pump shotgun, loaded with anything from 00 buck to #4 birdshot, was the preferred weapon for home defense. Reliable, effective, easier to aim, needed less training than a hand gun (?), and less likely to hurt loved ones behind sheetrock. I'm not talking about the guarding of the homestead against marauders here. But the "Honey, I think I heard a window break downstairs" kind of home defense.

Now I've just heard - from someone I suspect as being very knowledgeable - that a tactical rifle with frangible ammo (I don't even know what that is) is the preferred home defense weapon. I'm looking for the right home defense long arm, and this seems to be the right place to get other qualified opinions. Can you folks enlighten me on why a tactical rifle, and with what kind of ammo, is preferred to a 12 or 20 gauge? Or is that just flat out wrong?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: What is Preferred for Home Defense?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:56:59 PM »
Home defense?  Get a good revolver (Ruger SP or anything reliable that will shoot 44 specials).  You NEVER forget or have to think about how to use it.

Contrary to popular belief I don't think a pump makes a good home defense gun.  Why you ask?  Well,  the old myth or "racking a round" and scaring the bad guy is BS.  If it ain't loaded it's a club.  Second the possibility of "short stroking" and jamming the weapon.

If ya want a shotgun for home defense get a coach gun (short double barrel).  Easy to use and if you need more than two, reload is easy.

1st choice though is a good revolver.  Can't jam and if you have a mis-fire just pull the trigger again.

BTW these are MY recommendations for the average Joe.  Now if you want to go to Front Sight or Thunder Ranch or some other school they may TEACH you other things.  BUT for vast majority I will stand by my choices.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

enidpd804

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »

Contrary to popular belief I don't think a pump makes a good home defense gun.  Why you ask?  Well,  the old myth or "racking a round" and scaring the bad guy is BS.  If it ain't loaded it's a club.  Second the possibility of "short stroking" and jamming the weapon.

BTW these are MY recommendations for the average Joe.  Now if you want to go to Front Sight or Thunder Ranch or some other school they may TEACH you other things.  BUT for vast majority I will stand by my choices.

+1.  Don't forget the "you don't have to aim with a shotgun" myth! 

In my experience, a good revolver is easier to handle with less training than a pump gun.  Unfortunately, most people won't/can't get high quality instruction. 

Also, it's pretty much impossible to find shotgun loads that will penetrate enough in people to be effective but not overpenetrate sheetrock.  There are, of course, a million variables...distance, barrel length, etc. 
Warren

noskilz

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:19:20 PM »
Well, I do have a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. It's a nice shootin' revolver, and I try to shoot at least twice a month at the range. But I was really surprised when I heard the guy on GunTalk very briefly recommend a tactical rifle over a shotgun for a home defense weapon. I was frankly shocked by that, and I wanted other opinions.

tumblebug

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:27:52 PM »
Used corectly either can be very effective all have their place . Training is a must with any system.
sometimes the best is the one most handy when needed train with all. Even if it's a bat. WATCH OUT FOR ZOMBIES.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:36:16 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:30:27 PM »
Well if you're asking about a home defense long guns, basically I don't see a need for one against home invasion.

Now if you live with big kitties or bears around that's a different thing.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

101st Trooper

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »
12 ga. pump gun, double 0 buck

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 09:06:49 PM »
12 ga. pump gun, double 0 buck

If you're shooting from the front porch that's fine but if you trying to maneuver in a house, nope.

Dharmaeye

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 10:15:09 PM »
If you're shooting from the front porch that's fine but if you trying to maneuver in a house, nope.

Totally agree. Personally my CCW and first line of home defence is Glock 23 with 13+1 of 155grn Federal HST.  If I had a big house I might sling my 12 guage (knoxx stock) with Eotech or AK with red dot as a back up.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »
If you are picking off Taliban hangin' around your mailbox rifles are fine, if not, tactical Rifles and Shotguns are unwiieldy in a home. The bad guy can see it coming around a corner and maybe grab it. Handguns are better. Revolvers are ALMOST foolproof, but I prefer autoloaders just becuase you usually have MORE ROUNDS.
A really great round for handheld human stopping power at close range is the .45acp. You can get dozens of different 45s that would make a nice home defence weapon that have REAL stopping power. To make it safer to fire in a populated area, use hollow point or expanding jacket (EFMJ) ammo that will flatten out and slow down when it hits something.

Get some training, or at least read as much as you can and watch as many videos as you can to learn stuff.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk