Author Topic: Loading spring, It seems to be clumsy  (Read 6041 times)

ranger_75

• Allen Bottorff 1SG Ranger (Ret)
  • Forum Member
  • I will always be a Soldier.
    • VP and half owner in this company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Loading spring, It seems to be clumsy
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:07:50 PM »
Hello Gang
I was a tactical marksman, two out of my three tours in vietnam. I did not use bolt action rifles.  So I'm new to them. After 33 years I decide to shoot paper long distance and close, Just for accuracy, fun and maybe some competition.
   I put together Remington 700 SS R5 Mil-spec., An IOR 10X56 mil scope,
with modified mil_spec lighted reticle. I shoot all same lot Federal Gold Match,168 Grain ,boat-tail. I use a Can on it some of the time. It hits  very good . Well enough foreplay.  My question is with the loading spring, It seems to be  clumsy.And mis-feeds  alot. I have just been single loading it. I called Remington seems be a very good company most likely of the best I have worked with. No questions ask they Are mailing me a new spring. I wish to find out any of you experience some off youHello Gang
I was tactical marksman two out of my tree tours in vietnam. I did not use bolt action rifles.  So I'm new to them. After 33 years I decide to shoot paper long distance and close, Just for accuracy, fun and maybe some competition.
   I put together Remington 700 SS R5 Mil-spec., An IOR 10X56 mil scope,
with modified mil_spec lighted reticle. I shoot all same lot Federal Gold Match,168 Grain ,boat-tail. I use a Can on it some of the time. It hits  very good . Well enough foreplay.  My question is with the loading spring, It seems to be  clumsy. And mis-feeds  alot. I am just single loading it. I called Remington seems be a very good company most likely of the best I have worked with. No questions ask they Are mailing me a new spring. I wish to find out any have had any  experience with this problem?
  My favorite Gun shop is Heritage Arms in  Salt Lake City UT. The folks around there seem to think M-14 magazine etc ,modifications are not a good solution. Any suggestions on these? Or any other ideas.
Thank you in advance for any help 

Cordially,

Allen E. Bottorff, 1SG US Army Ranger (Ret)
Ranger_75@mac.com

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
Re: Loading spring, It seems to be clumsy
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:33:32 AM »
Allen,
       Welcome to the boards and thank you for your dedicated service those many years ago.

It's looks like you have quite a nice setup.  The suppressor is a very nice touch.

When you say "loading spring" are you referring to the internal magazine spring or do you have a detachable box magazine system?

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

ranger_75

• Allen Bottorff 1SG Ranger (Ret)
  • Forum Member
  • I will always be a Soldier.
    • VP and half owner in this company
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:44:55 PM »
Thank you for your response.  Erik

The SS Mil-Spec. Just has a stainless steel receiver and the SS R_5 Heavy Barrel. No box. It holds four in the receiver and it  is the internal magazine spring that I'm talking  about. Thanks for the correct name. You might have some more of these mistakes with me until I get the  nomenclatures down. Until recently I had never fired a bolt action weapon. And the least amount of rounds I ever had loaded was eight with my first M-1 in 1961. I haven't received the new Spring yet from Remington. But I would like to set my rifle up more like the M_40 USMC Sniper rifle with a magazine. But I have been told that I would not be happy with any  of the alternative solutions out there. I want to hear more Ideas from you folks with some experience in these.

Thanks Again

Allen

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 04:23:20 PM »
HS precision makes a good magazine conversion, but it is pricey as are spare magazines. It is made of steel and is tougher than the factory trigger guard. The Accuracy International chassi for the 700 action is excellent and converts to a detachable mag as well, but once again they are high, 700.00 + depending on the extras. In the end I really like the chassi, it's tough, will hold its bedding a long time and balances really well, off hand or prone.
my 2 cents
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk