Author Topic: Thinking AR.......  (Read 8095 times)

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Thinking AR.......
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »
Thinking about a new AR in 5.56. What would you recomend in an entry level rifle? I can get add-ons as I advance in experience and familiarity with this platform. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

Steve
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Thinking AR.......
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:49:11 PM »
Sorry forgot to include that I will be using it for general plinking and home defense. Thanks again.

Steve

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:07:46 PM »
I would say get a flattop (A3) carbine.  That way you can put on irons, or optics, as you choose.  Of course you can add all the goodies and change to your suit your tastes, endlessly like the rest of us.  :)

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

enidpd804

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:51:19 AM »
There'a a bunch of good ones out there.  I just bought a Rock River myself.
Warren

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 03:41:40 AM »
I think it is hard to go wrong these days.  I am sure there are duds out there (as there are in every series of gun made) but for the most part I think one brand really is as good as another.  From what I have read, most of the lowers are made from the same 3 or 4 forges across the country and they just stamp whoever's name on them that is buying them.  If I remember correctly, (and don't take this for the Gospel) only Armalite, Colt, and Bushmaster forge their own lowers.  All the rest have them made for them.  I have a Bushmaster and a Double Star.  I put the Double Star together with a kit from Del-Ton.  I think the DS is every bit as good a gun as my Bushie.  So, it all boils down to personal preference.  Who's name you want stamped on your gun?  I do have to say that if you want a gun that will hold or even increase in value, you can't go wrong buying the original (Colt).
Life Member of the NRA

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:14:09 PM »

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 07:40:56 AM »
As everyone has already stated, most of the manufacturers are putting out a very good product.  Here's a few companies I'd recommend (In no particular order.  If you want exact preferences, PM me.)

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
CMMG
DPMS
Rock River
Sabre Defence
Stag Arms

Although I did recommend them, I would pass on the Colt, unless you found a really good deal.  Colts tend to bring premium prices because of the Colt name.  In my experience, several other companies make a product as good, if not better, than Colt at a lower price.  There is nothing wrong with Colts, they make a fine product.  They are just a bit more expensive.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 07:50:42 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I've already decided against colt, because of price. and the fact I'm a shooter not a collector. I'm leaning toward Rock River at the moment. Again, thanks for the posts.

Steve

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:45:21 AM »
Erik,
Any opinion on the  S&W M&P15?

Scott
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 08:41:46 AM »
Sorry, I knew I would leave someone out.  I just haven't conditioned my mind yet to remember that S&W now offers AR's!

Yes, I would recommend them.  The ones I have seen are working very well and the quality seems to be quite good.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »
I am having a lot of fun with my Rock River. I recommend the mid version -- 16" barrel and standard length forearm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk