Author Topic: I narrowed it down to three 45's  (Read 12244 times)

4dailyrunner

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I narrowed it down to three 45's
« on: August 29, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »
Hello:

First of all, I suspect many of the regulars get tired of the "...what should I buy" threads.  I appreciate your patience. Please let me thank you for your consultations in advance, if you choose to comment.  I have been a "read-only" member for a while, recently joined, and wanted to follow up on a lot of the research I have read.

I am in the market for a 45 acp pistol. This is what I narrowed down. (No order of preference intended). I know there is no perfect handgun.  I suspect my resources will allow only one.  'Would like to get it right the first time. My intended purpose is a range gun and home personal defense.

1 - Springfield XD 45
2 - Sig P220
3 - FNP 45
4 - HK45

It looks as though the price for this group is $500 -> $1000 USD.

1 - XD45:  People love it. There is lots of accessories in the after market.  (Shot a rental)

2 - SigP220 :  A Classic favorite with "merely" 8 rnd magazine. There are some rumors of an ejector problem on some of the newer ones.  (...no rentals available in my area.)

3 - FNP 45 :  Accuracy and light felt recoil.  BIG.  Good price. Rather unknown. I would definately need the small backstrap. (Held at counter. No rental available)

4 - HK 45 : Accuracy , dependability, and durability. Expensive Vendor is not friendly to civilian market. Parts and mags are largely more expensive. After market is limited.  (shot a rental in Full and compact sizes.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

~~
4dr

:)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: I narrowed it down to three 45's
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:37:11 AM »
Hello 4dr, and welcome to the DRTV Forum. None of us here will ever get tired of discussing .45's. (If anyone says they do, they are lying.) Since you narrowed it down to three, but listed four, we'll go with that.

All the ones you listed are full size, and have their pros and cons. IMHO.

Start in reverse order HK.45 : Sweet and overpriced. Not the best reports of customer service.
FNP .45, Nice right out of the box, reliable, priced right, but it is BIG. (FWIW, I have the FN9, Not 1 issue ever,..)

SigP220,  Know the customer service is great (Sig556 rifle owner), but the best I can offer is this review. Little overpriced but read the review.
http://www.christiangunowner.com/sigsauerp220.html

XD-45, It's a Springfield, Out of the box reliability, it was a toss up for me between the XD-40, and the M+P, I chose the M+P for the ambi features, and the grip felt better to me.

Did you look at the M+P .45?

With ammo prices the way they are for .45 I would go with the FNP, or XD, you do not get any extras but higher price with the other two.

Just my .02 cents. Ultimately it's up to what fits your hand, eyes, weight, and features, FOR YOU. Good list.

What do you plan for your choice? SD, competition, CCW, ? Let us know it will help.

TW

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Wheelgun Dunn

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:53:41 AM »
Here is my opinon, for what little it's worth.  I would go with the Springfield.  In addition to being a great gun (so are the others) they provide a nice hard case, holster, mag pouch, etc. with purchase a real good value.  Now as someone who as been shooting a while and carrying a while too that will not be your only holster!  However, it will get you going. 

More importantly the Sig, and HK while quality guns (I have no experience with the FN so I will not comment on that gun) both have decockers, or external safety mechanisms.  I do  not like personal defense guns that have those features.  If you aren't well trained and practiced you may forget to disengage the safety or what have you and not get a shot off when you need to.  I am a big fan of revolvers for this reason as well as many others.  (Hence the "Wheelgun" moniker) Anyway, the striker fired guns such as the Springfield and glock share this no external safety characteristic with the revolver.  Draw the gun and pull the trigger.  A gross motor movement, not a fine motor movement.  Much easier to rely on under stress.  Anyway I also like that they have consistent trigger pull not a traditional double action long first shot short subsequent shots.  Never sat well with me.  Good luck and you'll have fun no matter what you buy!  Just my opinion take it for what it's worth.  By the way welcome to the forum, crazy bunch of folks.

Wheelgun 

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »
I think I have to follow TW's lead on this.  Both the FN & XD would top my list.  Get the one that feels best to you.

Having said that, and being a 1911 fan, have you considered a double stack 1911 from Para Ordnance?

Here's a Kahr that is at the edge of your price range that would make a heck of home defense choice.   ;D
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/52708

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
 HK customer service is down right terrible, they do not want to deal with you for one crummy pistol, they do not support gun rights, they only want to deal with PD's and other Govt Agencies. Also, they have been installing RFID chips in some of their pistols, this could be a security issue for you.
Sig is a fine pistol made in this state, but the XD or FNP will both give you more rounds for less cost. While MB raves about his FNP, you have actually gotten to shoot the XD, so unless one has a feature you need that would be my choice of the ones you listed.
Welcome to the forum and don't worry, We NEVER get tired arguing about guns  ;D
And since you seem to have already eliminated Glock, you can ignore Ericire's post that will be coming up  ;D

I think I have to follow TW's lead on this.  Both the FN & XD would top my list.  Get the one that feels best to you.

Having said that, and being a 1911 fan, have you considered a double stack 1911 from Para Ordnance?

Here's a Kahr that is at the edge of your price range that would make a heck of home defense choice.   ;D
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/52708

Ichiban has a good point, there really is only ONE platform for the .45 ACP, I was handling a couple of "high Cap" Para .45's yesterday and the grip was nowhere NEAR as bulky as I expected, it was in fact quite comfortable.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:45:29 PM »

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »
Hello 4DR and welcome!

My picks would be the XD 45 or the FNP 45. Either is an excellent choice for the reasons already mentioned. I also would put a premium on the "knowns", if you will. You have shot the XD and how did that feel to you? If you weren't really impressed with the way it felt while firing it, then you should pass on it. Concerning the SIG, pick it up and see if you can reliably and easily use your strong-side thumb (assuming you are right handed) to de-cock the pistol. If you can not do that easily, I would consider the other pistols. And here's the text of a review of the FNP by Gun Tests magazine from their April 2009 issue:

FNH USA FNP45 USG No. 47938 45 ACP, $780

The FNP45 USG was the highest-capacity gun in the test. Two 14-round magazines with flat basepads arrived with our USG plus an additional magazine with rounded basepad set to hold 15 rounds. Each magazine body was buffed for fast handling and added resistance to collecting grime. Despite its 4.5-inch barrel and full-size stature, the USG made 15+1 rounds of 45 disappear. Unloaded weight was 29 ounces, and we really liked the military green frame that FNH refers to as Flat Dark Earth. The slide was black as were complements of the trigger, the ambidextrous magazine release buttons, and the ambidextrous safeties, which doubled as decocking levers. So were the slide latch on the left side and the slide release latches available from either side.

The frame offered a four-slot accessory rail on the dust cover, and beveled edges were molded into the magazine well. We found molded checkering on each side of the grip to be effective, as were the horizontal lines in the front strap. The backstrap was interchangeable with one alternate panel. Both panels offered horizontal lines. One panel was flat in profile, while the other provided a mild palm swell. Our staff was unanimous in choosing the flatter profile for our tests.

The gun was beefy and wide, but in the hand the USG felt smaller than its square profile and 1.56-inch maximum width. The slide was topped with snagfree sights that carried three white dots. The dots were boldly countersunk to keep them clean, but the excess depth made them appear as though they were night sights, but that was not the case. The rear unit had no sharp edges and a narrow taper. Its rear face was lined to reduce glare.

Removing the top end required the least work of our pistols. Lock back the slide, rotate the slide latch and slide the top end from the frame. Changing out the backstrap was even less demanding. A 1/16-inch punch was supplied to press into a small hole in the backstrap and release the locking tab. The panel slid off without effort.

Operating the FNH USA USG pistol brought us quickly to several conclusions. First, whenever the slide was locked back, it was more efficient to pull the slide to the rear and let it forward than it was to try to press down on the tiny release levers. Second, there was no fear whatsoever of accidentally decocking this pistol. The thumb of the strong hand, be it the left or right hand, had immediate access to the safety/decocker lever. The USG sat deeply into the grip, so the edge of the hand outside of the first knuckle fit neatly beneath the safety-decocker lever on the opposite side of the pistol. There was plenty of room to move the lever to the down off-safe position, but there was no danger that it would be moved further downward and decock the pistol accidentally.

Next, we found that the slide could be worked with the thumb safeties activated and held in the upward position. This meant that mechanically, the safeties were deactivating the trigger but not locking the action of the slide as it did in the CZ pistol. The HK 45C also allowed the slide to move freely with the safety on, but the trigger was locked. The FN pistol not only left the slide free to move but also the trigger was able to swing freely all the way back to the frame. Advantages to this design may be the ability to load the chamber or perform a press check more safely.

Firing the pistol in transition from double to single action was smooth but sluggish, in our view. The circumference of the grip limited the ability of most of our staff from getting a really strong purchase of the trigger when it was resting in its double-action mode. This was reflected in several 3-second elapsed times during our transition drill. Larger hands would have little trouble, in our view, but we found the safety to be so accessible and efficient we think this gun will most likely be carried cocked and locked, hammer back ready for single-action only fire.

From the bench our USG delivered 2.2-inch-wide groups with whatever ammunition we tried. This was not as tight as the other pistols but the gun seemed to thrive best on heavy ammunition. It soaked up recoil, and we enjoyed shooting the Hornady 230-grain TAP +P high-pressure loads in the FN more than we did from our other pistols.

The FNH FNP45 USG proved to be a formidable high-capacity weapon. It did a great job of hiding a big pile of ammunition, delivered it comfortably and offered a true mechanical safety. Simplified field-stripping and low maintenance add currency to this recommendation.

They usually assign a letter grade to their recommendations and the FNP received an A-, the highest rated of that test.

I hope this helps! And good luck!

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »
Not trying to argue with anyone here.  I've not shot any of these guns but I have researched them all at one time or another.

The Sig does have a decocker but does not have a safety of any kind.  The decocker is just for dropping the hammer to safe the pistol and make the guns first trigger pull double action and any subsequent SA.  The XD can be bought with a thumb safety and has similar controls to a 1911 pistol.  Other than that, it's a foreign manufactured gun (Croatia).  I think the FN is made in America and H&K is made overseas.  Correction...the XD no longer has the thumb safety option available...

Of those four, I probably wouldn't buy any other than the Sig.  Though I don't own one personally, there are three in the basement safe that I'm quite familiar with and they're made from American sweat and talent!

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:31:54 AM »
FN is made in Columbia SC
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »
This may come as a surprise, but I own a Sig P220 and love it - style, finesse, accurate, feels great int he hand, and loads of fun. That would be my #1.

#2 would be the XD, but I don't own one.

My $0.02 on the increasingly mis-named "I narrowed it down to three 45's" thread listing four .45s.

Thank you Doulas Adams . . . 
;)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk