Author Topic: 7.62x51 NATO ammo ok in DPMS .308?  (Read 31048 times)

bobodean

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
7.62x51 NATO ammo ok in DPMS .308?
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
Greetings all..
I have a DPMS 308L with 24" stainless barrel. Recently I had this gun at the range and all was fine. I was firing some Remington 180gr core-lock. Fired 20 rounds with no problems. Then I switched to some NATO stuff from 2005. After a few shots, the gun failed to extract. Upon finally getting the charging handle pulled back(very tough to do) the extractor had pulled a piece of the rim off. A cleaning rod was used to gently tap the brass from the chamber. It just took a touch and it popped free. The dealer where I bought this rifle told me that I should never,EVER use NATO ammo in this gun because it is in .308 and not 7.62x51 NATO. I thought they were the same. Previously, I had fired the NATO stuff with no problems. Whats the opinion?

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: 7.62x51 NATO ammo ok in DPMS .308?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
The two rounds are not the same.  You should only shoot what the manufacturer specifies.

Haz or Tom, can ya'll help out here?  I know one of you are on top of the difference and interchangeability issues.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:32:41 PM »
This is similar to the .223 not being the same as 5.56 NATO. I called both Colt and Ruger to make sure that I could fire either in my guns and found that I could. I would recommend doing the same. It will only take you a couple of minutes.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
I can't belive DPMS wouldn't chamber for surplus ammo. I mean, hello its an @#@#$ rifle! why would they not give max versatility. I would call them. If its not geared for the NATO stuff I will be dissapointed, but will learn from your misfortune. That really is too bad if its the case.
FQ13

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 06:01:40 PM »
7.62x51 NATO is not as powerfull as commercial 308 Winchester. As long as your weapon is chambered for 308, the NATO surplus is OK.

The reverse is true of 5.56 NATO compared to 223. You should never fire 5.56 surplus from a weapon marked for 223. Always check with the manufacturer if you're not sure.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:05:40 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
If it pulled a piece of the rim off it could be the ammo has the wrong pressure curve for your rifle. Most gas operated semi auto rifles like yours, the Springfield M-1A, and the M-1 Garand do not shoot well with ammunition that has powder with a slow burn rate. What happens is the pressure curve of the ammunition peaks too late, and can cause damage by cycling the gas system with too much pressure. This can cause all sorts of problems ranging from what you've experienced, all the way to bent operating rods and broken extractors. The new Hornady manual has seperate loads listed for the Springfield M-1A and the Garand because of this. These loads employ a powder with a mid range burn rate like IMR 4064, IMR 3031, or Varget. These powders allow chamber pressure to drop off before the gas port is exposed, thereby allowing the gas system to cycle without any undo force.

Springfield Armory has a list of suitable ammo they recommend for use in their M-1A rifles, and I'm sure DPMS has much the same. I would give them a call, or else shoot them an E-Mail. I'm sure they'll be glad to help.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:04:57 PM »
7.62 X 51 and .308 Winchester calibers ARE interchangeable, When a company says (like DSA in their FAL's ) not all ammo is acceptable their list goes by maker or lot and it will depend on how hot the ammo is loaded. For example they may say do not use South African, Chinese or West German.
The chances of getting GOOD gun advice from a gun dealer is about the same as getting good CAR advice from a used car salesman.
Check your extractor, and check the rim thickness of the NATO  ammo compared to the factory load.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »
Who made the milsurp ammo?

Generally, the .308/7.62 discussion is a non-starter unless the manufacturer has specific issues with one brand or another. It is not the same with .223/5.56 discussion, however, there should be no difference in shooting the .308 or 7.62. That is why I asked who made the milsurp ammo? If it is some crappo ammo, like the Pakistani manufacture, the variances in those cartridges cause a lot of a headaches, and is why generally people stay away (in droves) from the crappo stuff.

Anyone know of anything other than the Paki 7.62 that had cartridge quality issues?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »
This is the Ammo warning for DSA FAL's

http://www.dsarms.com/ammowarn.asp

Here's the link for DPMS

http://www.dpmsinc.com/

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 08:13:08 PM »
Here's a quick copy of something I previously posted on what I found out about .308/ NATO rounds interchangeability, with a link to some good stuff:

Now, the important part. From what I've read, the NATO chambers can be longer and that meets milspec. The heavier case prevents problems here. If you check your NATO chamber with a .308 field gauge, and it swallows it, that NATO rifle cannot safely shoot the thinner commercial .308 and you must check it with a NATO no-go gauge and field gauge to see if it is still ok for NATO ammo. If it fails the field gauge, it's a wall-hanger.

Essentially, all in spec .308 chambers can shoot NATO, all in spec NATO may be able to shoot .308

http://armedcanadian.blogspot.com/2007/11/shooting-308-out-of-762-nato-chambers.html

Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk