Author Topic: 38 degrees and drizzle  (Read 6518 times)

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
38 degrees and drizzle
« on: November 17, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »
I shot the Friends of Camp Perry Rifle Shoot today 11/17. 38 degrees, light drizzle and a nice breeze blowing up your back. I did alright shooting 2 relays scoring 29/40 and 26/40.

I just buillt this AR (actually my son did) two weeks ago. Got it zeroed the previous Saturday and put some shots down range to 100 yards. First time to shoot that distance. While I keep all my shots in a 6 inch circle I was worried about shooting out to 300 meters at the match.

I"m going back next year! Oh, my AR has a Colt upper and a DPMS lower, 20 inch barrel, A2 stock.

The match involves shooting prone at human size 3-D targets at distances ranging from 50 to 300 meters. The targets pop up from behind earthen mounds in a random  sequence. Shooters are presented with 40 target exposures of seven targets for five seconds each. They also put up 2 at a time.

This link is from last year... http://www.friendsofcampperry.org/112506PopupMatch.html

Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
Re: 38 degrees and drizzle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 04:49:31 PM »
Don,

Do you have an estimate on the measurements on those elevated platforms?  They look like just the ticket for winter shooting up here in the great white north.  A simple platform like that with some wheels mounted on two legs could be rolled in and out of the shed to shoot over the snow banks.  And if the snow gets too deep to roll it, just tarp it between play days.  Sure would beat blowing and clearing a 100 yard lane during precious daylight.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

LMIB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »
That sounds like a good time Don.  It reminds me a little of qualifying with the M16 during Basic in 1976.  My problem was that the green pop up torso's at Fort Leonard Wood were in visible to me at 300 yards, so I barely made Marksman.  I swear Fort Leonard Wood had more Jungle than Panama. If they had put that green target out in that red clay Leonard Wood was famous for , I might have done better.
 Did your son shoot?
You've come a far piece pilgrim.

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 05:46:34 PM »
Don,

Do you have an estimate on the measurements on those elevated platforms? 

Suppose to be "man" size...from the waist up... I'll send an e-mail and see if they will give me the measurements.
Don Worsham

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 05:48:41 PM »

Did your son shoot?

No, his wife had her office party scheduled prior to this match date.
Don Worsham

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:13:19 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
Suppose to be "man" size...from the waist up... I'll send an e-mail and see if they will give me the measurements.

Thanks.

Just remember that some men are bigger than others :o
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 08:58:36 AM »
Don,

Do you have an estimate on the measurements on those elevated platforms? 

In my previous post I thought you meant the measurements for the targets...duh! Not sure if the photo below helps you.

Don Worsham

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 10:36:26 AM »
In my previous post I thought you meant the measurements for the targets...duh! Not sure if the photo below helps you.

I understand.  I'm having more of those "duh" moments all the time.

Thanks - the pictures help a lot.

Looks like starting with a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and notch it to the size of a shooting mat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk